R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Tamiya M03 build from scratch?

I'm still very much a noobie at RC cars. Just got into the hobby about 1 year ago. I've built a Tamiya M05, just waiting on the transmitter to come so I can test it out. Since finishing the build on the M05, I have been checking out info on the M03 since I want another small car for my wife to race around with me and noticed that people seem to like the handling and ease of building the M03. The problem is that it is becoming more and more difficult to find M05 kits.

So... I have two questions:

1. When looking at the M03 kits, which kit is the SWB version. I know it is not the M03L, but how do I make sure I am getting the M03 with the shortest wheelbase?

2. If I cannot find the kit I am looking for, is it possible to build a M03 from scratch by buying parts from various vendors?

Thanks in advance.
wellco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

m03 in RTR is still available, body style is fiat, swift, and monte carlo cooper. most of m03 kits were short wheelbase, the bmw cooper and cooper s were long wheelbase. At our shop, we still got a cooper s kit and a rtr fiat 500.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

The M-03 chassis can be built in the short 210mm wheel base or as the M or L using the additional insert. If you buy the Suzuki Swift for example and want to run the short wheel base with a Mini Cooper body, just don't use the chassis inserts.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellco View Post
I'm still very much a noobie at RC cars. Just got into the hobby about 1 year ago. I've built a Tamiya M05, just waiting on the transmitter to come so I can test it out. Since finishing the build on the M05, I have been checking out info on the M03 since I want another small car for my wife to race around with me and noticed that people seem to like the handling and ease of building the M03. The problem is that it is becoming more and more difficult to find M05 kits.

So... I have two questions:

1. When looking at the M03 kits, which kit is the SWB version. I know it is not the M03L, but how do I make sure I am getting the M03 with the shortest wheelbase?

2. If I cannot find the kit I am looking for, is it possible to build a M03 from scratch by buying parts from various vendors?

Thanks in advance.
1. There is a spacer in the middle of the chassis that is removable and will make the car either short (no spacer) medium (short spacer) or long (long spacer).

2. It would literally cost you a small fortune to do it like that! There is no more expensive way to build a kit than piece by piece. Best thing to do is watch the classifieds, they come up all the time with tons of expensive options and hop ups and people sell them cheap, believe me, I sold my $400+ M03 for $150 on this forum about a year ago...
Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Most Kits, and RTR's for that matter, will be described as S, M or L for Short, Medium and Long, or 210mm, 225mm or 235mm (I think is the L), being the wheelbase measurements. Check out http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-m-14.ht...acturers_id=14 and you'll see what I mean. Also check out how cheap the kits are to show it's not worth trying to buy parts seperately.

Also check out this thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ni-cooper.html for all things mini.

Cheers and enjoy!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info all, it's greatly appreciated.
wellco is offline   Reply With Quote