R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2004, 06:21 PM   #136
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
Derek - I'm sorry....I can never aspire to reach the level of prose virtuosity you operate at on a daily basis. I guess that is why i'm one of those guys that does stuff and you are one of those guys that writes about stuff
I'm not quite sure how to take that comment. Hopefully you can explain that one to me tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:34 PM   #137
Tech Elite

Our motors work MORE efficiently on higher voltage NOT less, as expressed earlier. That is why electric r/c flyers go for a higher cell count. Better performance and longer flight times.
If you got better run time when switching from 7 cells to 6, you were radically over-geared with your 7 cell set-up. That was the beauty of 7 cells, you did not need to stand on the gearing to get speed! I ran bottom of the barrel batteries then and made time easilly. The 6 cell change was made at the suggestion of manufacturers and it benefitted drivers who did not have to buy their motors and batteries!
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #138
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Cool Great Idea

I think it is a great idea for new people to start in our hobby. I'll talk with Joe at Speedline Hobbies and see if we can try this in the Master's Class this week-end or next.
flbugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:07 PM   #139
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Derek - I was shooting for sarcasm and snottiness. If went over the top i'm sorry. I thought the wink would lighten the statement's impact.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:21 PM   #140
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I dont remember who brought this up but the fact that the full factory guys are the ones frying stuff makes me ponder what voltages are they running and what brush material are they running because I have never seen the forementioned problems of arms roasting and arms scorched!

WHY? ask our selves is it happening to them and not te he average joe. also stock and 19t racers dont have this issue so why push it on the rest of us who dont want it! maybe the factory guys need to slow down!

Go to 4 cell will just produce larger problems down the road. We dont have traction problems in touring maybe some of the mod guys can do it but thats part of racing is controling your throttle and steering along with the braking.

if someguys are blowing up stuff they may the Esc company should provide a functional and user friendly adjustment to regulate the voltage going into the speedo a "fuel preasure regulator of sorts" in our case a voltage regulator so . adjustable so each indiviual can regulate how much juice goes to the motor!!!

Oooh! we have that already its called punch control why dont they use that if they are frying stuff!

maybe they dont want to slow down.!
Full scale drivers dont push their cars full punch down the track they slow down and drive their car to the abilaty the equipment allows. You need the people to learn how to slow them selves down!
Old 12-28-2004, 07:26 PM   #141
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hector - Try it before you knock it. People a lot smarter and more in touch with the industry suggested that 4 cells be tried. There are a lot of advantages and no disadvantages. The people knocking 4 cell sedan would change thier minds if they really tried it and gave it an honest shot. Dude...we will talk at the next State race. Lets run a few time with 4 cell and you tell me what you think. I will even let you run one of my monster Orion 7x1 V2's
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:28 PM   #142
R/C Tech Founder

Man, this thread is like a bloodbath!
Old 12-28-2004, 07:35 PM   #143
Tech Elite

adrian I ll take you up on it!

Shane dont worry me and adrian are kool !
Old 12-28-2004, 07:39 PM   #144
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Man, this thread is like a bloodbath!
just call it "constructive critisism" I think it's a good idea and I hope it takes off but I can think of one problem. U.S. drivers will be at a disadvantage when it comes to international racing if the rest of the world is still running 6 cells. Granted the japanese run 8 minute mod and are still able to keep up but going to 4 cells is a bigger difference IMO.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:42 PM   #145
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
Derek - I was shooting for sarcasm and snottiness. If went over the top i'm sorry. I thought the wink would lighten the statement's impact.
Maybe it would have

If less cells is better maybe we should run 1-cell mod. We can all race glow ignitors.

Horsepower is the greatest equalizer. Too much eliminates the bitching that there isn't enough. If everybody can't control their cars it's not an equipment issue anymore. One of the great things about nitro off road. Power for the person next to you.

I vote 1 cell mod!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:00 PM   #146
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

My issue isn 't the cars being to fast, it is racing mod is too hard on motors. I think stock right now is too fast for the novices.

Maybe we should look at changing the motor rules too allow for new construction and technology in motors.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:09 PM   #147
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Smash
My issue isn 't the cars being to fast, it is racing mod is too hard on motors. I think stock right now is too fast for the novices.

Maybe we should look at changing the motor rules too allow for new construction and technology in motors.
Hell yes. I've state this before. Rules impede progress

Also with the new motors and brushes I have no problems running mod without issues.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:52 PM   #148
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
Maybe it would have

If less cells is better maybe we should run 1-cell mod. We can all race glow ignitors.

Horsepower is the greatest equalizer. Too much eliminates the bitching that there isn't enough. If everybody can't control their cars it's not an equipment issue anymore. One of the great things about nitro off road. Power for the person next to you.

I vote 1 cell mod!!!!!!!
I will agree with derekB, horsepower is an equalizer. In full scale auto racing when it rains all the high horse power guys have to be gental on the throttle , and the low H.P. guys can smash the throttle the same amount. The cars are generally the same speed and its up to the guy with the brass cohones!

if you have to much brings on asort of confidence that lets you be smoother
knowing that you have big ponies under the hood.
Some of these guys drive harder to compensate for lack off H.P. so they overdrive the car and burn up the arm dump early, and smoke Esc's because the yank on the throttle to keep up with the other guys!
Like dereck said power for the person next to you!

I dont hear nitro guys saying lets slow down, they only complain about the price of their engines. But still buy engines and want to go as fast as they can till the engine blows. Derek I think nitro is where all the real racers are.
Old school electric always wanted what we race with and we are complaining that its too fast. Wow !!!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:00 PM   #149
Tech Champion

It's not that mod TC is too fast, it's that we are burning up brushes and motors going so fast. When running competitively in the mod class I was going through a pair of quasars every run and truing my motor every run. I don't even have to pay for my brushes or motors but this was a big pain in the butt, no wonder most people in the area I used to race started running 19T. Until the rules are changed to allow motor manufacturers to fundamentaly change the way motors are designed so they can take the abuse better, then the next best thing is to -TRY- 4 cell racing. Both Reedy and Orion have suggested the 4 cell route since changing the rules for motors would be a BIG undertaking, maybe they know something about motor abuse since they're the ones building them for their team members.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:02 PM   #150
Tech Master

There are 3 motors that now have the brushes to handle the power. It's not the motor but the brush.

Reedy 777
Trinity XXX

They are claiming 10-30 runs on the same brush.

And I remember running my Losi XX buggy with 7-cells and 14-turns and the car being a missle...and I didn't cut the comm for about 2 weeks or racing