R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Yea! that blue stinks and my Hakko does just as good a job.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Maybe you guys should get matching black and white skirts for those Hako irons. You got be kidding me, buying a soldering iron based on the color of it's case. That just goes to show the whole Hako thing is nothing more then a R/C fad.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 03:45 PM   #48
Tech Fanatic

I guess I need to put a LOL in with my post,I was saying that in a funny way,I honestly could care less what color the Iron is as long as it works.The Weller Irons are very good irons,but they're not the only good ones out there.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:59 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Maybe you guys should get matching black and white skirts for those Hako irons. You got be kidding me, buying a soldering iron based on the color of it's case. That just goes to show the whole Hako thing is nothing more then a R/C fad.

True True True. Considering the Weller WES51 and WESD51's performance far outstrips that of the Hakkos.

For ALL R/C related work you want a good chisel / screwdriver type tip. When I see folks at the track using the rounded / pointy tip I just wanna cry. By using a flat tip you transfer the heat mcuh faster to the joint through sheer surface area. Using the rounded side of a pointy tip makes you have to hold the iron forever and you risk destroying your equipment due to overheating it.

Also...ALWAYS USE FLUX!!!!! For the life of me so many in the RC world seem to of never heard of flux. They'll say that the solder has some in it...so what!?!? You NEED to brush a light coating of flux onto each part to be soldered to ensure a good hot-joint. I know....as I was a crewcheif on CH-46E helicopters while in the USMC. I've soldered and worked on plenty of avionics boxes and was trained to do it right.

DEFINITIONS:

Hot-Joint : When solder has completely flowed though both wires and between both surfaces. A hot-joint will always have a very smooth and shiny appearance after soldering and the parts will be strongly joined together. Hot-joints have the best possible electrical conductivity and are extremely strong.

Cold-Joint : When the solder doesn't completely flow between the two surfaces. Typical cold joints on a wire only have solder on one side and visible braid is still seen on the other. Cold joints typically are very chunky and dirty looking plus the luster of the solder is like that of a flat silver. Not using flux and a high enough temperature is the #1 reason for cold-joints. Cold joints have horrible conductivity and are not very strong.

If you need to hold your iron to make a joint for more than 1-2 seconds, you are not using a high enough temperature or the wrong tip...or both.

-Sean

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #50
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L
I dont buy an iron based on color my friend. So you know the comment was made in jest..however I really dont like the blue hehe. I fan boy alot of things..but if the day come that I start "fan boying" a soldering Iron, I would hope somone punches me square in the face.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #51
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a 907 handle but bought the 5.6mm for a 908 and a 3.2 for a 908. Should I buy a new handle or new tips?
bikedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #52
Tech Fanatic

the wes51 is basically in the same line as the Hakko 936, their both really good stations,it just depends on how much your willing to spend,also the weller stations have a better selection of replacement tips which gives it a little edge over the hakko.