R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2005, 10:25 AM   #391
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by CypressMidWest
Everyone send me $30 and I'll form a new sanctioning body, once I've reached around 100 grand.

I've been a big ROAR basher my entire time in the hobby. ROAR paid little to no attention to the on-road market untill the advent of the TC, so I took issue with that and let my opinions be known.

That being said, I've always appreciated the fact that some individuals are willing to sacrifice their time & energy to deal with the issues pertaining to the stupid little cars that we race, and all the crap we give them for doing so.

I try to bash the organization less, and stick to bashing the decisions they make.

My problem is that we vote officials into office and that's pretty much where our say in matters ends. It really doesn't matter because virtually noone votes anyway.
I heard Norrca is forsale!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:41 AM   #392
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Now I have heard it all, Everyone is compaining about ROAR this and ROAR that. I will echo what another person wrote. "VOTE" if you are a member than VOTE. I got the recent Voting numbers and I am displeased. Only 3.5% actually voted (are you kidding me) there was a bigger voter turn out about if a curb could be painted yellow or white. Man anyone who is complaining and didn't VOTE should take back there comments and VOTE next time. I voted for my region and I am very pleased with MY VOTE, Steve Wang is awsome (he has grasped what most racers will agree is most important-stop the price wars and put out only quality items for sale through his web site www.speedtechrc.com). I have talk to him personally and he expresses that he wants to improve all things with in his power. To all who VOTED and your representative is a lazy lump, Call them ask them to provide information on what they are doing to improve things. They are your Representatives they do work for you 9or they are supposted to). END OF RANT.
GO 4 CELL RACING
Thanks for listening to this rant,
Take Care All & GOD Bless,
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:03 AM   #393
Tech Elite

When did this thread get hi jacked by roar haters!

Hey what about the 4 cell stuff? I actully liked reading everyones opinion!

Adrian Care to comment!

And dont even dare to think about it!!! you know what I am talking about!

Oh by they way nice phone conversation I did understand some of your points. Makes sense but there is always yeng and yang.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #394
Tech Addict

I like the 4 cell idea better than 5 cell.

Reason nr. 1 is: It's pretty hard to get 5 cell saddlepack properly balanced on the car.

We may be barking up the wrong tree here. What about the Li-Poly cells. They are multiplies of 3.7 volts. IMHO 4 cell class will die when the Li-Polys are allowed for general racing.

Idea. Why not make the race length dependant on the mAh of batterys and class being raced?

Let's say you race 1 minute for every 500 mAh in 1500 gram 1/10 touring class. With the current crop of cells it means the races would be for 6-7 minutes, and up to 8 minutes when the first 4000 mAh cells arrive. With 8000 mAh Li-poly cells the races would be for 16 minutes.

Let's say you race 1 minute for every 350 mAh in the 1/12 pan car class. With the 3600 mAh cells it means the races would be for 10 minutes, and up to 11 minutes when the first 3850 mAh cells arrive, 12 minutes when the first 4200 mAh cells arrive. 22 minute mains for 8000 mAh Li-Poly cells. Nitro all day long! Hah. Only if you refuel. Put Brushless motors in the 1/12 cars and race for 1 minute for every 250 mAh, use 8000 Li-Poly. How does 32 minute mains sound.

I mean everyone has the newest cells. I'm sure some limit like this would slow all the cars down a little bit and racers would gear the motors to last the time, with cooler and longer lasting motors and stuff like that. And the best thing is. We'd all get more track time.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #395
Tech Regular

The problem with Li-Po? Expense.
The beauty of the 4-cell concept is to reduce costs, not increase it!

Same goes with brushless. Too expensive for the novice.

I've been far too intimidated to get into racing because of the speeds. A 4-cell class sounds far less daunting. A car that inspires confidence is already faster.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #396
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

At $200-200 *once* for a complete system you can race for years, brushless is not "too expensive" for novices.

"Too expensive" is when you have to spend $150 for a speed control and motor...then brushes, lathe, motor spray and all the other BS you need for the "old school" motors. Regardless of the expense, don't discount the fact that that's another system you have to learn how to maintain -- at a time when you have plenty on your plate already.

People will invest the money (extra $50) if they know it's a bargain in the long run. They run an hide as soon as you give them a hint about how much work it takes to maintain a "stock" motor. Like I said before...I hate to race at places that won't allow a 4300 in stock. I'm sick and tired of having to miss practice time because of motors.

Titus and OC Circuit allow them..I'll just race there, where I can have fun and not have to mess with the whole motor scam. I might try to run 4 or 5 cell with the brushless, though...
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #397
Tech Elite

Quote:
Same goes with brushless. Too expensive for the novice.
But you're going to tell the novide that he must drop 2 cells off his packs and now they are useless for anything else....

Hi, not everyone just races TC's....

We are a smaller percentage of the market than our ego's tell us we are....
Old 01-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #398
Tech Regular

Turbo Joe, regardless of the long term economical benefits - the initial cash outlay for a brushless system is still fair greater for a novice. Most novices do not dish out the hundreds extra for hot motors, high-dollar ESC's and motor lathes until they are well advanced in the hobby.

As for dropping 2 cells from a standard 6-cell pack - very few racers (even a novice) will have just one battery pack. You can take two 6-cell packs and turn them into three four cell packs, especially if they are from the same matched batch.

Regardless of what percentage of the hobby TC's make up - the title of this thread is still "4 Cell Sedan Racing".
Old 01-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #399
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

If I turned all my six cell packs into 4-cell packs (just my race packs mind you-doesnt include my crap practice packs) I would have like 10.5 4-cell packs.

Think about that!!! I could run pack after pack till the cows came home and still not run through all my packs in a day.

Long term-major savings!!! I would have say 6 to 8 4-cell packs to run both 12th scale and touring. and my usual 3 or 4 packs of junk practice packs. Sounding better all the time.

I still think the idea of 4-cell 19t and 4-cell mod sounds great!!! I dont know what to do about 4-cell stock. Does not sound to appealing to me nor do I think speed hungry novices will care for it either.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:08 PM   #400
Tech Elite

Quote:
As for dropping 2 cells from a standard 6-cell pack - very few racers (even a novice) will have just one battery pack. You can take two 6-cell packs and turn them into three four cell packs, especially if they are from the same matched batch.
You're assuming that they have Matched side by side packs and not stick packs.... How many of you who started racing on your parents paycheck would have liked to explain to them that those $29 6 cell sport packs are no good for racing and now they need to shell out another $30-60 for a 4 cell battery pack or 3 so they can race....

We're talking about lowering costs, which this won't do....
Old 01-05-2005, 03:14 PM   #401
Tech Master

If running 4 cell mod is the answer to the end of stock motors then I'm all for it.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #402
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
You're assuming that they have Matched side by side packs and not stick packs.... How many of you who started racing on your parents paycheck would have liked to explain to them that those $29 6 cell sport packs are no good for racing and now they need to shell out another $30-60 for a 4 cell battery pack or 3 so they can race....

We're talking about lowering costs, which this won't do....
True, you won't get any benefit out of most of your existing packs. But your existing packs aren't currently costing you anything. If we're referring to reducing the cost of racing, 4-cell packs are cheaper to replace.

Further cost savings are likely to be seen in fewer broken and worn parts due to lower stresses, decreased impact, and less wear.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #403
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by andsetinn
Why not make the race length dependant on the mAh of batterys and class being raced?
Let's say you race 1 minute for every 500 mAh ......the races would be for 16 minutes.....How does 32 minute mains sound?
I mean everyone has the newest cells. I'm sure some limit like this would slow all the cars down a little bit and racers would gear the motors to last the time, with cooler and longer lasting motors and stuff like that. And the best thing is. We'd all get more track time.
I like this idea best, more tracktime!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #404
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Until the battery wars start up again and you are paying over $100 dollars a pack.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #405
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Most of the racing population are club racers, hobby-ists so to say, who can buy unmatched packs and go nearly as fast as the next guy who buys a $100 pack. For me, and them, a battery war is only going to hurt the walletts of the top echelon of club racers. At least that's the way I see it.