R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-25-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Non-Trinity Stock Motor Research (V2 Core, Atlas Based...ETC)

Hey All!

Before I get a tuned Monster Stock I'd be interested in getting a stock of another brand to perform up to par.

I have heard on the Orion fourms that a Core Stock w/Endbell kit had better top-end. I was wondering if anyone could back that statement up. If anyone has a dyno & a V2 Stock Endbell on Core could you please do me a favor and post some dyno results along with some opinions & hints

Could I get some info on the ATLAS based INTEGY motors too?

Thanks

-Dan
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont believe the V2 endbell is legal to race(roar), so..if you plan to race go ahead and get a monster stock, or whatever is winning at the track
hogdaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
Tech Master

The only plans I have are to run something other than a Trinity

Seriously I'd like to see if theres anything out there I can "stick it" to the Monsters with before I get another Monster. If you can't beat em...join em. I'll make an attempt at beating them first
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 10:33 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Kat,
The Integy motors are some of my favorites but unfortunately not on the ROAR list either; although Integy states they conform to all ROAR standards. Their V10 motors are, in my estimation, every bit as good as a monster. I tried one of these with a set of CS Racing high silver brushes and it was ballistic. Sadly, it makes no difference since most races use ROAR rules.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:15 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

The Orion core is one of the best stock motors that i have ever used they have goooobs of tourqe and if you run 767's and purple springs it will fly and don't worry about the acessive heat they are know for that but the magnets will stay strong intil the comm is to small to cu again if ya want more rpm i suggest a + purple spring and a red -spring with the trailing edges of the brushes filled down just enough to take the sharp edge off and then check it on a motor checker and you should see 12-13 amp draw with your motor stand scooting all over the table
I like to break them in also for 1-1/2 min at 2v and then slowley jump it to 7a and you will be happy make sure to cut the comm around 3-4 runs because with this setup it will abuse the brushes but not the comm it usally only needs a slight skimming ... the orion comm's are tough as nails

hope this helps you or anyone out because i never have speed problems with this setup it usally leads to traction problems because of the powerband

enjoy
snapt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to copter Send a message via Yahoo to copter

Quote:
The Integy motors are some of my favorites but unfortunately not on the ROAR list either; although Integy states they conform to all ROAR standards.
Integy Matrix V-10 series (pro and turbo) are both good, but as mentioned here earlier, they are not on ROAR list and conforming all ROAR standards is not good enough if rules state that it needs to be on the list.

Earlier this year I did use Integy Matrix V-10 motors since we had information here that it's legal, but one friday just day before the race we all were informed that using Matrix motors during the race we would be breaking the rules and so we all (~ 10-15 drivers) needed to change motors asap before next day. After that I have been running V-10 motors in my lathe only.
copter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:14 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Atlas ( matrix / integy )V10R twin turbo: extremly high RPM works best when tuned like an MVP with torq brushes like Reedy 767 or Trinity 4499s narowed to .140 with slightly more shaved off the trailing edge than the leading edge of the brush and a verticle cut down the middle of the brush face.

Power is decent and does not fade with heat or slight comm wear. Not as powerful as P2K, GM3, or RM in peak condition.

Yokomo ( Reedy MVP ): works best with brush narrowed to .140 ( equal shave on both sides ) with reedy 767 or 766 brushes and hood aligned straight accross.

Similar power and wear characterisits to Atlas V10R motors.

Top ( orion ) Core: High torq motor that produces lots of heat with little change in performace. Performs best with trinity 4499/4503 or Putnam blue/green brush combos with a small dimple on the neg brush and horizontal or diagnal cut on the positive.
equal power to reedy or integy motor but requires more work to maintain performace level.

Epic P2k: Torq motor with good power, works well with high silver content brushes such as 4503, 4499, putnam blue/green combo with a either a horizontal or verticle cuts depending on magnet strength and com size.. Tuned powerband is on the torqy side with lots of off power drag. maintains performance level better then all other trinity motors.

Power is equivelent to GM3, or RM but with a less desirable powerband to turing car, best choice for offroad 4wd or truck.

Epic GM3 more RPM than P2K with More Torq than RM. Works well with 4499s with a dimple.

More peak power then RM but fades faster in hot weather. Temermental motor than requires lots of work.

Epic RM: High RPM motor with good power with fresh magnets. Has worst quality control and widest variation in performance of all motors. smooth powerband that tends to flatten when the motor heats up. Tunning varies widely based on com size and magnet strength. With fresh magnets use 4503s with a verticle cut on both brushes. As the magnets weaken ( about 8 or 10 runs ) begin to narrow the brushed to regain some of the torq lost but never go narrower than .155

P2K2 and Binary ROAR stock: I haven't worked with either of these motor too much but what I have noticed so far is that the P2K2 is a slgithly higher RPM version of the p2k with equivelent power but worse quality control. The Binary is similar to the RM but slightly more RPM.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:00 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Right on!! I can inform some about the binary and p2k2.

P2K2- Higher RPM than P2K. Lowest rpm of current epic line of motors. Works good with softer springs. Hole in neg brush. 766 for off-road. 767 for on-road.

Binary-more RPM than all epics but GM3. Lower torque than P2k2 and RM. Good motor for larger tracks, as spool up is slower than the other epics. RPM based power band. Works great w/ 766 or other torque brushes. Hole in negative brush. Stiffer springs. And anything else to speed up the spool up time and increase torque.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:08 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Has anyone tried a narrowed brush in the Binary? As I understand it the Binary has the higher strength magnets similar to the MVP with a Monster arm less 2 laminations(low iron mass).I would think it would react to a narrow face brush like the MVP does.

I have tried the narrow brush MVP and had good results in the "less competitive" classes but the nicest thing about them is that they are very low maintenence.Really nice if it's pain to get the motor in and out of your car.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:11 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a few of the integy v-10's. They are easily as good as a monster if you like high rpm type motors. Best feature is they have significantly less radio noise than any monster so radio problems dissappear.

Pity they ain't roar legal... I bet trinity will make sure it stays that way... for their sake.