R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #436
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Prices have actually dropped.... We're actually paying less than we were 15 years ago.... I ran into some old RC mag's I had in boxes from the early 90's.... The car prices are exactly the same.....
Old 01-12-2005, 09:30 AM   #437
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by centax error!
If an increase is really inevitable then that additional cost should not be all pased to the end users (racers) and must be shared between the supplier, manufacter ,dealers, retailers and the racers.
With ample demand for a particular product the cost should almost always be passed along to the consumer. And rightfully so.

I do agree about decreasing costs by increasing efficiency. However that doesn't really provide any immediate cost relief to racers like the other suggestions might.

Revamping efficiency, though wonderful indeed, would not result in consumer cost decreases for years if ever. Often companies that secure increased available capital through decreasing costs reinvest these funds into research or implementation of new products and services as opposed to passing along savings. Passing along savings alone will reflect decreased revenues give the same volumes, while providing new innovative products not only boosts revenues but also reflects growth.

The only way to decrease costs effectively, from a business perspective, is to introduce or increase competition.

But again... all of this really goes beyond the scope of this thread's intentions.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #438
Tech Regular

In most areas, prices have definitely dropped.

Today, you can buy a processor-based, FM radio for around $130. A decade ago, you were lucky to find any FM radio for less than $200.

Today, RTR kits come well-equipped and still hardly cost more than a bare kit did a decade ago.

I think Josh is right in that many manufacturers have bore the cost of rising commodities, but I also would like to see more money going into Research & Development. I'm not naive enough to believe that the RC Industry will ever be at the forefront of technology to the extent that we will actually see new materials, processes or other types of technology emerge through this industry. We are actually quite far down the "trickle down" pathway.

This isn't a criticism of the manufacturer's, though. I think they've all done a great job, considering the size of this industry, but there is definitely room for improvement. The truth is - I am amazed that it has taken this long to implement Spread-Spectrum Technology into our radios. But now that it has arrived, I am looking to the RC manufacturers to quickly implement it across the board and not just reserve the technology for their high-end products.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #439
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Wow, I can pat myself on the back I read this whole thread!

Just my two cents:

I prefer the concept of using 4 cell over 5 cell for the reason of chassis balance for those who have saddlepack equipped vehicles. The issue of having to run a receiver pack however is a negative. Trying to convince the local guy to give up his 6 cell so he can now go and put in a receiver pack as well as the 4 cell may be hard. Already not enough room on alot of these vehicles.

Has anyone actually ran 4 cell stock or 4 cell 19 turn yet and compared the too? have they tried tuning the motor to have alittle more low end grunt? ( 766s, etc ). Some reports on this would be great.

Has there been any thoughts on this 4 cell thing for offroad? I know there is a decent amount of winter racers who run offroad in the summer, and I wouldn't want to have to have two seperate types of battery packs being budget minded and all.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing that 1/10 scale pan touring chassis that AE made get more of a following. Let it run with the touring guys who run 6 cells but limit it to 4. Easier maintanence, etc.

As for those $30 motor brushes, wouldn't buy them. Rather just buy a V2 for around the same price as the "other" mod motor and go with the $4 brushes that are sold for it. seems the $30 price is set to makeup for the fact that they last longer.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #440
Tech Regular

Most ESC's can run on 4 cells with no problems.

4 Cell offroad is another very interesting concept. Longer air time, possibly?
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #441
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just FYI, I've run 3 cell brushless 1/12 scale. Yes 3 cell. It was an attempt to satify the 27T whiners that didn't like the idea of the Novak 4300 running with them. It was a bit slower than the 27T 4 cell, but I was suprized to find that everything worked, receiver, transponder, ect. I can't imagine you would need a separate Rx pack if you are running 4 cells.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #442
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Guys,
a simple question. WHy are we looking to go to 4 cells, and where did the drive start from?

I knew nothing about it until i read this thread. There no one talking about it down here(ausralia) except for the people who know about this site!!

just trying to keep up with things

Simon
Old 01-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #443
Tech Champion

JKA - The problem with adding competition to the market is dilution of the market. I have it from some very reliable sources that world wide the R/C Car consumer base is static. That is genereally for every one person that gets into R/C cars one person get out of the hobby. It has actually been like this for a couple of years. This is not good. There should be growth. As a result some manufacturers are developing hot new products. Others are refining existing markets to make things better.

More competition just gives everyone a smaller cut of the same size pie.

Cypress - The NHL and NFL ...what do they have to do with racing? Try F1, NASCAR , WRC, IMSA, SCCA, FIA....all have rules limiting classes and restricting development to keep costs down and keep participants interested in racing
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:03 PM   #444
Tech Champion

Bluey - Several people have been talking about this for years. I just made it public to see what people though of it.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:08 PM   #445
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SammyXp
4 Cell offroad is another very interesting concept. Longer air time, possibly?
I think 2wd offroad would be the easiest class to make this switch. They are currently running 12 and 13 turn motors. 4 cell with a 8 or 9 would probably be competitive. Truck might be a different story.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #446
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

The 4 cells idea a cool idea but its going to change racing if it takes off. You will see more and more cars built and designed around 4 cells like with Oval. I think there are plenty of good benefits to going to 4 cells but going to 5 cells might be a better way to go. If you go to 5 cells then you will have less of a need to run a receiver pack. All current cars and chassis will work and might have even better weight distribution. If you weighed a 6 cell pack and then weighed all your necessary electronics like ESC, Servo, Rec, and Personal the 6 cell pack is still quite a bit heaver. With going to 5 cells it might bring a better balance to cars and also ease some of the wear that people are talking about getting rid of by going to 4 cells. And if you think that going to 4 cells will allow more good quality cells on the market you are just fooling yourself. The best cells will still be kept for team drivers no matter how many cells are used. If you went to 5 cells the only things that would really need to be changed right away is some Battery discharge trays. If you go to 4 cells you are going to see all new cars and chassis on the market. I donít know but I would rather buy a 30 to 60 dollar tray then go out and get a whole new chassis or even car kit. If you think its not going to happen just look at Oval and ask the guys over there. Either way I would be up to any sort of change if its 4cells or 5cells.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #447
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

ooops
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:56 PM   #448
Tech Regular

i need a cheap 4 cell pack to power my hudy lathe any links on where to buy one? tower only sells on trinity pack but their sold out to late feb. and i need to make some cuts now!? thanks
p.s. they have to be pre assembled
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #449
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

kh15 - PM me your address and I'll send you one.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #450
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
JKA - The problem with adding competition to the market is dilution of the market. I have it from some very reliable sources that world wide the R/C Car consumer base is static. That is genereally for every one person that gets into R/C cars one person get out of the hobby. It has actually been like this for a couple of years. This is not good. There should be growth. As a result some manufacturers are developing hot new products. Others are refining existing markets to make things better.

More competition just gives everyone a smaller cut of the same size pie.

More competition means competitive prices and is going to drive manufacturers to do more research and offer customers a much better product on the table than before. As a result this is going to draw more customer base hence increasing the size of the pie and will compensate for the amount of cuts. If RC customer base is static as you pointed out this will be the answer but I doubt it's true, you have to double check on that. Companies that has more or better products to offer on the table will have a bigger portion and companies that just sit and do nothing will have the smallest portion. The objective of this discussion is to benefit the racers and not us worrying the manufacturers. If that's the case then this discussion is not going anywhere so is Electric RC.

CE
centax error! is offline   Reply With Quote