R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #31
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Ball bearings do not make stock motors go faster. They do last longer than bushings though.

The problem with stock motor approvals is that the manufacturer sends the sample motors to the lab and the lab approves THESE samples. There is absolutely no testing done to motors that are sold to the public.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 06:12 PM   #32
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Feel The Differnce
Posts: 272
Send a message via AIM to (V)r>??@uD@ Send a message via Yahoo to (V)r>??@uD@
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
Ball bearings do not make stock motors go faster. They do last longer than bushings though.

The problem with stock motor approvals is that the manufacturer sends the sample motors to the lab and the lab approves THESE samples. There is absolutely no testing done to motors that are sold to the public.
OK they dont make them go faster so how can i be a cheater HUh?? just because they last longer?? im not having a go at you but all the others like trf racer and jack smash i am,
AND maybe i Tq because i have better driving skills
(V)r>??@uD@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 06:23 PM   #33
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I just read this entire thread and noticed something. Everyone wants the fastest stock motor.

I thought the whole point of stock is everyone has the same speed motor. You wanna run faster? Run modified!
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:08 PM   #34
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: thomasville,nc
Posts: 518
Send a message via Yahoo to nomaak
Default

hey jiml...remeber me? i'm the guy who started this thread. as i recall, i simply want the motors to be more even...the way they used to be. when i used to be hardcore about stock, there was a far greater variety of stockers to race with. (cause they were pretty much even). but now-a-days if you aint got a monster in your car then you may as well not run!
nomaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:24 PM   #35
Tech Elite
 
PaintingRoly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I got your force right here
Posts: 2,822
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

(V)r>?- Do you know who Rick is? I really doubt that many more people know more about electric motors than Rick.
__________________
follow me @RC3grafix on Instagram for pictures of my paint work.
PaintingRoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:34 PM   #36
Tech Master
 
burbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,152
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs
Default

wanting stock motor even is nothing to do with rules....


trinity makes a motor.. it gets aproved,, and most likley it is the fastest motor available...


reedy makes a motor.. its usually a slug... it isnt like roar called reedy and said hey.. by the way... you have to make a motor that doesnt work as well as an epic motor.. Reedy can folow the same rules as far as building a motor...

it a manufacturer issue... not a sanctioning body issue...


DONT HATE THE PLAYA HATE THE GAME..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:52 PM   #37
Tech Master
 
BlackKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northside San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,335
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by nomaak
but now-a-days if you aint got a monster in your car then you may as well not run!
Agreed

F"k it man I'm just getting an EA tuned when he gets em back in stock
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #38
Tech Addict
 
DrOlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 644
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
Ball bearings do not make stock motors go faster. They do last longer than bushings though.

THANK YOU! Ball bearings will never make more power than a PERFECTLY fitted set of bushings.(less actually) How many of you have the equipment and expertise to align bore your bushings? Or polish and seat them correctly.Does anyone who can have an unfair advantage? It's legal.(level playing field?) No matter whether you have a bushings or bearings they all ride on a film of oil and that is the source of the friction.If anything a bearing will be a disadvantage since half the weight of a bearing is rotating mass that must be accelerated-the rotating mass of a bushing is ZERO.People throw a fit about putting bearings in a stock motor like you were running 8 cell packs or something.

jiml-It's not about people wanting to make mod power from stock motors,it's about wanting be competitive in STOCK CLASS.

nomaak-I disagree about having to have a monster to keep up(follow-the-leader syndrome). I think in some applications a torqier motor can be as good or better IF GEARED PROPERLY.

Something I learned from 1:1 racing is that 9 times out of 10 the person that makes the most noise about cheaters and cheating is CHEATING THE MOST and trying to divert attention away from himself.

There is a difference between running a weekend club race for fun and running at the Worlds with the best racers with the best equipment and a lot of money on the line.The rules that we use really aren't appropriate for both.If you do something that is illegal by the letter of the rules but does not give you an uncompetitve(unfair)advantage then you are still playing within the SPIRIT of the rules.Do you really think that an inch of wire make a difference at a local race? At the very least we should all be petitioning ROAR and out local tracks to allow bearings in stock motors to help level the playing field and eliminate one little thing that we (pointlessly) have to mess with all the time.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:21 PM   #39
Tech Master
 
BlackKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northside San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,335
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by DrOlds
Something I learned from 1:1 racing is that 9 times out of 10 the person that makes the most noise about cheaters and cheating is CHEATING THE MOST and trying to divert attention away from himself.
I know this from online racing before the days of cheat detection

Usually the ones pointing fingers at someone cheating are just pissed cause they can't win even with cheats
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 04:15 AM   #40
Tech Adept
 
t4driver88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 113
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to t4driver88
Default wow

who ever said bearings dont make you faster,your wrong. it frees up the arm in the can to allow you to get more rpm out og your motor so you can gear it higher also with out getting extremly hot because the only friction is the brushes on the arm, bearing do make you fast.....unless you suck at driving then it doent do any thing but screw you up more
__________________
TRACKSIDE
associated sc10,t4,b4
B&B racing
t4driver88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #41
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by DrOlds
THANK YOU! Ball bearings will never make more power than a PERFECTLY fitted set of bushings.(less actually) How many of you have the equipment and expertise to align bore your bushings? Or polish and seat them correctly.Does anyone who can have an unfair advantage? It's legal.(level playing field?) No matter whether you have a bushings or bearings they all ride on a film of oil and that is the source of the friction.If anything a bearing will be a disadvantage since half the weight of a bearing is rotating mass that must be accelerated-the rotating mass of a bushing is ZERO.People throw a fit about putting bearings in a stock motor like you were running 8 cell packs or something.

jiml-It's not about people wanting to make mod power from stock motors,it's about wanting be competitive in STOCK CLASS.

nomaak-I disagree about having to have a monster to keep up(follow-the-leader syndrome). I think in some applications a torqier motor can be as good or better IF GEARED PROPERLY.

Something I learned from 1:1 racing is that 9 times out of 10 the person that makes the most noise about cheaters and cheating is CHEATING THE MOST and trying to divert attention away from himself.

There is a difference between running a weekend club race for fun and running at the Worlds with the best racers with the best equipment and a lot of money on the line.The rules that we use really aren't appropriate for both.If you do something that is illegal by the letter of the rules but does not give you an uncompetitve(unfair)advantage then you are still playing within the SPIRIT of the rules.Do you really think that an inch of wire make a difference at a local race? At the very least we should all be petitioning ROAR and out local tracks to allow bearings in stock motors to help level the playing field and eliminate one little thing that we (pointlessly) have to mess with all the time.
i hope i never have to race against you.
so you sayiong that someone who races stock who makes say d-finals can put in a say 9 turn arm and if he makes the b-final hes not cheating because hes not winning?well that the most bullshit ive ever heard in all my years racing rc cars.
people cheat to win,if you dont win whats the point in cheating?
wether its at a world championship or some poxy midweek nite clubb meeting.CHEATING IS CHEATING.FULLSTOP.
__________________
Tamiya
Much More Racing
LRP electronic
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 11:35 AM   #42
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 76
Send a message via AIM to T-Money86mcss
Default

He said anything that gives an unfair advantage is cheating. Something that would make a D-main racer into a B-main racer is obviously an unfair advantage and therefore cheating.
T-Money86mcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 11:44 AM   #43
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 329
Default

I look at it this way. Power is a big thing in stock. So if you find a motor that is legal and it seems to perform better than most, then use it. All of this crying about "my motor is not fast enough and I don't want to get another Trinity motor," is merely just that, crying. It's like expecting to win with a 1500Mah pack vs a GP3300 Pack that has more power and run time. They have a class for that, it's called Novice or Sport class.

Technology will always make motors faster, and if you are racing people that know what they are doing (and the best stuff to use) don't expect to come in and blow them away with outdated stuff. The people that usually win that way are phenominal drivers. Not like most of us. I know racing is not cheap. Racing never is. At some time or another, you will have to upgrade your stuff simply because there is better stuff out there.

But if you want to win you need to understand that if you get a really flat motor, return it. Don't just sit there and take it. If you or your shop have a dyno, have them do a print out so they can see that the motor is not even close to the spec on the box. With most good manufacturers and hobbyshops, if you can prove it is sub par then they will exchange it. This also helps the shop know whether they are getting good quality stuff. They usually can get a credit for the motors they return if they are defective. If there seems to be a habit of bad motors coming from a manufacturer, both the hobby shops and the manufacturers need to know. Maybe something happened during assembly and the maker is accepting that certain lot of motors for replacement (or recall). Remember also that rarely do racers use the stock springs or brushes that come with the motors.
Use your brain. Don't just accept crap and live with it. Use your smarts to prove something is bad and usually it will be replaced with something better if the company wants your business.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #44
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Money86mcss
He said anything that gives an unfair advantage is cheating. Something that would make a D-main racer into a B-main racer is obviously an unfair advantage and therefore cheating.
no he said Does anyone who can have an unfair advantage? It's legal.
__________________
Tamiya
Much More Racing
LRP electronic
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #45
Tech Elite
 
MR JOLLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell
Posts: 4,762
Default

i will put the cat amongst the pigeons here
This is x-mas & new year & all that but i reckon cheating is not cheating ,it`s a more efficient way of winning
(THIS IS A JOKE) so don`t me

Cheats don`t prosper, except for bill gates
__________________
EAMotorsports;;BRCA 27t National 2007 Champ's
FKO4,AdyB fan club !!
saying of the month;;The Past is History, the Future is a Mystery, this Moment is a Gift- that's why it's called The Present.
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRCA 2008 Pro Stock Rules rc-car-net Electric On-Road 13 04-27-2008 01:08 PM
ROAR rules on running both Stock and Mod Off-Road Nats DustinR Electric Off-Road 1 03-08-2006 04:29 PM
Time to change stock motor rules Charles Electric On-Road 96 11-20-2005 11:42 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:00 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net