R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 152
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Xray T2 009 Rubber - Rear Traction problem!

Hi Guys,

I have a serious problem with my rear traction! The car will start to drift when I make a turn. Even if I go on straight line at high speed I can see the car was swinging to the left and right.. But the serious problem is the rear traction... totally mess up .

I hope to get your expert opinion.. please and million thanks

*The tires almost brand new*
ceong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Tech Adept
 
jekyll08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 148
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

hello try using the the lowest roll centers in the rear
jekyll08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 152
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyll08 View Post
hello try using the the lowest roll centers in the rear
can you be more specific..
ceong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Tech Adept
 
jekyll08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 148
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

its the pieces that hold the rear inner hinge pins for the a arms to the bulkhead, you can tell which ones are on there buy a small dot on them you want to use the the ones with the dot closest to the ground check out X-rays site and look for a pro's setup for your particular car.
jekyll08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Wanna post a little more about your setup... Is this on carpet or asphalt? Are you sure the chassis isn't tweaked? Little more info will help get some more answers here...
__________________
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it..
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
EpuL Leman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Paka | Kajang
Posts: 106
Send a message via Yahoo to EpuL Leman
Default

as what i'm doing,

u could try
1) soften rear spring / use less cst #
2) more decline damper position (top damper close to center)
3) harden front spring / use more cst #
4) more incline damper position (top damper away from center)

goood luck
__________________
If you are in a spaceship that is traveling at the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights, does anything happen?
{Steven Wright}

XRAY T3 | DSM DX3e | HW Xerun 60a Extreme | Team Power Plutonium 10.5T
EpuL Leman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
oeoeo327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,658
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceong View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a serious problem with my rear traction! The car will start to drift when I make a turn. Even if I go on straight line at high speed I can see the car was swinging to the left and right.. But the serious problem is the rear traction... totally mess up .

I hope to get your expert opinion.. please and million thanks

*The tires almost brand new*
I have a few questions to ask before we can accurately assess and resolve your issue:
1) What motor are you running, and how much voltage are you using to power the car?
2) Are you running on carpet or asphalt? If you're using the car on asphalt, is the surface "prepared" (swept, sprayed, etc.) before you run?
3) Answering this question will require the utmost in honesty, and is not meant to be offensive; how well do you maintain the car? It doesn't take but one faulty $2 part to cause all sorts of issues, so I figured I'd ask...
__________________
Founding member of the Solid Gold Racing Team - Mediocrity, redefined...
oeoeo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 152
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
I have a few questions to ask before we can accurately assess and resolve your issue:
1) What motor are you running, and how much voltage are you using to power the car?
2) Are you running on carpet or asphalt? If you're using the car on asphalt, is the surface "prepared" (swept, sprayed, etc.) before you run?
3) Answering this question will require the utmost in honesty, and is not meant to be offensive; how well do you maintain the car? It doesn't take but one faulty $2 part to cause all sorts of issues, so I figured I'd ask...
- motor LRP 4.5 T
-on asphalt
-the car is very well maintain
-bearing, belt.. etc al are good..
- i was testing the car on a big open space car park with a brand new lipo.
ceong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 152
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Wanna post a little more about your setup... Is this on carpet or asphalt? Are you sure the chassis isn't tweaked? Little more info will help get some more answers here...
Hi,

- motor LRP 4.5 T
-on asphalt
-the car is very well maintain
-bearing, belt.. etc al are good..
- i was testing the car on a big open space car park with a brand new lipo.
- i revise the setting back to the basic asphalt with brand new tires .. still, rear traction was weak and start to drift when i made a turn.
ceong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
YR4Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,625
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceong View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a serious problem with my rear traction! The car will start to drift when I make a turn. Even if I go on straight line at high speed I can see the car was swinging to the left and right.. But the serious problem is the rear traction... totally mess up .

I hope to get your expert opinion.. please and million thanks

*The tires almost brand new*
Check your Ackerman adjustment. It sounds like you don't have enough Ackerman in your setup. Having more Ackerman will stabilize you steering. Use the manual to see if it is set at the correct nominal setting. If it is, shorten the steering pivot adjustment by one notch and see if that makes it more stable.

Also you need more rear toe. If you don't have any set up, get 1deg rear toe uprights. If that is not enough, you can shim the rear arm pin holders with a 1mm shim to get a little more inboard toe.

Since you are running a 4.5T you'll have more of a problem finding steering. I don't see that you have a problem with traction, its more a problem with the stability of the car. The Ackerman and the rear toe adjustment will help.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
oeoeo327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,658
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

A 4.5T brushless motor is going to be really difficult to control on an unprepared surface - regardless of how you attempt to dial in some traction, grip will be hard to come by. Assuming that everything is in perfect working order (no bad bearings, no slop in the suspension, and well-built shocks), you will want to make sure that the chassis isn't tweaked (twisted), your droop is equal on the left and right sides of the car, and you could try lighter shock oil and springs. Lowering the roll centers will help gain grip at the expense of corner speed, but if you're not racing the loss of speed in corners won't matter much.
__________________
Founding member of the Solid Gold Racing Team - Mediocrity, redefined...
oeoeo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
A 4.5T brushless motor is going to be really difficult to control on an unprepared surface - regardless of how you attempt to dial in some traction, grip will be hard to come by. Assuming that everything is in perfect working order (no bad bearings, no slop in the suspension, and well-built shocks), you will want to make sure that the chassis isn't tweaked (twisted), your droop is equal on the left and right sides of the car, and you could try lighter shock oil and springs. Lowering the roll centers will help gain grip at the expense of corner speed, but if you're not racing the loss of speed in corners won't matter much.
+1

I would start with the box setup as this was a pretty good setup with this car, you might possible add a little rear toe to the car running that much motor too.
Removing the rear sway bar was also pretty popular on adding rear grip on the 008/009/T3 cars.
__________________
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it..
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 152
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
+1

I would start with the box setup as this was a pretty good setup with this car, you might possible add a little rear toe to the car running that much motor too.
Removing the rear sway bar was also pretty popular on adding rear grip on the 008/009/T3 cars.
sway bar ?? ok i will try that .. thans
ceong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Tech Regular
 
bigdadracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the happiest place on earth
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceong View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a serious problem with my rear traction! The car will start to drift when I make a turn. Even if I go on straight line at high speed I can see the car was swinging to the left and right.. But the serious problem is the rear traction... totally mess up .

I hope to get your expert opinion.. please and million thanks

*The tires almost brand new*
are you losing traction at the very start of the run or at the end part? i ask because the tires could be overheating causeing you car to be lose?
__________________
rcamerica/xray/ team powers/bsr tires/ slapmaster tools/ bigdads garage/cheep beer/ mykeart paint works / team pop a top

suport your local hobby shop because ebays track is hard to find !!!!!!!!
Russ Jacobson
bigdadracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 152
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdadracing View Post
are you losing traction at the very start of the run or at the end part? i ask because the tires could be overheating causeing you car to be lose?
i am sure it has nothing to do with the tires
ceong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Magic E4 Thread gansei Electric On-Road 4124 02-07-2017 02:09 PM
XRAY T2009 bola Electric On-Road 2679 07-06-2014 06:25 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net