R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I started out racing in a carpet series with a Tamiya Mini and a Tamiya TT-01.

Sure the TT-01 to most isn't classified as a great car, but it gave me a really good jump to racing a touring car. When I bought my first used AE TC5R chassis I just appreciated the car that much more.

I'd say stick with what you have. If your having issues with the car, get one of the local good racers to test drive the car and let you know if there really is issues or not. You'd be surprised how helpful people will be.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexinter7 View Post
You are right sir FUN is the important thing here, thank you for your help, now when you say a new chassis, do you mean a carbon fiber one?
No, i mean a complete new car or kit that is better than the one you are currently driving. You have a nice entry level car, once you have mastered it and can get no more performance out of it, you should think to move to a mid range or pro type car, depending on what your budget can allow. It will probably take you 6 to 12 months to become master of your current car so i would not even worry about it till then.

Most of the upgrades you will make between now and then will be things you will take onto your next car anyways, tires, lipo batteries and charger, brushless motor and esc, faster steering servo and finally better radio system and all things that you can bolt into a new car and things that will last you a long time, other than tires of course which you will chew up in no time
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
No, i mean a complete new car or kit that is better than the one you are currently driving. You have a nice entry level car, once you have mastered it and can get no more performance out of it, you should think to move to a mid range or pro type car, depending on what your budget can allow. It will probably take you 6 to 12 months to become master of your current car so i would not even worry about it till then.

Most of the upgrades you will make between now and then will be things you will take onto your next car anyways, tires, lipo batteries and charger, brushless motor and esc, faster steering servo and finally better radio system and all things that you can bolt into a new car and things that will last you a long time, other than tires of course which you will chew up in no time
Ok i get it now, thank you
alexinter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I would get whatever chassis people are running. This will allow you to get help when you need it. How about a Tamiya mini?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The sprint flux 2 was so close to being a true out of the box VTA car there could have been, but they went with an overpowered motor and ESC. If you want to get in a class to learn and have some fun, I'd start with a Novak Edge and 25.5 Ballistic combo from Novak and race some Vintage TransAM. Great place to start and the racers in this class really know how to have fun. Other than electronics, your car should have the right tires and maybe even an approved body. (68 Camaro, 69 Z28, 70 Boss 302, Cuda, Challenger, 66 Mustang GT350, 65 Mustang 2+2 all made by HPI)
Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #21
Tech Master

If you are just running a track then ask the local racers which tires work best for that track and invest in a set. Tires are 70% of proper set up. From there learn how to tune the chassis you have. Don't spend anything on upgrades until you understand why you are upgrading. Since you are new to track driving you have a learning curve ahead of you. Don't make it more difficult by adding fancy parts.

If you decide you want to try out racing, pick a class and build the car according to the rules of the class. Don't waste your money on a 17.5 if you want to run vta (25.5 Novak motor only) Don't buy a non timing esc if you want to run mod touring car, etc.

As a word of advice, if you upgrade the electronics go with quality equipment. Not necessarily the most expensive top end stuff, just quality. Electronics can be moved from car to car and nice equipment will last you a long time.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #22
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
If you are just running a track then ask the local racers which tires work best for that track and invest in a set. Tires are 70% of proper set up. From there learn how to tune the chassis you have. Don't spend anything on upgrades until you understand why you are upgrading. Since you are new to track driving you have a learning curve ahead of you. Don't make it more difficult by adding fancy parts.

If you decide you want to try out racing, pick a class and build the car according to the rules of the class. Don't waste your money on a 17.5 if you want to run vta (25.5 Novak motor only) Don't buy a non timing esc if you want to run mod touring car, etc.

As a word of advice, if you upgrade the electronics go with quality equipment. Not necessarily the most expensive top end stuff, just quality. Electronics can be moved from car to car and nice equipment will last you a long time.
Good advice +1

My advice to anyone who already has bought a car is go drive it and have fun, join your local club, most will let you run what you brung and as you progress and become better advise you on classes that would best suit you and the rules of those classes.

After 4 or so weeks you will know weather you want to continue in the sport as well as what aspects of the sport you enjoy. You never know, after marshaling weeks of nitro racing you might find that nitro is what you want to drive.

For me, i went the opposite way, spent a lot of money on a nitro setup only to find that i preferred to drive EP and then had to do it all over again.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Stick with the chassis you got and practice.

Here's an analogy I've been playing guitar for 20+ years and someone recently said to me whilst i was trying a guitar out. That guitar sounds great! So i stopped and said how does it sound now?

I wasn't trying to be an arse it's the same with cars how fast does it go without a driver?