R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #16
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 152
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Check your Ackerman adjustment. It sounds like you don't have enough Ackerman in your setup. Having more Ackerman will stabilize you steering. Use the manual to see if it is set at the correct nominal setting. If it is, shorten the steering pivot adjustment by one notch and see if that makes it more stable.

Also you need more rear toe. If you don't have any set up, get 1deg rear toe uprights. If that is not enough, you can shim the rear arm pin holders with a 1mm shim to get a little more inboard toe.

Since you are running a 4.5T you'll have more of a problem finding steering. I don't see that you have a problem with traction, its more a problem with the stability of the car. The Ackerman and the rear toe adjustment will help.

Yap.. just found out the problem most likely coming from the front.. I have removed the front and rear sway bar.. soften front spring/shock to the max and harden rear spring/shock..the drift is cutting down... I also moved the roll center fro the rear and front to the lowest position.

However, i am not sure whether i should adjust my rear and front downstop
ceong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
Tech Champion
 
YR4Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,625
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceong View Post
Yap.. just found out the problem most likely coming from the front.. I have removed the front and rear sway bar.. soften front spring/shock to the max and harden rear spring/shock..the drift is cutting down... I also moved the roll center fro the rear and front to the lowest position.

However, i am not sure whether i should adjust my rear and front downstop
The downstop helps adjust traction when your car is experiencing weight transfer.

For example, when you approach a turn and slow down weight is transferred to the front. This results in a lifting effect of the rear. If you don't have much "droop" /downstop, your rear end will un-weight itself such that the rear tires will lose traction if not lift off the surface entirely.

This could be what is happening to you when you are losing traction in the rear as you try to turn. Since you soften the front springs, this weight transfer from rear to front is increased even more which means you need more droop to maintain contact of the rear tires to the track to have rear traction when transitioning into turns.

Keep in mind:

High downstop number = less droop

Low downstop number = more droop
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
Tech Elite
 
hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vic, Australia
Posts: 3,136
Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default

is your droop the same left and right?

when my cars behave badly, its generally incorrect droop settings due to a tweak in the chassis from a crash.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #19
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 152
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
The downstop helps adjust traction when your car is experiencing weight transfer.

For example, when you approach a turn and slow down weight is transferred to the front. This results in a lifting effect of the rear. If you don't have much "droop" /downstop, your rear end will un-weight itself such that the rear tires will lose traction if not lift off the surface entirely.

This could be what is happening to you when you are losing traction in the rear as you try to turn. Since you soften the front springs, this weight transfer from rear to front is increased even more which means you need more droop to maintain contact of the rear tires to the track to have rear traction when transitioning into turns.

Keep in mind:

High downstop number = less droop

Low downstop number = more droop

Thanks for the tips ... so do I need more droop in the front or the rear to increase the rear traction??? Thanks
ceong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
The downstop helps adjust traction when your car is experiencing weight transfer.

For example, when you approach a turn and slow down weight is transferred to the front. This results in a lifting effect of the rear. If you don't have much "droop" /downstop, your rear end will un-weight itself such that the rear tires will lose traction if not lift off the surface entirely.

This could be what is happening to you when you are losing traction in the rear as you try to turn. Since you soften the front springs, this weight transfer from rear to front is increased even more which means you need more droop to maintain contact of the rear tires to the track to have rear traction when transitioning into turns.

Keep in mind:

High downstop number = less droop

Low downstop number = more droop
If you increase rear droop (smaller downstop number) then you increase weight transfer to the front when breaking.

What you need to do is decrease rear droop to maintain more rear weight during corner entry and increase front droop so when on power you will get more weight transfer to the rear.
Other than that I agree with oeoeo327.
A 4.5T will be very hard to control outside a prepared track.
taz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #21
Tech Champion
 
YR4Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,625
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz00 View Post
If you increase rear droop (smaller downstop number) then you increase weight transfer to the front when breaking.
That depends on what spring you run in the front.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #22
Tech Regular
 
dragont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 328
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

The biggest part Iíve learned about losing grip, sliding, or fish tailing at the corners is the droop setting. Start playing with that. Iíve tried sway bars all the way off or just in the front (depending on your flavor). But, droop setting plays a huge part. Of course, it will change once you go with different sets of tires or set-up, but once you've figured it out you're all set. When I had my issues, racers always told me check your droop......

I run my t3 '11 all stock parts and shock oil. I should have other different springs to use, but I just compensate that by changing the shock oil.
__________________
HOY BAKLA!!!! U DA BU LA'IA!!!!!!
dragont is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Magic E4 Thread gansei Electric On-Road 4124 02-07-2017 02:09 PM
XRAY T2í009 bola Electric On-Road 2679 07-06-2014 06:25 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:07 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net