Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Ok...where do I find those in the US?
thats what i wanna know.
For_the_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The best way I found to do it is the cheap way. Take the body out of the bag and leave the plastic wrapper on it, place it on a table (top down) then flip the car upside down and place it in the body where it should be (lining up the position of the wheels in relation to the body). Once you get it where you want it gently flip the whole thing so it is upright with the body still on top. Check to see if it is close to where it should be. Mark over the body post with a sharpie, so you know where to cut the holes. Then flip it back over to and align the post over the sharpie marks (where the holes will be) and see if it is stilled lined up correctly. At this point you can make an adjustment - if needed. 98% of the time, mine are dead on. Then you are ready to clean and paint. After painting is completed, body is ready to have the wheel wells cut out and body holes made. Lastly, remove clear wrapper and any marks made with a sharpie go with it, and you have a new body mounted and ready to race.

This method is not as complicated as it sounds and has proven to me to be a very efficient way to mount bodies pretty well. Two mistakes I used to make were not making mounting holes large enough for the body to "float" and not making wheel well large enough which caused tires to chunk.

I have seen the lasers and was not too impressed or I would own a set. With a clear body and the post on the car you can mark where the post are and don't need the lasers.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #19
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
I have seen the lasers and was not too impressed or I would own a set. With a clear body and the post on the car you can mark where the post are and don't need the lasers.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Ok...where do I find those in the US?
Not the exact piece,but same idea:http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ost-Marker-Set
Would it not be easier to make the mounting holes with the wheel wells cut out first,that way you can center the body better over the wheel openings?.
Also,why would you paint the car first before making the mounting holes and cutting out the wheel wells....I dunno,just curious. Thanks,Huck
Huck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
Not the exact piece,but same idea:http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ost-Marker-Set
Would it not be easier to make the mounting holes with the wheel wells cut out first,that way you can center the body better over the wheel openings?.
Also,why would you paint the car first before making the mounting holes and cutting out the wheel wells....I dunno,just curious. Thanks,Huck

I like to have the paint done before I trim because I use a dremel with a sander to round out all of the edges and give the body a more finished look. Never been able to cut a body that well with scissors alone. Therefore, to prevent small plastic filings and debris from finding its way into my paint job, I paint before I trim.

Also if you leave the plastic on the body, you can use a sharpie to silhouette the trim lines molded into the body where your wheel holes will be.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...th-led-p-21961

Works really well even on a painted body, but make sure your body posts are perfectly straight. Someone previously mentioned having a set of aluminum posts specifically for mounting bodies. Thats a good idea.

Cheers,
Shawn,
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Quote:
Looks the same to me only from a different company! Added to my wish list thanks!

There is a couple reasons I really like this idea...the first has to do with your question. It isn't that I would paint the body first...it is if I decide to buy a pre-painted body. The second is that the magnets will help hold the body in place while marking it...can't count the number of times I had to start over marking body post holes because the body slipped.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I have a rather elaborate way of doing it but it works well for me.

1) Mount body before painting
2) Draw a vertical center line of the front wheel wells
3) Setup the car with equal toe L/R
4) Space out all the wheels until they are just slightly wider than the body
5) Turn on the car, lower the body over the car and line up the front axle with the front wheel well center line
6) Mark the body post holes

That is essentially it. There are a couple other things I do to make it easier that other people will find tedious. One such thing is I use aluminum stand offs instead of body posts and make sure they hold the body up at the right heights. This is because body posts get bent up so I want to make sure I use something perfectly straight to get the holes right. That way when I replace the body posts the body isn't crooked.
Awesome, works like a charm, and I'm doing it this way for years!

7) take some old wheels and mark the wheel cuts. Just mark the rimm not, the whole wheel. So you can cut away some more later on, when it's painted.
8) Paint it (that's a shitty thing to do ;-))
9) Make the holes, don't make them to big, just a few tiny bit bigger then the bodyposts. The body needs te move freely up and down, but not sideway's!
10) Take some leftovers of lexan, and cut two peaces that will cover the front of the body where the bumper/lowerplate hit's the body when you crash. And that will cover the front body holes. Put some double sided tape on the leftover lexan peaces and put them in the front of your body. This will extend the life time of these thin body's (like Black Art's)
I'll try to make a pic of that, I do this for years and it works really well
11) crash it ;-)

Regards Robert
Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

And remember if you accidentally make one that fits perfectly, use it as a marker for new bodies of thensame type.

I cur everything away so just thw cockpit and the parts of the body post holes ar left. You place this over the new body and you can makr up the new one through the holes of the old one.

Unfortunately with 1:12 the front holes tend to get destroyed.....
Old 12-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post
And remember if you accidentally make one that fits perfectly, use it as a marker for new bodies of thensame type.

I cur everything away so just thw cockpit and the parts of the body post holes ar left. You place this over the new body and you can makr up the new one through the holes of the old one.

I just destroyed another body.. so i ordered some more, and im going to use my friends off his gen xl on my xi if it fits....
For_the_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post

This is exactly how I mark my bodies. Make sure you use one of the "good" bodies as a template... at least one that is even left to right in regards to width.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
Well just to follow up...I did buy one of these Dynamite sets and it is pretty nice! I haven't actually used it yet but I temporarily set it up on my 1/12th to check to see how well it will work on the angles of a 1/12th body. So far it looks like the magnets center up pretty well with their opposing magnets. Where I did run into an issue though is with the rubber caps used to fit the tops on different sized body posts. As you stack cap on top of cap they become a bit tippy. I'm thinking that cutting the tops off of the cap so they all sit flush inside the top piece will cure that. I wonder what the Shark system uses to adjust for the different sized body posts...I didn't see anything in the pics that looked like it would be used for that.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by For_the_win View Post
I just destroyed another body.. so i ordered some more, and im going to use my friends off his gen xl on my xi if it fits....
How far off are the holes? if you mess up big, its actually better, just put a 2nd set of holes in the right direction, then use some stickers to cover up the old holes.