R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
I was able to run a few packs on our new layout with the Losi dots.

These ****little LOSI dots**** are not launch pads at all but they do slow the car down so you don't want to drive over too many of them because it will penalize you so a faster driver that drives clean will probably have a good opportunity to pass. Its kinda perfect if you ask me, but we have yet to race with 10 cars... so we'll see.

There remains one hard corner on our track( without any dots ). During the practice day this hard corner was the only reason any cars crashed wildly and tumbled out of control. The Losi dots just made the car hop and slow down. I actually don't think I saw a car flip over from the Losi Dots! Once traction comes up that may change.... probably not... but you get the idea. They aren't launch pads ! They actually act like big car FIA berms .. they slow you down but don't cause a wreck.

Yup, its Hangar 30 at the old Sand Point Naval base but now it is run by the Seattle Parks Department. Our club president, Todd Mason, has done an amazing job cultivating a great relationship with the parks department. So far our race fees easily cover the rental costs. Also we are in the process of building a permanent asphalt road course around SeaTac airport.

Jake D.
Hey Jake-

Thanks for the info and keep us posted on the results. Still trying to work with our locals to see if they would be open to this. So far it is not looking so good, but maybe if you guys could post a video of cars going over the dots that may help sooth tensions.

Thanks,
Art
Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #32
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
GOOD LORD !! Is that ACTUALLY a hangar you guys have ?? How on earth did you make THAT deal ?? Gotta check out your thread.
Yes it is! Hanger 30 of an old Naval Air Station that is now WARREN G. MAGNUSON PARK. Its located on the North West corner of Lake Washington. We rent a small area to store our track and rent two Wednesdays and one Saturday a month to hold club races. An indoor R/C flying club fly's on opposite Wednesdays.

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/magnuson/history.htm
Kody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Art,

The next race at Hangar30 is the 11th. I will make a point to video a bit of each class. Everyone learning the new layout should provide some good examples !

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 01-04-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

The ultimate track design guide is here. Contains all you need to know about track design and how to mark corners so people can race and their mistakes don't always mean digging a car out of a board. Download a copy and have a read! HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
The ultimate track design guide is here. Contains all you need to know about track design and how to mark corners so people can race and their mistakes don't always mean digging a car out of a board. Download a copy and have a read! HTH
That is pretty good I like it...thanks for sharing
Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #36
Tech Adept

hi guys this is how DHI CUP layout. its hard to see, but the white line in the fornt of the pictures it part i want to talk about. ots wood planks that is cut so you get a kind of curb and they are working really great. I have put in 2 pictures the last one, is with some mesures of the curbs. when you put the planks together you will have a turning cirkel of 1,5 meter.

hope it helps :-)

steven
Attached Thumbnails
Track Corners: Show us how to do it-onroadbanen.jpg   Track Corners: Show us how to do it-billede-af-planks-til-timo.png  
Nosram Comet HD ESC.
Nosram Pure 2 evolution Motor.
StevenOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

as promised... here are some video clips of a variety of skill levels thrown together from Wednesdays first race night with the Losi Dots. ( I didn't shoot much but plan to do more this Saturday ). I quickly edited the video down to mostly show cars going over dots. Basically you had to be very aggressive to get your car to roll over and/or on the verge of traction roll already to get your car to flip. Going over the dots was NOT the fast way around the track in almost every instance. Turn marshaling was a breeze ! In fact, I shot most of the video while turn marshalling ! That'll be fairly evident ! LOL !

btw, Many people noticed how peaceful it was not hearing cars slam about during practice. We do have some more dots on order so we'll be adding some but it actually may not be needed.

Almost everyone seemed to love these small dots and the way they are placed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Lw_...1&feature=plcp

Cheers,

Jake
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
as promised... here are some video clips of a variety of skill levels thrown together from Wednesdays first race night with the Losi Dots. ( I didn't shoot much but plan to do more this Saturday ). I quickly edited the video down to mostly show cars going over dots. Basically you had to be very aggressive to get your car to roll over and/or on the verge of traction roll already to get your car to flip. Going over the dots was NOT the fast way around the track in almost every instance. Turn marshaling was a breeze ! In fact, I shot most of the video while turn marshalling ! That'll be fairly evident ! LOL !

btw, Many people noticed how peaceful it was not hearing cars slam about during practice. We do have some more dots on order so we'll be adding some but it actually may not be needed.

Almost everyone seemed to love these small dots and the way they are placed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Lw_...1&feature=plcp

Cheers,

Jake
Jake-

Thanks this is a great video. I really appreciate you spending the time building it. We are still working with out locals to see if they would entertain the idea, but at this point most seem reluctant. I hope this video may chnage some minds

Art
Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default H30 Track Dots

I raced 1/12th and WGT on Wednesday, and then called several races, so I got to see the results both as a racer and RD.

Without question, this is the best track we've built at Hangar 30. Far less banging than a full pipe track, no advantage to cutting corners, and when a car (very) occasionally rolled a dot, it didn't launch, but merely rolled out of harm's way, which was good for the the car that rolled and for the drivers following.

I would say the biggest pileups, as usual, came from guys hanging up in the mid-lane after banging a pipe. Nothing to do about that. It's how it was before, and on every track I've ever raced on. What we have done is reduce the apex flapper/carousel/disk/etc.-stuff-pileup-punt scenario by at least half, if not more.

It's awesome. We race again tomorrow and can hopefully show a little more proof of concept. So far, we're very happy.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store.
Stand it like a man, and give some back. --Al Swearengen
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #40
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Just wanted to bring this topic back up again.
We have the Losi dots at Tq now, and they have been working out very well.

The boards stay in place much better.
Less broken parts.

You will loose time when you roll over them, but it won't flip your car, not even a 12th scale.

F1's with low ride height can scoop them up with the low wings, but other than that, they stay in place with a little velcro.

A recent 12th mod race, on the Dots !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=747vcGKy3NQ

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Great race Dave

TC6, Top Photon, B4.1, SC10 FT, Orion Motors and Servos, Tekin RS
AeRacer805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default may i ask

Quote: