R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Xray T2 009 Rubber - Rear Traction problem!

Hi Guys,

I have a serious problem with my rear traction! The car will start to drift when I make a turn. Even if I go on straight line at high speed I can see the car was swinging to the left and right.. But the serious problem is the rear traction... totally mess up .

I hope to get your expert opinion.. please and million thanks

*The tires almost brand new*
ceong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

hello try using the the lowest roll centers in the rear
jekyll08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyll08 View Post
hello try using the the lowest roll centers in the rear
can you be more specific..
Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

its the pieces that hold the rear inner hinge pins for the a arms to the bulkhead, you can tell which ones are on there buy a small dot on them you want to use the the ones with the dot closest to the ground check out X-rays site and look for a pro's setup for your particular car.
jekyll08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Wanna post a little more about your setup... Is this on carpet or asphalt? Are you sure the chassis isn't tweaked? Little more info will help get some more answers here...
Old 12-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to EpuL Leman

as what i'm doing,

u could try
1) soften rear spring / use less cst #
2) more decline damper position (top damper close to center)
3) harden front spring / use more cst #
4) more incline damper position (top damper away from center)

goood luck

XRAY T3 | DSM DX3e | HW Xerun 60a Extreme | Team Power Plutonium 10.5T
EpuL Leman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceong View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a serious problem with my rear traction! The car will start to drift when I make a turn. Even if I go on straight line at high speed I can see the car was swinging to the left and right.. But the serious problem is the rear traction... totally mess up .

I have a few questions to ask before we can accurately assess and resolve your issue:
1) What motor are you running, and how much voltage are you using to power the car?
2) Are you running on carpet or asphalt? If you're using the car on asphalt, is the surface "prepared" (swept, sprayed, etc.) before you run?
3) Answering this question will require the utmost in honesty, and is not meant to be offensive; how well do you maintain the car? It doesn't take but one faulty $2 part to cause all sorts of issues, so I figured I'd ask...
Old 12-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
I have a few questions to ask before we can accurately assess and resolve your issue:
1) What motor are you running, and how much voltage are you using to power the car?
2) Are you running on carpet or asphalt? If you're using the car on asphalt, is the surface "prepared" (swept, sprayed, etc.) before you run?
3) Answering this question will require the utmost in honesty, and is not meant to be offensive; how well do you maintain the car? It doesn't take but one faulty $2 part to cause all sorts of issues, so I figured I'd ask...
- motor LRP 4.5 T
-on asphalt
-the car is very well maintain
-bearing, belt.. etc al are good..
- i was testing the car on a big open space car park with a brand new lipo.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Wanna post a little more about your setup... Is this on carpet or asphalt? Are you sure the chassis isn't tweaked? Little more info will help get some more answers here...
Hi,

- motor LRP 4.5 T
-on asphalt
-the car is very well maintain
-bearing, belt.. etc al are good..
- i was testing the car on a big open space car park with a brand new lipo.
- i revise the setting back to the basic asphalt with brand new tires .. still, rear traction was weak and start to drift when i made a turn.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Check your Ackerman adjustment. It sounds like you don't have enough Ackerman in your setup. Having more Ackerman will stabilize you steering. Use the manual to see if it is set at the correct nominal setting. If it is, shorten the steering pivot adjustment by one notch and see if that makes it more stable.

Also you need more rear toe. If you don't have any set up, get 1deg rear toe uprights. If that is not enough, you can shim the rear arm pin holders with a 1mm shim to get a little more inboard toe.

Since you are running a 4.5T you'll have more of a problem finding steering. I don't see that you have a problem with traction, its more a problem with the stability of the car. The Ackerman and the rear toe adjustment will help.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

A 4.5T brushless motor is going to be really difficult to control on an unprepared surface - regardless of how you attempt to dial in some traction, grip will be hard to come by. Assuming that everything is in perfect working order (no bad bearings, no slop in the suspension, and well-built shocks), you will want to make sure that the chassis isn't tweaked (twisted), your droop is equal on the left and right sides of the car, and you could try lighter shock oil and springs. Lowering the roll centers will help gain grip at the expense of corner speed, but if you're not racing the loss of speed in corners won't matter much.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
A 4.5T brushless motor is going to be really difficult to control on an unprepared surface - regardless of how you attempt to dial in some traction, grip will be hard to come by. Assuming that everything is in perfect working order (no bad bearings, no slop in the suspension, and well-built shocks), you will want to make sure that the chassis isn't tweaked (twisted), your droop is equal on the left and right sides of the car, and you could try lighter shock oil and springs. Lowering the roll centers will help gain grip at the expense of corner speed, but if you're not racing the loss of speed in corners won't matter much.
+1

I would start with the box setup as this was a pretty good setup with this car, you might possible add a little rear toe to the car running that much motor too.
Removing the rear sway bar was also pretty popular on adding rear grip on the 008/009/T3 cars.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
+1

I would start with the box setup as this was a pretty good setup with this car, you might possible add a little rear toe to the car running that much motor too.
Removing the rear sway bar was also pretty popular on adding rear grip on the 008/009/T3 cars.
sway bar ?? ok i will try that .. thans
Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Guys,

are you losing traction at the very start of the run or at the end part? i ask because the tires could be overheating causeing you car to be lose?

suport your local hobby shop because ebays track is hard to find !!!!!!!!
Russ Jacobson
bigdadracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdadracing View Post
are you losing traction at the very start of the run or at the end part? i ask because the tires could be overheating causeing you car to be lose?
i am sure it has nothing to do with the tires