R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Smile Best begginer drift car

Hi thinking about getting a drift car this will be my first drift car what is the best car for a beginner
IH Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH Rc View Post
Hi thinking about getting a drift car this will be my first drift car what is the best car for a beginner
Both Tamiya and HPI have great beginner RTR drifters. Tamiya's is the TT-01 Drift Spec and HPI has a bunch from the E10 to Drift 2.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
all the tamiya cars(tt01 tb01/02 ta02 etc) will work well. i picked up a preloved tb02 and i love it. out of the guys i drift with they all say mine is the easiest to drive i guess cos its not uber powerful but enough to slide. anything with ball bearings thru out will be a winner really. the plastic fantastic cars(tamiya mostly) are best to start out with as they are beginner friendly and can take hits without munching parts.

Eagle Racing GRT FRD. Tamiya F103GT. Tamiya Blackfoot............ORIGINAL
kneedeeppow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

I would go with an AE TC3 or TC4. Parts are readily available. Most hobby shops don't stock parts for the TT01 or E10
SC5M(x2), B5M, SC10.2, FT SC10, FT TC5, FT TC4, 12R5, AE Rival MT, RC10 Classic, RC10 Worlds, CW Pro Comp Outlaw, F104 pro v2, RJ Speed Legend, Traxxas Slash(x2), 4x4 Slash VXL, Vendetta ST, Axial SCX10, Yeti, Smt10, G-Made/AX10, Tamiya Super Clodbuster
pettyeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeeppow View Post
all the tamiya cars(tt01 tb01/02 ta02 etc) will work well. i picked up a preloved tb02 and i love it. out of the guys i drift with they all say mine is the easiest to drive i guess cos its not uber powerful but enough to slide. anything with ball bearings thru out will be a winner really. the plastic fantastic cars(tamiya mostly) are best to start out with as they are beginner friendly and can take hits without munching parts.
I too am looking at getting into drifting and my question is what is the difference between these cars (tt01,tb01/02,and ta02) and the same with HPI (E10 to the drift2) Of these chasis which is gonna be the best for when I move out of the beginner stage to a more advanced level drifter, so I dont need to go buy another car? Thanks
RCVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have mixed feelings about beginner cars. I think the E10 does little more than hold a shell and set of wheels together. That said I have seen it used effectively in drift competitions in spite of people saying that it was an inferior drift car. Its cheap and the wheels have fake disc brakes and inset wheel lugs. Which are nice.

The truth is that you can drift with any touring car. Its all about setting it up to drift. So a nice racer is a nice drifter. The difference with purpose built drift cars is weight distribution. Remember there used to not be any drift cars. Just old race cars with PVC on the wheels.

You really should look on a good drift thread for answers to this. Like Hyperdrift Hawaii or Drift Club, Team Slideways
Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

I think i am going to go with the e 10 but i was looking at the yeah racing conversion kit for it
IH Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
I think i am going to go with the e 10 but i was looking at the yeah racing conversion kit for it
unless you have money to burn....
Dont waste your $$ on upgrades or conversion kits. Locally, we have guys spending $500+++ on upgrading their TT01's
Any more than absolutely necessary upgrades are a complete waste of money that you will never recover
No matter how much you spend on upgrades you will still be left with a TT01 or E10, ie the most basic basic car available.

Spend that money on a better car instead .
Used Xray 2008, Cyclone TC's sell for less than a upgraded TT01.
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I have a tt-01 D and love it i made my own wheels out of pvc pipe and it drifts good as a standard car i have had it for about 2 years now and i drove a hop up TT-01 at the weekend and loved it it was quick i am about to upgrade the motor and esc to a 5.5t brushless with 2.5ghz transmitter and reciver and alloy steering and propshaft. it is currently about 40kmh standard so i will havr to see how fast it goes once i have installed the mods if you have any questions about the tt-01 get in touch. oh and it has never broken down on me or broken.

HBX Rockfighter (rock crawler)
blettres is offline   Reply With Quote