R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 185 (100%+)
Default ESC Setup and Gearing advice

Just getting into 1/10 TC racing and could definetly use some help. I will be running at my LHS on an indoor medium traction track. It is a small track with a few chicanes and about a 30 foot straight away. We will be running 17.5 boosted. I will be running a S411 with a Tekin RS and Redline 17.5 motor. I have a 48p 84t spur gear installed, what would be a good pinion to go with that? Also any help setting up the esc would be great. I have a hotwire so any help with what settings I should use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Dangerous_toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

My club runs a 'GT2' style sedan class that calls for a maximum of 17.5 BL motors and zero boost. I have been using the Speed Passion Cirtix Series "Stock Club Race" ESC and Motor Combo (17.5T). I have been running a FDR of 4.10 in my FT TC3 sedan with excellent results. I run 64P gears as it allows for finer tuning over 48P and I am using a 77T spur and a 47T pinion. Tires are Sorex 24R. We allow any chassis and we have racers with TRF417, TC6, Serpent 411, Xray T3, etc... Hope this helps.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous_toys View Post
Just getting into 1/10 TC racing and could definetly use some help. I will be running at my LHS on an indoor medium traction track. It is a small track with a few chicanes and about a 30 foot straight away. We will be running 17.5 boosted. I will be running a S411 with a Tekin RS and Redline 17.5 motor. I have a 48p 84t spur gear installed, what would be a good pinion to go with that? Also any help setting up the esc would be great. I have a hotwire so any help with what settings I should use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
30 foot straight and boosted, you're just starting out. If I ran on something that short and I'm darn close, I would turn the boost off and run a fdr of about 4.2 to 4.7. The boost isn't worth using on a short straight like that, the straights too short and the corners come too fast, the boost will just cause lots of overshoot issues. Maybe a seasoned racer could run it but your car and speedo combo would have to be dialed. JMO
Old 01-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
30 foot straight and boosted, you're just starting out. If I ran on something that short and I'm darn close, I would turn the boost off and run a fdr of about 4.2 to 4.7. The boost isn't worth using on a short straight like that, the straights too short and the corners come too fast, the boost will just cause lots of overshoot issues. Maybe a seasoned racer could run it but your car and speedo combo would have to be dialed. JMO
Thanks Johnny. So I'll shut off the boost. I'm running a 48p 84t spur gear, so if my ratio chart is right a 48p 19t pinion should put me at about a 4.42 fdr. Does that sound about right?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
+1 on that...

With a 30 foot straight, you probably wouldn't even get that far into the boost range, unless you geared way down to around 6.5 to 7.0 FDR. The default boost range for the RS/RS Pro (in Hotwire) is like 5000 - 20000 RPM. I was running a 6.56 FDR in 17.5 boosted TC with a 90 foot straight.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks Johnny. So I'll shut off the boost. I'm running a 48p 84t spur gear, so if my ratio chart is right a 48p 19t pinion should put me at about a 4.42 fdr. Does that sound about right?

You forgot the internal ratio (2.0:1)
If you want an FDR around 4.4, with that 84 tooth spur you would need a 38 tooth pinion.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
You forgot the internal ratio (2.0:1)
If you want an FDR around 4.4, with that 84 tooth spur you would need a 38 tooth pinion.
Ok, so how am I gonna pull that off. I dont think I can go any bigger than a 30t pinion and thats pushing it
Old 01-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Ok, so how am I gonna pull that off. I dont think I can go any bigger than a 30t pinion and thats pushing it
Get a smaller spur. I don't have a Serpent, so I'm not sure what the limits are, but a 75 tooth spur should fit I would think. Then you should be able to fit a larger pinion than you could with an 84 spur in there. Plus you won't need as large a pinion with a smaller spur.

eg. 75 spur 33 pinion would give you a 4.5 FDR

I bet you could fit smaller than 75, but I just don't know for sure how much smaller.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Get a smaller spur. I don't have a Serpent, so I'm not sure what the limits are, but a 75 tooth spur should fit I would think. Then you should be able to fit a larger pinion than you could with an 84 spur in there. Plus you won't need as large a pinion with a smaller spur.

I bet you could fit smaller than 75, but I just don't know for sure how much smaller.
Ok Thanks
Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:

Well I ordered a 69t and 72t spur gear and a 31t pinion. Hopefully that will fit and get me close to 4.6 fdr