Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 R.O.A.R. Electric On Road Paved Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

How about we just kill off everything with a foam tire. Problem solved.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Roar mandatory classes are :
Mod TC & 1/12
Stock (17.5) TC & 1/12

4 classes

VTA and 13.5 TC are also offered. Both have a strong showing weekly.

6 total classes.

I think ROAR limit of classes was 6, WGT is not popular at all on carpet or asphalt in the area. Right now the track is actually getting 17.5 1/12 weekly as well, which is a bit surprising.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
How about we just kill off everything with a foam tire. Problem solved.

Where did you get the "stir the pot" emocon ? THATS funny !!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

If they don't run the 3 wheeled, body mounted backwards, all cars painted solid red class.. I, for one, am NOT attending.

I'm not sure I even knew WGT existed before cruising this thread. Is this an offshoot/variation of USGT? It's apparently not something we're running here in the area of the host track(?) VTA and 13.5 just seem like they'd be more of a draw.. this year.. at this track. And the fact that all the classes aren't locked in every year is a GOOD thing, isn't it? Variety keeps things interesting, and if a 'new' class catches on and brings more people into the hobby or more entries to big events.. great. On some level all of the classes being discussed here (other than the big four) are something along the lines of Olympic demonstration sports, nothing is guaranteed from year to year. If you can't find one class to run (out of SIX) and you're going to stay home as a result, that's another open entry spot for someone with a more positive attitude.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Interesting comment that a track would decide a class structure for a national event based on their local field. I understand that WGT has had little following on the pavement but I don't really think it has been given a chance. At the major carpet races (Grand Slam series, Indoor Champs and the region 5 championships) it almost always outnumbers 13.5 TC. The last 5 years of the Halloween Classic has had 20 to 30 WGT cars. 13.5 TC has averaged less than 10. WGT is the third most popular class at those events behind 17.5 TC and 1/12. To only take a micro look at the picture is just not right especially for a race that is supposed to be a national. This is a race for its membership and to exclude an entire class is not right.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

I feel bad for the host track / ROAR in this situation. It is a lose lose decision. Run a dozen classes most of which would only have an A maybe B main or risk upsetting someone that runs an obscure class.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
If they don't run the 3 wheeled, body mounted backwards, all cars painted solid red class.. I, for one, am NOT attending.

I'm not sure I even knew WGT existed before cruising this thread. Is this an offshoot/variation of USGT? It's apparently not something we're running here in the area of the host track(?) VTA and 13.5 just seem like they'd be more of a draw.. this year.. at this track. And the fact that all the classes aren't locked in every year is a GOOD thing, isn't it? Variety keeps things interesting, and if a 'new' class catches on and brings more people into the hobby or more entries to big events.. great. On some level all of the classes being discussed here (other than the big four) are something along the lines of Olympic demonstration sports, nothing is guaranteed from year to year. If you can't find one class to run (out of SIX) and you're going to stay home as a result, that's another open entry spot for someone with a more positive attitude.
WGT is a 1/10, 200mm wide pan car. It runs on spec foam tires, 13.5 motor, a 1 cell and a limited list of bodies that run in GT series around the world. The four currently bodies represent Corvette, Ferrari, Aston Martin and Alpha Romeo. Overall track lap times are very similar to 17.5 1/12 and TC. Several major manufacturers make chassis kits for this class. The CRC Gen-X being one of the most popular but Associated, BMI, Corrally and X-Ray are players too.
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by old_dude
Interesting comment that a track would decide a class structure for a national event based on their local field
Why would a host rack be given a chocie in the matter otherwise? The decision is not going to be made only by who shows up at club races. Picking a dead or dying class, or one that has NO interest locally isn't a sound business decision. Let the local tracks choose, and go with their decision to run and showcase the classes of their choice. If it's not your class.. deal. If it is your class this time around, then there's someone out there that isn't going to get to run THEIR class this time. They'll never please everyone. Run the major classes, mix up the other two.. and enjoy.

The vending machine at work was out of Gatorade today... I bought a water instead. The world did not end.

This is a race for its membership and to exclude an entire class is not right.
Right.. and by putting your class (back) in you're excluding either the VTA or 13.5 people that were excited that they DO have a class to run this year. That's fair.
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

WGT
2011 paved nationals: 8 cars
2010 paved nationals: 8 cars
2009 paved nationals: not run

http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=315

It's more of a carpet class. Personally, i was hoping F1 might be run, but really, it's not real big around here either. Unfortunately, not everything is worth the cost in time and effort.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

I feel bad for the host track / ROAR in this situation. It is a lose lose decision. Run a dozen classes most of which would only have an A maybe B main or risk upsetting someone that runs an obscure class.
Exactly.. it can't be a two week event with a dozen classes. Yes, it sucks to maybe not be able to run your chosen class of choice, but there are several other options. The "well I just won't go" thing seems silly.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

I primarily run USGT these days but definitely gonna make an effort to go. Either to run 17.5/13.5 or 17.5 and VTA.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

This race is a national and should represent the national classes that are run.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

This race is a national and should represent the national classes that are run.
No offense but is it really a "national" class for paved surfaces? I mean I live / race in the same state as you in one of the biggest / longest running outdoor programs in the state and the one year we tried WGT we never got more than 2 racers.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
WGT
2011 paved nationals: 8 cars
2010 paved nationals: 8 cars
2009 paved nationals: not run

http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=315

It's more of a carpet class. Personally, i was hoping F1 might be run, but really, it's not real big around here either. Unfortunately, not everything is worth the cost in time and effort.
2012 carpet nationals: WGT 25 cars - VTA 17 cars. Both mod classes had less than 20 cars each.
There were 7 classes run at that event
Same source
Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

No offense but is it really a "national" class for paved surfaces? I mean I live / race in the same state as you in one of the biggest / longest running outdoor programs in the state and the one year we tried WGT we never got more than 2 racers.
The class has grown on the carpet tracks like 1/12 scale did. If you don't have a good carpet program in the area then it is quite likely that you won't have WGT cars. There is no reason that they couldn't run on any track that a 1/12 scale can as they have a higher spec ground clearance. As you go north it gets tougher and tougher to have a outdoor program as the pavement suffers in the winter. I only know of two pavement facilities in Ohio, yours and Toledo. WGT was new in 2008 and has only been run at two paved nationals which were both on the east coast. Our WGT car count has gone up steadily since the class was introduced. This year it was easily our largest local class for club races.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.