R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-29-2004, 12:30 AM   #106

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes we only had the chance do run the qualifiers before it started to rain. The mains were cancelled because there was a 10centimeters deep pool at the end of the straight !
My friend Lars (with the purple car) set his car up for some rain racing. It was fun to watch, and he did some wicked fast wet laps. With the correct tires these cars are very driveable in the rain.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:05 AM   #107
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro ten Holland
It was fun to watch, and he did some wicked fast wet laps. With the correct tires these cars are very driveable in the rain.
I agree. When well set up they are as good as anything - and lots faster.

I can't get over the fact that our cars - my son's Corally C10X and my Associated - ran so well last week, after standing on the shelf for about 5 years. We didn'teven change tyres, just pasted them with some additive to freshen them up.

This weekend I am hoping to persuade a few friends to bring their F1s down to the track - Tamiya, Corally and HPI mainly.

That should be fun too.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 02:19 AM   #108

Absolutely!
Pan car racing is making a comeback all over the world. 1:12th racing in front, with pro 10 and f1 in the slipstream.
TC racing has completely overshot its goal with cost controlled accessable-to-all racing. Nowadays the old classes are less expensive to run at a high level.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:56 AM   #109
Tech Master

Quote:

TC racing has completely overshot its goal with cost controlled accessable-to-all racing.
Well also pancar racing at a competative level (when the standard is high again) will cost quite a buck.

As for every racing calss for that matter.

Do not forget that a first-timer is more likely to controll a fulltime 4wd (tc) on the track better then a pan-car.
Also one important reason for TC popularity as opposed to pan-car, was that pan-car bodies looked like there was a blanket put over a chassis.
And TC looked like cars. So people can identify themselves with.

I think with f.i. the new Cyrul body (see elsewhere on rc-tech) is also helping the return of the pan-car.
Because it starts to look like the real deal.
As f.i. the PF speed 12 does not.
But it does handle great...

I hope the pan-cars will return. And I think they will.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:17 AM   #110

Running cost of one weekend ICC racing 1/10th pan car:
1 set of tires (I mount them myself, so it only costs me donuts): 24 euro's.
1/2 set of brushes: 1/2 *4euro's= 2euro's.
1/2 bottle of jack the gripper: 1/2* 9euros: 4.5euros.
2 cuts on my motor lathe, some body cracks other overall part wear~~10euros.
Total running cost: 40,5euro's.

Motor wear is considerable lower on a pan car, because its drivetrain is way more efficient.

If you can invest in having 5 sets of tires for a raceweekend and cycle them every run, your tires will wear less every run (one of the negative side effects of using traction compound more than once a day), so you will be able to run more than 5races with 5 sets of tires.

Compare that with touring car racing.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:57 AM   #111
Tech Master

Dude,

I do not wanna turn this thread into a debat but....

I believe your post totally.
But the level of competition is nowhere near the TC's at this moment.
All sponsored drivers and subtoplevel compete in TC racing.

Because of it's decline in popularity the level of contenders in pan-car is lower then at TC at this time.
Simple because the number of contenders are WAY less.

But that doesn't mean that in the current cream of the crop cheap racing is possible, and mainly fun in pan-car.

That's my opinion on this.

Last edited by PizzaDude; 12-29-2004 at 04:04 AM.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:42 AM   #112

You're right, but on a comparable level pan car racing will always cost less because these cars are simply less complicated.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:09 AM   #113
Tech Master

The touring car class is presently the most popular, the world
over. I don't think any of us will dispute that. The reason is the fact that people relate touring cars to cars they see on the road. A youngster buying an RC car will look at the body, paint job and stickers before he looks at the technical details. In fact he probably won't even bother with tech details but will just buy on looks.

To be fair, much as I love Pro 10 and would dearly like to see a revival of these fabulous cars, we have to admit, they don't really look like anything real.

Unfortunately more cars sell on looks than anything else. To my mind the perfect example is the Barracuda, people buy it because it looks nice with all it's sparkle chassis and multi coloured alloy bits, but anyone racing seriously soon goes for something that handles rather than something that simply looks good.

Thing is, there are more people that buy on looks. And as for costs of TC racing and Pro 10, there just isn't a comparison. A season's Pro 10 racing will cost you what 2 meetings with a modified touring car will cost.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 07:27 AM   #114

I agree 100%
The only thing I would like to see is that more people know there is an alternative for touring car racing: I want peacefull co-existance rather than one class anihilating the other.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:51 AM   #115
Tech Adept

Default Pro 10

I have been racing Pan cars for 10 years and I too had to make the jump from Pan to TC a few years back because we could not run the class at my local club anymore due to the lack of participation.

BUT ...

Just recently I was able to gather up some pan car owners and make a heat of pro 10's, we ran them with 6cells and 19turns on our indoor track (50'x80'), it was fast as H&*%^@*&

I need some info on how to get the racers out with their pan cars. What can I say or do to peak their interest ?, I will try to push the fact that the RC10L3 (190mm) can use standard sedan bodies maybe that could interest some racers ?

I WANT PAN CARS TO MAKE A STRONG RETURN !!!!!!!!!!!

Matts

Pan's:
AE RC10L2 (Hotbodies Toyota GT1)
AE RC10L3 x 2 (Pro-line Porche GT1, HPI BMW GT)

Brick's:
Xray T1 EVO2 and FK (Protoform Mazda 6 & Nemesis)
HPI Pro2 Drifter (Yok 180SX)
MATTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 07:56 AM   #116
Tech Master

here is a list of what those bodies were that last one was an hpi jag xj14 the third one was a TOJ the second one was a Hot Bodies Nissan and the first one was something from Black Box Racing. I dont know what they called it.
John Malin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:16 AM   #117
Tech Adept

Quote:
I agree 100%
The only thing I would like to see is that more people know there is an alternative for touring car racing: I want peacefull co-existance rather than one class anihilating the other.
Totally agree,

We are not here to kill up or rip off TC class but to show people and especially new racers that there were a class, cheap, fast and very peacefull a few year ago who died down the earth of fan...

Myself support PRO10, i do not like TC nowaday because it cost too much and you always rape off victory or whatever,...I raced 2 weeks ago TC for a come back of nearly 4 years off the track....and i really disappointed to see that TC racing it's more like a STOCK Car race than a nice and cool race...And now i understand what racers tell me when i'm a race director....

Let us from everywhere give a go to Pro10....Don't forget it's a class who required skills and not set up and wastes time in the pitch.......

PS: Mathjis, hello, gonna come back into business after a sack of the World Championship story.... See you later...
SPEEDx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:47 AM   #118
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by John Malin
here is a list of what those bodies were that last one was an hpi jag xj14 the third one was a TOJ the second one was a Hot Bodies Nissan and the first one was something from Black Box Racing. I dont know what they called it.
Thanks for the informations John.
Hmm, crazy thing is I have one HPI Jaguar laying around anywhere but have not seen since about 8 years. But because of the colour scheme this one looks a little different so I didnīt recognized this.
My very first PRO 10 body was a TOJ. Iīm not sure but maybe from Bolink. But the TOJ was an open cockpit body and this one seems having a roof.
The body you call Black Box looks very interesting to me but I have to say I never heard this brand. Do they have a website?
Old 12-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #119
Tech Adept

Default Pro 10

I have been racing Pan cars for 10 years and I too had to make the jump from Pan to TC a few years back because we could not run the class at my local club anymore due to the lack of participation.

BUT ...

Just recently I was able to gather up some pan car owners and make a heat of pro 10's, we ran them with 6cells and 19turns on our indoor track (50'x80'), it was fast as H&*%^@*&

I need some info on how to get the racers out with their pan cars. What can I say or do to peak their interest ?, I will try to push the fact that the RC10L3 (190mm) can use standard sedan bodies maybe that could interest some racers ?

I WANT PAN CARS TO MAKE A STRONG RETURN !!!!!!!!!!!

Matts

Pan's:
AE RC10L2 (Hotbodies Toyota GT1)
AE RC10L3 x 2 (Pro-line Porche GT1, HPI BMW GT)

Brick's:
Xray T1 EVO2 and FK (Protoform Mazda 6 & Nemesis)
HPI Pro2 Drifter (Yok 180SX)
MATTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:39 AM   #120
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

We run 6-cell stock and it's the speed and the clean driving that gets people to drive with us - TC Stock is known for its roughness but in Pan Car, we all know each other, we go out to dinner afterwards (many of us) and because of this, we drive as cleanly as we can.

So, it's the contrast that attracts people.

With 6-cell stock, we're faster than 19turn TC, almost as fast as Pro-Mod and we eat up Stock TC.

I agree, we're not trying to stop TC or take over TC, we're just trying to run a FUN class!