R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2004, 02:49 AM   #241
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 105
Default

What about using smaller batteries and motors, keeping the car in 1/10scale but couple hundred grams less?

MonoTuning
monotuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:02 AM   #242
Tech Elite
 
speedxl's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland Oregon.
Posts: 3,881
Default Re: Re: Re: in answer..

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
True, but I think, if I'm not mistaken, that you just entirely supplemented blownawayig's viewpoint...

- jaybee
read all my previous post! I have mentioned about the crying! And I do agree with blownawayigs view I just replied to him. I dont see a supplement!
where did he say the reasons why the other countries do better! Dude read alittle slower!
__________________
Pemberton / R1 / All out motorsports / Team Power Push

Last edited by speedxl; 12-30-2004 at 04:18 AM.
speedxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:16 AM   #243
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

The issue with LiPo cells is how fragile they are. Hard hits could cause internal shorts and shorts result in some pretty spectacular fires. Over discharging really kills LiPo too. You have to set a hard cut off voltage in airplane speed controls to protect the cells. In a car you would accelerate out of a corner and your car would just shut down. Pulling too many amps can cause a thermal runaway in the cells and a fire. Over charging can cause a thermal runaway and a fire. Charging a pack that took a crash the week before can cause a fire.

LiPo cells also require completely different chargers and users that self educate themselves about how dangerous LiPo bats can be. Airplanes guys by the nature of what they do read instructions and are very careful. If they aren't someone can have fingers chopped off, cars get speared by out of control planes and in rare instanced people have died.

R/C cars are not that dangerous. As a result there are lots of R/C car users that don't read instructions and are pretty careless about what they do. These are the guys that would accidentally burn down their houses or full size cars with LiPo's. These are the guys that will delay LiPo cells from getting into cars by 5 years. Manufacturers are just to scared of litigation to put something that requires careful use in the hands of average R/C car guys.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:24 AM   #244
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Regarding Brushless...I don't know anyone that isn't excited by the possibility of running Brushless motors. The problem is that they are not mature technology yet in our application. Right now there is no drivable Brushless system that is as fast as a open mod brushed motor. Sure a you can get a Hacker and a huge speed control to go as fast but it is not as drivable and will not fit into a lot of current cars.

The limitation is speed controls...specifically FETs that can handle the loads and spikes and can still be purchased at a price that lets manufactures sell speedo's for less than $500.

Its coming. But we wont all be running Brushless for another couple of years or until all the bugs are worked out.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #245
Tech Master
 
jag88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

How cool would it be to run a 4 cell Associated RC10L3 with a 19T motor. Easy to set up, cheap parts replacment, same electronics, same body, same tires/wheels (adapters req'd), lighter and probably fast as hell and easy to drive. Wow, too cool !
Oh well ................ just day dreaming.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:30 AM   #246
Tech Master
 
timmay70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,701
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

You will want the big tires that we used on pan cars. Narrow tires will be a handful.
__________________
Speed Merchant Rev7, Tekin, TQ Racing (wire), Team Tamale
RC Excitement - Buy where you race, support your local tracks.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:52 AM   #247
Tech Elite
 
speedxl's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland Oregon.
Posts: 3,881
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by jag88
How cool would it be to run a 4 cell Associated RC10L3 with a 19T motor. Easy to set up, cheap parts replacment, same electronics, same body, same tires/wheels (adapters req'd), lighter and probably fast as hell and easy to drive. Wow, too cool !
Oh well ................ just day dreaming.
You have that already! its called oval!
__________________
Pemberton / R1 / All out motorsports / Team Power Push
speedxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #248
Tech Elite
 
vtl1180ny's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wrong Island
Posts: 4,963
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by speedxl
You have that already! its called oval!
There is the RC10L3T.... Intended for on road, not oval.....

Quote:
How cool would it be to run a 4 cell Associated RC10L3 with a 19T motor. Easy to set up, cheap parts replacment, same electronics, same body, same tires/wheels (adapters req'd), lighter and probably fast as hell and easy to drive. Wow, too cool !
I've been doing the same....
__________________
I still lurk....
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:06 AM   #249
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

We have been trying to get class going in our state series, 4 cell 19t Pan car with GT bodies ( Foam Tires). It has totally been stillborne. Maybe Speed or Bullfrog can shed some light on it. But the point is, nobody runs it, even when they have the option to.
__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #250
Tech Master
 
EricF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,547
Default Re: Isn't this a great country

Quote:
[i]...hell, I'd race toasters if that was what they raced here. But then, there's the 2 slice, 4 slice and bagel sized issue... [/B]
NOW THAT'S FUNNY!!!
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #251
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
The issue with LiPo cells is how fragile they are. Hard hits could cause internal shorts and shorts result in some pretty spectacular fires. Over discharging really kills LiPo too. You have to set a hard cut off voltage in airplane speed controls to protect the cells. In a car you would accelerate out of a corner and your car would just shut down. Pulling too many amps can cause a thermal runaway in the cells and a fire. Over charging can cause a thermal runaway and a fire. Charging a pack that took a crash the week before can cause a fire.

LiPo cells also require completely different chargers and users that self educate themselves about how dangerous LiPo bats can be. Airplanes guys by the nature of what they do read instructions and are very careful. If they aren't someone can have fingers chopped off, cars get speared by out of control planes and in rare instanced people have died.

R/C cars are not that dangerous. As a result there are lots of R/C car users that don't read instructions and are pretty careless about what they do. These are the guys that would accidentally burn down their houses or full size cars with LiPo's. These are the guys that will delay LiPo cells from getting into cars by 5 years. Manufacturers are just to scared of litigation to put something that requires careful use in the hands of average R/C car guys.

Regarding LIPO cells. Look at your cell phone and laptop. They seem to charge just fine without fires or explosions. Yes the cells are dangerous, but so are the cell we use. Ironically, at the track last night somebody had a pack that exploded like a gun shot. Once the manufactures or other people figure out high current LIPO cells (they are really close) it will be no more dangerous than the cells we have now.

The charging of LIPO isn't the issue, it's really simple and how you charge your real car battery when it's dead.

Constant amps to a voltage and then constant voltage with the amps falling off to get the capacity. Very simple.
__________________
Velocity RC Magazine
www.vrcmag.com
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:53 AM   #252
Tech Elite
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Gotcha...for "Open Mod"

For the other 75-80 percent of us, though...brushless technology is here, affordable and works like a dream.

Let 4300 motors run in stock and you wouldn't have any brushed motors in 2 months...not because the 4300 is more powerful (it's not), but because it's more more fun, reliable and you'd probably end up getting around the track a little faster because you'd have a better race car -- due to the extra laps you'd get in practice.

If someone wants to stick with brushed stuff and think they have an advantage...good for them. The rest of us would have a great alternative that would allow for more fun and less spending/waste.

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
Regarding Brushless...I don't know anyone that isn't excited by the possibility of running Brushless motors. The problem is that they are not mature technology yet in our application. Right now there is no drivable Brushless system that is as fast as a open mod brushed motor. Sure a you can get a Hacker and a huge speed control to go as fast but it is not as drivable and will not fit into a lot of current cars.

The limitation is speed controls...specifically FETs that can handle the loads and spikes and can still be purchased at a price that lets manufactures sell speedo's for less than $500.

Its coming. But we wont all be running Brushless for another couple of years or until all the bugs are worked out.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 12-30-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:53 AM   #253
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Derek - It's not that simple. Cell phone and laptops are made idiot proof. R/C racer will push the cell far beyond phone and laptop use.

Read this thread on R/C Groups to get an idea of what can happen even with careful use of LiPo cells:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

This is what happen when you overcharge a lipo:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...d=130372&stc=1
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:00 AM   #254
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

This is an excellent safety video for LiPo use. The key points are always use a LiPo charger and be sure you are using the right settings or this WILL happen:

http://www.helihobby.com/videos/LithiumBattery.wmv
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:06 AM   #255
Tech Master
 
BlackKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northside San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,335
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Joe
Gotcha...for "Open Mod"

For the other 75-80 percent of us, though...brushless technology is here, affordable and works like a dream.

Let 4300 motors run in stock and you wouldn't have any brushed motors in 2 months...not because the 4300 is more powerful (it's not), but because it's more more fun, reliable and you'd probably end up getting around the track a little faster because you'd have a better race car -- due to the extra laps you'd get in practice.

If someone wants to stick with brushed stuff and think they have an advantage...good for them. The rest uf us would have a great alternative that would allow for more fun and less spending/waste.
I agree 100%
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sedan Racing @ MARCCA futureal MARCCA Discussion 86 08-25-2004 06:31 PM
Alex Racing 4wd sedan PIIHB! R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 04-24-2004 10:39 AM
indoor sedan racing Matt M. Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 8 12-20-2001 12:04 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:22 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net