R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #166
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,561
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraz View Post
If I get the mira outdrives, will the 52mm xray ecs work on the photon ex, or do I need to get 50mm, thanks
both physically fit - but based upon past experience (running the Photon with them since Snowbirds Jan 2011) we've been using the 50mm bones. if you have 52mm XRay ECS you can always swap in the 50mm bones later.

one thing to note - my inventory of Mira Outdrives is _very_ limited. whatever my 'chart' shows is what i have. i've only made 100 sets in the last 16 months, with the last batch made nearly 1 year ago. maybe demand will be there for another 'run' -- but we will have to see.
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #167
Tech Addict
 
mazmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 738
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
both physically fit - but based upon past experience (running the Photon with them since Snowbirds Jan 2011) we've been using the 50mm bones. if you have 52mm XRay ECS you can always swap in the 50mm bones later.

one thing to note - my inventory of Mira Outdrives is _very_ limited. whatever my 'chart' shows is what i have. i've only made 100 sets in the last 16 months, with the last batch made nearly 1 year ago. maybe demand will be there for another 'run' -- but we will have to see.
hanulec,

I ordered Mira outdrives from your site last night for TOP Photon (assuming EX has same spool). I have also ordered the X-ray ECS with 52mm bones.

After reading your Photon wiki my understanding was 1mm spacer was required behind the Mira outdrives to accommodate the 50mm ECS (better wear) with 52mm ESC 1mm spacer not required.

Have I misunderstood? It is a case of 52mm fitting with no issue, just creates different steering / handling traits?

Cheers
Alan
__________________
Team TOP Australia www.topracing.net.au

TOP Photon EX 17.5 + TOP Photon EX 21.5 + TOP Rebel F1 21.5

ORCA | Tekin RS Pro | Tekin Gen 2 RPM | Ko Pro-Po | EPIC Trinity
mazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #168
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default

^ yeah that as well
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #169
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,561
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmo View Post
hanulec,

I ordered Mira outdrives from your site last night for TOP Photon (assuming EX has same spool). I have also ordered the X-ray ECS with 52mm bones.

After reading your Photon wiki my understanding was 1mm spacer was required behind the Mira outdrives to accommodate the 50mm ECS (better wear) with 52mm ESC 1mm spacer not required.

Have I misunderstood? It is a case of 52mm fitting with no issue, just creates different steering / handling traits?

Cheers
Alan
Hi Alan - yeah, they shipped today. Both lengths fit - the major difference is handling, and the amount of 'roll' that the front end. the longer drive shafts roll less, the shorter ones roll more.

I like the excitement about the Mira Outdrives. Now all we need are some Photon EX cars to put them in .
Mike
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #170
Tech Addict
 
mazmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 738
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Hi Alan - yeah, they shipped today. Both lengths fit - the major difference is handling, and the amount of 'roll' that the front end. the longer drive shafts roll less, the shorter ones roll more.

I like the excitement about the Mira Outdrives. Now all we need are some Photon EX cars to put them in .
Mike
Thanks Mike,

All good

So if the longer drive shafts generate less front end roll, this would generate less steering right?
__________________
Team TOP Australia www.topracing.net.au

TOP Photon EX 17.5 + TOP Photon EX 21.5 + TOP Rebel F1 21.5

ORCA | Tekin RS Pro | Tekin Gen 2 RPM | Ko Pro-Po | EPIC Trinity
mazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #171
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 108
Default

Mike please bring some mira's with you to NorCal it's the only upgrade I haven't done on my Photon yet. I won't be running an EX at Reedy because my Photon has been working so well and we have better driver's that want the car. E.J. has been getting his EX dialed on the track.
Thank you for your set up help it has really helped. J.
__________________
Independent Racer, J-Spec sand and sealer, Dog hair free since 2011
Dragarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #172
Shop Owner
 
nnick's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Cheapest prices in Europe ;)
Posts: 1,342
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick
Default

Why we need to change the outdrives? what is the problem with the kit ones?

Is it only to be able to use ESC like outdrives?

In general I'm not fan of modifying my kit unless the constructors says so
__________________
Nikolakopoulos Nick
RC RING

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #173
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,172
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

TOP later will have his Double CVD !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 AM   #174
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnick View Post
Why we need to change the outdrives? what is the problem with the kit ones?

Is it only to be able to use ESC like outdrives?

In general I'm not fan of modifying my kit unless the constructors says so
It's done to run the double joint shafts, mainly to smooth out or remove the chatter from running a spool, though if your like me it's likely not necessary cause I hate spools and would much rather run a front diff.
__________________
QRCCRA
www.qrccra.org.au
www.facebook.com/englandparkraceway
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 AM   #175
Tech Fanatic
 
TeamWTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 971
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
It's done to run the double joint shafts, mainly to smooth out or remove the chatter from running a spool, though if your like me it's likely not necessary cause I hate spools and would much rather run a front diff.
I ran mine with a gear diff up front (100,000k Spec R) and loved it! Tire wear was much better and the car was more natural.

Would like to try a heavier oil though
__________________
T.O.P. Racing Australia www.topracing.net.au
TeamWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #176
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Tyre wear is better, car is generally easier to drive, and you get more ability to change line (good for passing slower traffic), but results vary for many.

I was using the TOP Micro Pro diffs up front for some time, then out of the blue I killed two in two meets, with the EX and new diff coming I could not be bothered buying the parts to rebuild them.

Only problem is I have been running the spool for 3 meets now, and loathing it in every way.
__________________
QRCCRA
www.qrccra.org.au
www.facebook.com/englandparkraceway
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #177
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,561
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

what motor class are you guys racing front gear diffs with?
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #178
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
what motor class are you guys racing front gear diffs with?
10.5T Blinky, I can't honestly say I'm 'that' much faster with a front diff, just I find it easier to drive and pass with it in.
__________________
QRCCRA
www.qrccra.org.au
www.facebook.com/englandparkraceway
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #179
Tech Fanatic
 
TeamWTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 971
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

17.5 boosted, this was on a large open track.

Also motor temps dropped... Which was the main reason I wanted to try it.
A friend of mine was running dual gear diffs and I told him the spool should be faster (He was needing around .5sec/lap). Next heat he came off at 95c! From around 70-75 before using the spool...

Food for though
__________________
T.O.P. Racing Australia www.topracing.net.au
TeamWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #180
Tech Fanatic
 
TeamWTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 971
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I must add I have always used a spool and only used the diff for a practice last weekend so dont know how lap times compared. I will be looking into setting it up for the diff and doing some serious testing.
__________________
T.O.P. Racing Australia www.topracing.net.au
TeamWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car keithander Electric On-Road 9064 06-14-2017 01:46 PM
T.O.P. Photon Mr Merc 916 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 09-18-2010 09:03 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:10 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net