R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Stainless steel ball studs for TC3?

I think titanium is overkill and want to replace all the ball studs on my 2 TC3s with stainless steel ones. I searched on Lunsford, Tower, RCBoyz.com w/o luck. I think each car takes 4 short and 10 long ones.

Thanks for any leads and happy holidays to everyone.

Bill
[email protected]
billwilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just curious....Why Titanium ballstuds overkill........Iv'e had the TI racing ballstuds for about 2 years worth of racing, without a problem.....considering the height and quanity of most of the ballstuds in the car, it's also a great place to get rid of weight.......you can always add weight to a lower area on the car if your underweight......plus their only like $17.............

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:12 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Default Titanium ball studs

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe B
Just curious....Why Titanium ballstuds overkill........Iv'e had the TI racing ballstuds for about 2 years worth of racing, without a problem.....considering the height and quanity of most of the ballstuds in the car, it's also a great place to get rid of weight.......you can always add weight to a lower area on the car if your underweight......plus their only like $17.............
I meant overkill on my budget. The Lunsford ones I've seen (http://tinyurl.com/6wkjk) are over $3 each and I'll need 28 for my two cars. How many did you get for $17 and where?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 12-24-2004, 02:37 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to GTIRACER

I dont know where you get that number My car has only 8 so that would be only 16 for 2 cars
GTIRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 03:58 AM   #5
Tech Regular

he is obviously including the steering linkage ones (on the rack and on the knuckles and servo arm)
Carbon_Fibre3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:45 AM   #6
Tech Master

Hey Bill........The TI Titanium racing brand sets that Iv'e bought came with all the ballstuds for the entire car, (14) total..... At the time they were 17 at my local hobby shop for the whole set, haven't checked lately.......IMO they use much higher quality titanium than any of the lundsford products I've owned www.titaniumracing.com ..............

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Old 12-24-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Hey Bill........The TI Titanium racing brand sets that Iv'e bought came with all the ballstuds for the entire car, (14) total..... At the time they were 17 at my local hobby shop for the whole set, haven't checked lately.......IMO they use much higher quality titanium than any of the lundsford products I've owned www.titaniumracing.com ..............
I will admit the the Ti stuff is pretty nice. I ran their ball studs on my TC3 and I have never had to replace one of them in over three seasons. The are stronger than the steel and much lighter. In my opinion, it would be worth it to bite the bullit once and buy them now cause you will never have to replace them (unless you loose them ).

I had the FT blue aluminum ones on my TC3 and they are very fragile, never had a problem with them breaking but they do bend very easily.

My 415 has aluminum ball studs on it and I have broken the steering knucle ball cups more than once. Luckily they brake in such a way that they can still be removed from the knuckle with a wrench...but since the ball remains in the cups, it's near impossible to remove and I have to replace the ball cup.

Just do what I try to do and not hit anything...the only problem is this plan is not as easy as I thought it would be

Happy Holidays!!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Default Ti ball studs

Quote:
IMO they use much higher quality titanium than any of the lundsford products I've owned www.titaniumracing.com
I checked that site. The countersunk hex in the ball end rather than the external hex on the base is trick. But they don't say how many and what sizes you get for $25. I emailed them to check.

Thanks for the tip.

Bill
Old 12-25-2004, 03:44 AM   #9
Tech Master

No problem.......Im sure you get all 14 in the bag

Old 01-08-2005, 01:28 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Default TI Racing ball studs: who has them in stock?

The shopping cart on the titaniumracing.com site has been out of order for weeks and they haven't answered several emails I've sent.

Someone on this thread said they've seen the TIR ball studs at their LHS. Can anyone direct me to a vendor who has them in stock?

I'd get Lunsford's #7101, but it's hard to swallow $5 per 2 (= $35/car) if someone said they've seen them for $17 for a set of 14.

Thanks for any help!

Bill