R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #1156
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Does anyone have a couple lightweight pro stock gear diffs they can part with. I need these because I am trying to put them in another vehicle and these are the only gar diffs I have found that are separate from the drive gear, so theoretically, they can be attached to any gear, and that's what I need.

Thanks
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #1157
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wrong geardiff. sorry
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #1158
Tech Initiate

Default Hinge pins binding

I am new to the TOP cars purchasing a new Photon EX last year, mid summer. I quickly assembled the car to get it on the track. I did not pay near as much attention to the car assembly as I usually do. My bad! So this winter I tore the car down and went through it. I found a lot of fit issues with the hinge pins.

I found that the inside hinge pin was tight on the stock rear a-arms. About 3mm short of getting all the way through before it binds. It is not bad but it is very evident. Every stock rear one was the same, part number TC-PMES01, (Package is 1 front, 1 rear.) Half the front ones bound on the inside too, but by about half as much. I was able to fix all of these with a 3mm reamer. However I had some of the Optional lightweight arms, part number PO-PMZS01, in my box. So I pulled them out and looked them over. At first glance these are clearly a different material. They are lighter in color and have a different grain. The pins feel like they are sliding on glass inside the new arms, very good job TOP. You can see in the photos the inside of the arms is thinner front and back. The rear arm also has a middle ridge on the arm that no longer runs the length of the arm.

I also found binding on the outside front a-arms too. The pin is tight all the way as if the hole is a little small. The rear arms pivot in the hubs and lock in the arm with the set screw so no arm issue here. The front arms do pivot in the arm and lock with a set screw in the C-hub. All of the old arms were tight on the pins thus restricting pivot. These cleaned up good with a 3mm reamer too.

The old two camber hole rear hubs, TC-PMGS01, bind all the way as if the hole is too small. The new 3 hole rear hubs, TC-MACS01, have a very good pin fit. And with the new part number you get the new front axle carrier that has a third hold in the steering arm. This allows you to use the third hole to increase steering on a tight track. This should feel like a new car!

So in short to fix the issue, order 2 PO-PMZS01 and 2 TC-MACS01 and bolt them on and hinge pin issues are gone.
I hope that someone finds this info helpful.

P.S. I did check all pins during teardown and found them straight.
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. PHOTON EX-front_a_arms.jpg   T.O.P. PHOTON EX-hinge_pin_bore.jpg   T.O.P. PHOTON EX-rear_a_arms.jpg  
OldLosiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #1159
Tech Addict

Well as far as I know. Every EC10 car needs to have it's suspension arms reamed with a arm reamer. So that the arms are tight I can agree, but you just need to make them a bit wider :-)

Regards Robert
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #1160
Tech Adept

Last weekend, it was the xray challenge greece that took place in our huge FRT track, with an international guest, Alexander Hagberg!
We were all expecting him to learn new tricks, and see how faster could he go..

For tthis race, there was the nosram 30 pre glued as a controlled tire, something the TOP team had never tried before, but the xrays had tested a lot...

I made two runs on a set of tires to see if everything worked ok, while Nick managed to run 5-6 laps due to a problem. The tires are not the best, but overall ok, with the car being just a little loose.

On Saturday practice, Alex set a new record for the layout, 17,7 while our best lap times were 18,5...

On Sunday, nothing had changed, with Alex easily securing TQ, Nikos Georgiadis (who was learning from Alex how to fine-tune his T4) in 2nd, me in 3rd (on old tires of Saturday's practice), and Nick Nikolakopoulos in 4th, on old tires again...

First final: Alex was cruising, while I managed to pass Nikos Georgiadis in the third corner, and left him fight with Nick Nikolakopoulos for 3rd spot. In the end of the run, Alex was 1st, I was 2nd, 8-10sec behind, and Nick managed 3rd.

Second final: Alex again in front, and Nikos, me, and Nick had a very close fight for 2nd when I traction-rolled ( f...nosrams!) and lost contact from them about 10 sec. I pushed really hard and tried to finish 2 sec behind Nick whou had again pass Nikos, who suffered a tire issue and had a DNF.

Third final: Alex had secured the win, but made the run, and again was cruising to victory.Nikos Georgiadis was very good at this time, and even though I pushed a lot, couldn't pass him. Nick Nikolakopoulos suffered a broken spur gear, so couldn't stay with us.

Final result for A-main was:

1.Alexander Hagberg-xray T4
2.Dimitris Mitropoulos - TOP photon ex
3.Nick Nikolakopoulos - TOP photon ex

4.Nikos Georgiadis - xray T4
5.Dimitris Kostantopoulos - xray T4
6.Dimitris Mpakirtzis - xray T4
7.Argiris Papagianakopoulos - xray T3
8.Thanassis Ntalwsis - tamiya trf 417
9.Petros Katsikis - xray T3
10.Rompokos - xray T4

Overall, it was a good race, and the result was like a win for TOP Racing Team Greece.
I ll post my setup soon.

rcdim.blogspot.gr
www.the-painter.gr
Mitropoulos Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #1161
Tech Initiate

good evening, the asphalt track I race on has lots of loose stones which we can never seem to get rid of! The photon ex has been great at coping with these - better than the other brands on the track, never had a stone damge a spur or a belt but I do find that occasionally stones get caught between the wheels and the "loop" on the bottom of the rear hubs. I have only had it jam the wheel once but often I find a score mark on the rim sugesting a stone has been caught in there for a short while.

The question is.... can anyone see any harm in removing the lower "loop" on the rear hub so that there is more clearance to prevent stones getting caught?

Thanks

Chris
topher2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #1162
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Chop it... Our local track is the same. The score marks in the rims as not a problem but it's very annoying to dnf. As far as I know the photon is the only car with this problem.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #1163
Tech Fanatic

Has anyone tried fitting another steering rack to their car?

Im going to do some mods on mine to move the attachment point to increase throw... With my radio turned up to mac and the 3 hole hubs I can't get full lock... This is with a savox servo and 3pk.

I put the original photon system in it.... But yet to try it on track. Fits easily.

Will be putting the rack back in and working on that this week... Along with reading the info on rack mods in here....

Phill
Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #1164
Tech Fanatic

Photon rack back out and ex rack in. Re shimmed it... .1mm here and there, and almost all slop is gone. Very happy.
Going to use the 2nd hole in the steering knucle to get the extra throw needed, but using 3mm spacer on steering rack to get the links straight. Had to remove some material from the arm mouts to fet full lock. Looking forward to testing it....
Not much activity in here!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #1165
Tech Adept

Hi TeamWTF
Maybe You should also trim a little bit on the alloy parts when You have full lock. They can touch a little bit as far as I remember.

Yeah it's kind of slow here, but I think a lot of the drivers are using facebook groups instead.

Come on guys, keep posting Your setups, test results and good ideas in here
We have a great racing car that keeps getting better.

Sincerely
Søren Boy Holst
Denmark
*SBH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 AM   #1166
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWTF View Post
Photon rack back out and ex rack in. Re shimmed it... .1mm here and there, and almost all slop is gone. Very happy.
Going to use the 2nd hole in the steering knucle to get the extra throw needed, but using 3mm spacer on steering rack to get the links straight. Had to remove some material from the arm mouts to fet full lock. Looking forward to testing it....
Not much activity in here!
Do you have any pic's of that mod?

I'm back from the ETS. And it was cold, rainy, but a load of fun!

Steven Weiss drove his TOP Photon EX in the Mod class. His car was fast enough for the A-main, but in his fastest qualifier his spurgear broke. I've been looking at his car and he told me he had some different parts to test. He drove Xray front arms and hubs, had some cuts in his chassis plate for more flex. And made his car a lot shorter then it's standard wheelbase. He also told me there will be a new chassis at the end of the year that will be completely different. Nice!

Philip Tschupp did a really good job and reached the A-main. He finished 6th after some tough finals. He drove a prototype lower chassis and the medium hard topdeck. His set-up can be found on the TOP Racing Facebook Page.

As for myself I didn't had that much training on the track. And the weather didn't allow a lot of track time. But I reached B-main and finished 17th after some rough finals. The car felt really good and really fast. It was mostly my own driving that cost me some time. I'll try and post my set-up later on :-)

Regards Robert

Last edited by Robert_K; 05-23-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #1167
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Where exactly is the setup? I checked the https://www.facebook.com/pages/TOP-R...95386490589769 and https://www.facebook.com/groups/115953461872420 can't find it.

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #1168
Tech Adept

Nice report Robert

Is it possible to find some pictures without body og Steven and Philips car?

Søren
Old 05-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #1169
Tech Adept

I found the setup from Philip
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. PHOTON EX-philip_ets_apeldoorn_2013x.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #1170
Tech Addict

Here is my set-up for the ETS Apeldoorn.

Used all V2 hubs (C-hub, rear hub, front hub) and 3Racing dual Joint's.

Regards Robert