R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #16
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoman586 View Post
Thanks for the answers. I have been out of the hobby for a while ( used to race 1/10 scale off road and 1/12 onroad in the mid to late 1980's )
Pan Cars = fun.

Touring Cars = no fun.

It's pretty simple.
Wes Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe View Post
Pan Cars = fun.

Touring Cars = no fun.

It's pretty simple.
LOL!

Unless your running oval pan cars on carpet.
Then it cost twice as touring cars.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Great post Robo, not so much about the 12th scale friction dampers bit, but other than that, it was very informative
Thanks. I don't know about today's 1/12th scale cars but I remember the old RC12Ls have friction dampners.

And yea, I know not everyone reads big long posts like that...as a matter of fact most don't...but as long as the OP reads it and gets something out of it I'm happy. Can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink you know.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
Tech Initiate

I agree with everything Robotech said, but would add that we never had a permenent outdoor track. I mention this because there seems to be a renewed interest in 1/10th pan car and wouldn't want anyone to get discouraged thinking they need a permenent track. You do need good pavement. There has to be thousands of closets out there with 10Ls in them.

I remember the anticipation of the 10L's arrival. At the time we raced RC-10s with foam tires and 12th scale in the summer on the pavement. I called Associated at least once asking when it would arrive. We had big fields and a lot of fun and would love to see that class return.

Thanks, Chuck
leinbacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Wow, this thread makes me want a 12th scale pan car again!
My first and only 12th scale was about 25 years ago..!
Loved reading that long post on the first page, great read there..
brushless55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leinbacc View Post
I agree with everything Robotech said, but would add that we never had a permenent outdoor track. I mention this because there seems to be a renewed interest in 1/10th pan car and wouldn't want anyone to get discouraged thinking they need a permenent track. You do need good pavement. There has to be thousands of closets out there with 10Ls in them.
I remember the anticipation of the 10L's arrival. At the time we raced RC-10s with foam tires and 12th scale in the summer on the pavement. I called Associated at least once asking when it would arrive. We had big fields and a lot of fun and would love to see that class return.

Thanks, Chuck
There's one in mine with the old school three bolt front end and the original Team Associated Nissan body that was on the box cover.

However, those cars and any of the T-plate cars are no good because nobody makes a saddle pack 1s 3.7V lipo. (Don't say Speedzone makes it because they don't anymore.)
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #22
Tech Regular

I miss racing pan car oval...I do not miss the amount of money it takes to stay "competitve". Hated that part. Tried running F1 oval and spec oval with the Trinity Spec car and tires but neither really turned out well. Would love to have an old RC10LO...

YR4Dude, if memory serves you raced at One-Stop too...ah those were the days. Drove oval running an Alan Kulwiki Army Thunderbird number 7 car that my buddy painted complete with Desert Storm Camo color scheme. LOL
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #23
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Now that LiPo and brushless motors have completely smashed the playing field flat, carpet 1/12 racing is the cheapest I have ever done. Touring car with rubber tire likewise, except TC takes a lot of maintenance in comparison. The initial cost is still fairly high, but I have foam 1/12 tires with a thousand racing laps on them.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #24
Tech Master

Hi mate, here in the UK, Pro10 cars (7.2v/mod motors/235mm wide) were really popular back in the late 80's, early to mid 90's. 2 things killed the class off though, they got so scary fast plus full size touring car racing got really popular and people started to put TC bodyshells and foam tyres on their 4wd buggies and racing them on the same tracks that we raced the Pro10s on. People then wanted the proper scale looks of the full size TCs (as the 'wide' TCs looked terrible!) and 'scale saloons' (the original what are now TCs) became popular. All this happened at the expense of the Pro10 class and that died off. Recently, GT10s have become popular because of the great handling (they have more grip than power and are easy to drive), and the low cost compared to TCs. As for speed, well, my mate ran both his 1c/10.5 and 2c/17.5 setups at Ardent raceway the other night, and both cars were just a touch faster over a lap than the 10.5 TC guys were. Not because of the top speed (the TCs were faster down the main straight) but because of the extra corner speeds that GT car have from their foam tyres. The thing that makes GT cars really great, is that they are pretty quick, but not insanely fast. We run them at our local club as well as up at Ardent, and really have a great time with them. The thing we have to be careful with, is people wanting them to go really, really fast, which might then kill off the class much like it did with Pro10s, although in Germany, there still is a Pro10 national class but they went from 2c/mod (they were using 4t brushless motors, how fast would that of been??!) down to 2c/10.5, just to slow the cars a little (but are still really fast!). Cheers!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pro 10 mod is unreal! I'd love to be that talented but I'm not! F1 17.5 is fine for me! Although I'm getting into 12th also which is very quick indeed! But less likely to kill someone!
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

First off, I love posts like this. Robotech, excellent statement.

I'd just like to add that 1/10 pan under WGT rules is about as cheap as it gets. One tire type, a few decent bodies and plenty of good racing. The speed is good, about as fast as mod was about 20 years ago. I would say the one thing we don't keep in mind is the relative speed of our cars. We've come so far in our hobby that we forget what increased speeds have done to our favorite classes in the past. I also find it funny that most have resurfaced as a slower image of their old selves and are finding a foothold: F1, 1/12, Vintage TransAM, USGT.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
Pro 10 mod is unreal! I'd love to be that talented but I'm not!
+1 I would love to try though.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #28
Tech Adept

I'd love to get into Pan Cars, but i have no idea where i could properly race them. My local club currently only does 1/10 Touring and Mini classes, and i don't think anyone else here has a Pan style car. I may go to another local(ish) club when racing starts again too see if they do pan cars too, but until then, i probably won't get one. I don't see the point of getting a Pan car, if you have nowhere to race it, and nobody to race with......
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #29
Tech Champion

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I miss racing pan car oval...I do not miss the amount of money it takes to stay "competitve". Hated that part. Tried running F1 oval and spec oval with the Trinity Spec car and tires but neither really turned out well. Would love to have an old RC10LO...

YR4Dude, if memory serves you raced at One-Stop too...ah those were the days. Drove oval running an Alan Kulwiki Army Thunderbird number 7 car that my buddy painted complete with Desert Storm Camo color scheme. LOL
Yes I did! I was also a casualty of the dreaded One-Stop killer oval.

About being competitive during those days we had to make do with Sanyo 1200s and 1300s which we had to pay big bucks to a "matcher" who did some special voodoo on them to increase voltage and run time. This was a necessary and exhaustive ritual before going to any big race because those expensive packs had a short life span. Thank God for Lipo and BL which has eliminated those headaches.

Just as you stated in your post, TCs were born because of bumpy dusty parking lot tracks. That's why I run TCs on asphalt and if I ever get to a carpet track, I would run pan on carpet. To me running TC on carpet is overkill but then again what do I know? They're now running offroad on carpet as well.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote