R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default What is the trick to installing Ofna belted tires

Hi:
I just bought four Ofna 'belted" tires that came with the two piece foams and after destroying 3 sets, I decided to pack it in. I then bought the Ofna one-piece molded foam inserts and still end-up with a big lump where the foam has bunched up. The tire and foam goes on not bad for the first 3/4's and after that the bead will not seat properly because the foam bunches up at that last one inch spot.
These belted tires have zero stretch,so they are tight on the rim all the way, with no wiggle room at all!. I tried twice and got the same result with the lump.
I usually have pretty good luck with this sort of thing,but I think installing my first motorcycle tire by hand was easier!
Has anybody here had any luck?! Thanks,Huck
Huck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
Hi:
I just bought four Ofna 'belted" tires that came with the two piece foams and after destroying 3 sets, I decided to pack it in. I then bought the Ofna one-piece molded foam inserts and still end-up with a big lump where the foam has bunched up. The tire and foam goes on not bad for the first 3/4's and after that the bead will not seat properly because the foam bunches up at that last one inch spot.
These belted tires have zero stretch,so they are tight on the rim all the way, with no wiggle room at all!. I tried twice and got the same result with the lump.
I usually have pretty good luck with this sort of thing,but I think installing my first motorcycle tire by hand was easier!
Has anybody here had any luck?! Thanks,Huck
I had the same issue and gave up my friend. Buy a set of premounted Sweeps and PMTs and you'll be much better off. Those OFNA tires are great for bashing around a parking lot but not too good if you plan to race. Good Luck!
OBR/TR Core Team Driver
TLR Team Driver
FangsCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangsCPO View Post
I had the same issue and gave up my friend. Buy a set of premounted Sweeps and PMTs and you'll be much better off. Those OFNA tires are great for bashing around a parking lot but not too good if you plan to race. Good Luck!
Thanks,I don't race...just for parking lot,back road speed-runs. I have a set of Sweeps treaded pre-mounted coming for my newly aquired Ofna DM-1 Spec e. The belted Ofna's are for my speed Rustler. Glad I am not the only one who can't make these tires and foams work! Thanks,Huck
Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

It is possible to mount the Ofna belted tires without lumps but it's not easy.

Take some contact glue and glue the outer foam to the inside of the tire. Then glue the inner foam to the rim. After the glue dries you can mount the tires.

It's fun to run the car with the Ofna tires and foam inserts but the Sweeps do have more bite.
GaryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryA View Post
It is possible to mount the Ofna belted tires without lumps but it's not easy.

Take some contact glue and glue the outer foam to the inside of the tire. Then glue the inner foam to the rim. After the glue dries you can mount the tires.

It's fun to run the car with the Ofna tires and foam inserts but the Sweeps do have more bite.
I tried gluing the smaller foam to the wheel at first,but never actually glued the wider foam to the tire,but this technique never worked,as I pretty well demolished three sets of foams...I gave up that idea and decided to try these on recommendations from Ofna:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAHEW&P=7.
They went on at first,but with the tire not having any stretch and being super tight to the wheel,the foam got bunched up at the last inch and wouldn't allow the tire bead to seat properly.
Maybe I will try one more time and this time I will try to hold the rim somehow and rotate the whole tire/foam as one on the wheel away from the lump..maybe that will straighten it out...if not these are gonna be up for sale soon! Thanks,Huck

Last edited by Huck50; 01-02-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Same problem here, I bought some of the middle compound sweeps and they are looser than the stock tires until they warm up, just for playing on the street I like the stock ones better, they actually work better on rough road. I cut my foams for a perfect fit but the glue came undone after 4 packs and now I have flat spots on the rear tires only. I tried some ofna molded foams I had but they made the tire to round on the contact patch. Still searching for a one piece foam help!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangsCPO View Post
I bought some sweeps too ! those ofna foams stink, i put them all in a ziplock bag and stuck it in the garage.
jayjay283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

As I was searching to figure out a way to mount these damn things I thought I would update this thread. WD-40 and a butter knife and it took literally less than a minute to get the tire on the rim.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

These are far to difficult to mount.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Tech Adept

if you could get the foam to stay round without flat spots they wouldnt be so bad
PRoBoaT STiLeTTo <>TRaXXaS SPaRTaN
FLoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I'll be buying Sweeps from here on out.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
Tech Adept

I need tires bad lol
PRoBoaT STiLeTTo <>TRaXXaS SPaRTaN
FLoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i have thrown away or sold so many of these it isn't funny. Worst design out there as far as i'm concerned.

** Every time see someone use their first post to necro-bump a 4 year old thread all I can think is "at least they used the search function" **
Monteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

What are yall using to glue these foams together? I used regular CA but when I was assembling them today I noticed the foams have a huge hard spot where the CA dried. Would using foam safe CA keep the joint flexible??
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Use spray contact adhesive, or double sided celotape. CA will leave you with lumps always. You are not looking for a permanent bonding, just enough bonding to hold things in place while you assemble.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote