R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2004, 09:12 PM   #271
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Nrctc3
Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent most 1/12 sedan chassis designed for 4 cell packs? Why not just open up that class & leave the 6 cell classes.
I agree someone has already come up with 4 cell sedan racing and has designed cars for it. I would rather see someone support these cars. We already have enough class seperation going on. Sportsman, stock, 19t, mod. How many other classes do we need? The more classes added is just going to thin out the other classes and make for smaller fields in each one.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:14 PM   #272
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to thedominator
Default Re: In Response

Quote:
Originally posted by blownawayig

I have another question, Why do tires, be it TC Rubber, Off-Road Rubber or foams cost so much. A set of 4 mounted TC Rubber Tires $30+, Nitro Foams $15-20 for a set of 2, Stadium Truck Tires $18-20 a pair, Monster truck Racing (Revo, T-Maxx etc), $30-40 a pair, 1/8 scale Off-road $28-$40 per pair...

When I raced the ROAR Reg 12 race, I bought 2 sets of tires for the weekend, $67 with tax...I saw racers going thru the trash cans salvaging throw away tires. The factory guys cut the tires off the wheels then threw them away...

Tires are in issue in ANY form of motorsports, R/C cars, Karts, Nascar, F1, Open Wheel, Superbike, Motocross, Dirt Oval, Bicycle Road Racing, X-Country and Specially Downhill MTB racing, BMX...

So here's another issue toss in the fray.

they are so much because people are willing to pay that price. You can't race without tires. The foams I use now cost $11 a pair and i think that it reasonable.
thedominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:29 PM   #273
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink

Lets just compromise here guys. How about we run 5cell TC.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:46 PM   #274
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

It seems as if some people have lost focus on the purpose of the thread. Adrian brought up 4-cell mod as a replacement for 6-cell mod as it seems we are on the edge of life for the current modified motors.

The pros -

Motors would last longer

Tires would last longer

Will break less parts

Batteries will be cheaper

The cons -

Cars wont be as fast/ punchy

Another solution to this would be to reconfigure the rules for modified motor design. These motor rules are at least 20 years old that I know of. That would be a major undertaking by all the Ifmar blocs plus the major manufacturers.

Im all for cars as fast as we can make them but my wallet doesnt like the idea of having to buy brushes and armatures as often as I do now.

I am really hoping for brushless to get as fast as the current crop of brushed modifieds. That seems like the most probable solution but still a few years off.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:54 PM   #275
Tech Apprentice

Default 4 cell sedan racing, lets do it

I have the perfect track to do 4 cell sedan racing at. Guys, Come up here to Hesperia, CA and 4 Fun Hobbies and Raceway. The track is totally awesome. It's technical, it's permanent asphalt, can be run in both directions. this is not a horsepower track,,,this is a drivers track. No particular car has any advantage here. Great 1/10 scale and 1/12 scale track.

The ROAR Reg 12 Championships were held here in Oct. Losi did a great deal of testing for the new JRX-S here.

I know that anyone that would venture up here will totally enjoy the track and the shop.

It's only an hour or a little more from most of Orange County or most of LA

And us locals would enjoy the competition...

go to: www.4funhobbiesandraceway.com
blownawayig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #276
Tech Master

Default Re: In Response

Quote:
I have another question, Why do tires, be it TC Rubber, Off-Road Rubber or foams cost so much. A set of 4 mounted TC Rubber Tires $30+, Nitro Foams $15-20 for a set of 2, Stadium Truck Tires $18-20 a pair, Monster truck Racing (Revo, T-Maxx etc), $30-40 a pair, 1/8 scale Off-road $28-$40 per pair...

When I raced the ROAR Reg 12 race, I bought 2 sets of tires for the weekend, $67 with tax...I saw racers going thru the trash cans salvaging throw away tires.
I can make a set of tires last 3/4 a full racing season! Then again I'm one of those guys who digs the trash
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:41 PM   #277
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Smash
Another solution to this would be to reconfigure the rules for modified motor design.
I would definitely push for something like this as opposed to 4 cell mod replacing 6 cell mod. When I tried 4 cell mod the other night, though faster than 6 cell stock, it wasn't even as challenging as 6 cell stock.

It was still a blast and I still say eliminate the crappy stock class replacing IT with 4 cell Mod. You stock guys HAVE to be tired of relying upon dyno's just to be close.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:55 PM   #278
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by JKA
It was still a blast and I still say eliminate the crappy stock class replacing IT with 4 cell Mod. You stock guys HAVE to be tired of relying upon dyno's just to be close.

Exactly
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:41 PM   #279
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to 2ffu

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Joe
It's the most reliable piece of electronics I have. It's a shame that it's relegated to "practice-only"...especially when it's no faster than a well-tuned monster. I get passed by them all the time.
I get to have a good time playing with my car and driving, instead of jacking around with POS Trinity motors all day. [/B]
i loved my novak brushless as long as my pack would charge i could always count on my 5800 to turn on and move my car. i hate racing straigh up. why? because of all the shit i have to do. i admit i can't set up a car, its just a skill i have yet to obtain. i really would like a spec class so the guy with the big wallet does not have as much of an advantage at the teenager with a rediculus car insurance bill to pay. this is why i liked nitro as longa s my fuel was good and my carborater was tunned ( i could do that) i knew my car would run fine. right now 1/12 pan with a brushless is sounding like an ideal setup, not much maintence.

just my $.02
2ffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:50 PM   #280
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Re: 4 cell sedan racing, lets do it

Yeah...it sounds like a cool place...just wish it was somewhere else besides Hesperia.

It's about an hour drive each way (58 miles on mapquest) to there from Corona (another 30-60 minutes from LA or OC)...if there's no traffic...and there's ALWAYS traffic...at least when you'd want to go up there.

Don't get me started on the weather...LOL

Quote:
I have the perfect track to do 4 cell sedan racing at. Guys, Come up here to Hesperia, CA and 4 Fun Hobbies and Raceway. The track is totally awesome. It's technical, it's permanent asphalt, can be run in both directions. this is not a horsepower track,,,this is a drivers track. No particular car has any advantage here. Great 1/10 scale and 1/12 scale track.

The ROAR Reg 12 Championships were held here in Oct. Losi did a great deal of testing for the new JRX-S here.

I know that anyone that would venture up here will totally enjoy the track and the shop.

It's only an hour or a little more from most of Orange County or most of LA

And us locals would enjoy the competition...

go to: www.4funhobbiesandraceway.com
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:52 PM   #281
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Don't complain, my local track right now is 3 hours one way.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:55 PM   #282
Tech Apprentice

Default it's only a little ways

Come on guys,,,Thise of us that have lived here inthe high desert have ALWAYS had to drive down the hill...For years it was Ranch Pit Shop,,, Hobby Bench, RCRC, Tq Hobbies...

It's worth it...
blownawayig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:13 AM   #283
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Wink Re: it's only 60+ miles when we have two or three tracks closer.

Good deal then -- now you don't have to...

Quote:
Come on guys,,,Thise of us that have lived here inthe high desert have ALWAYS had to drive down the hill...For years it was Ranch Pit Shop,,, Hobby Bench, RCRC, Tq Hobbies...

It's worth it...
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:50 AM   #284
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: it's only 60+ miles when we have two or three tracks closer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Joe
Good deal then -- now you don't have to...

Earlier in the thread you posted numerious times about the "monster glitch".... I am wondering what you are doing to your equiptment?? I have never had a glitch with the monster, and between myself and my buddy we have had well over a dozen monsters..... For the longerst time he was running an 15+ year old futaba AM radio..... neither of us have the newest equiptment, my Mars radio is among the newest of my stuff and it's 4 years old.... not to mention I run an X-Ray with teh C/F chassis and he has 2 XXX-S G+'s.... you can't get you motor much closer to glitch causing materials than that....LOL

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:33 AM   #285
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to thedominator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Smash
Don't complain, my local track right now is 3 hours one way.
ouch, and I thought I had it bad driving an hour and 20 minutes.
thedominator is offline   Reply With Quote