R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-21-2004, 06:46 AM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

personally i would stay away from the eagle ones (well integy over in the US)....i just got rid of mine because i would set 1.5 deg camber front and rear left and right....but after i took the guages off and put my rpm guage on it it would read 1 deg pos one side and 4 deg neg the other....

i think the most accurate way of measuring camber is by using something like the rpm tool, the serpent one, team atlas etc because your using the same tool for each corner and will give the same readings, where as setup stations will all give a different reading for each corner if you get what i mean, you can't get 4 exact camber guages in a setup station.

hope it made sense
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by raving-monkey
personally i would stay away from the eagle ones (well integy over in the US)....i just got rid of mine because i would set 1.5 deg camber front and rear left and right....but after i took the guages off and put my rpm guage on it it would read 1 deg pos one side and 4 deg neg the other....

i think the most accurate way of measuring camber is by using something like the rpm tool, the serpent one, team atlas etc because your using the same tool for each corner and will give the same readings, where as setup stations will all give a different reading for each corner if you get what i mean, you can't get 4 exact camber guages in a setup station.

hope it made sense

Are you sure it isn't your tires or rims that are throwing the reading off??? The RPM gauge is great for offroad, I've tried it with onroad and have gotten readings that were way off....
Old 12-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
Are you sure it isn't your tires or rims that are throwing the reading off??? The RPM gauge is great for offroad, I've tried it with onroad and have gotten readings that were way off....
AMEN
unless you are using perfectly flat tires you will get mixed results. I use setup wheels for checking insted of always throwing the car in the system.
Hope this sheads a little light.
If you don't use it right it won't give you right results.
My Integy setup system works flawlessly and gives accurate results, if it didn't it wouldn't sell......
Just my two pennies.

Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:00 AM   #19
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

i just use some wheels that have never been used (they are just bare wheels, no tyres or inserts)

im gonna end up getting a hudy setup statin (the one at $120, i already got theboard, droop guages etc) but if a setup station ahs any slop in it you can forget about accurate readings
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:28 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Even so Raving.
The wheels are not accurate, just spin them and see ... and here rellies the problem, we are spending a fortune in set-ups, just to spoil everýthing with $2 wheels !!
gearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:44 AM   #21
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

I think it all depends on the level you want to be at in RC. If you are just messing around and trying to get a taste for it, by all means, go with the RPM stuff.
There is really nothing wrong with the Integy sestem either. I had one. but after seeing the old Hudy system (with the clear plexiglass) I soon switched over to the Hudy. In my opinion, it was much better than the Integy.
I used the old Hudy for years until their new set-up system was intorduced and I bought that. It is an incredible piece of equipment. I really love it. Was it expensive? YES. Will it last forever? YES. Will I ever need anither set-up system? NO (at least not until Hudy comes out with something new ).

Bottom line is that, while Hudy stuff is more expensive, nothing can compare to their quality and accuracy. Their stuff will last forever and assuming you take good care of it, it will hold it's value if you ever decide to sell it!

Definately worth the investment in my opinion!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:51 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've never seen need to buy a setup system. I can do the same with a camber gage (I use an Associated one like comes with the B4), small tape measure (for toe it) and a MIP tweak station. Maybe a ride height gage, but a some spur gears are the right height if your car didn't come with one.
As long you pay attention to detail, it will ome out right on the money. I've put my cars on some people's expensive stations at the track and they are right on. You can buy an expensive station, but if I want to spend another $100 or more, I'll buy motors, tires, or batteries.

just my $.02
take care
john
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:07 PM   #23
Tech Elite

The important thing, is to have control over the setup. That is, camber equal from side to side, same goes for downtravel etc. Whichever it's measured in degrees or YYY, doesnt matter, as long you can repeat it from time to time.

Personally, I wonder why people throw out a ton of money for the ability of measuring very excatly, while theri ball cups etc. has a lot of slop

Personally, I'm doing well with a little Schumacher kit made of graphite. It contains setup wheels, camber gauges, ride hight and downtravel gismos. Add in a MDF board, a ruler and a caliper (for steering linkage) and you're flying.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:37 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The only problem with using an RPM camber gauge, especially in onroad, is if the wheels are even slightly bent or warped it'll screw with the readings. If you're going to use one, get a set of aluminum setup wheels. They'll stay straight and give you better readings. Personally I like the Integy setup system (did I just say I like an Integy product? ) It's easy and accurate. It's cheaper than the Hudy one and the old plastic Hudy one can get scratched up and become hard to read. I use both methods for tweak, the MIP Tweak station and the hobby knife method. The problem with the hobby knife method is if your flat surface isn't perfectly level, it can effect how accurate you are. The MIP station self levels but you have to be very accurate and get the car aligned just right on the station or it can be off as well. You also have to make sure the balance bar is perfectly balanced as well.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
I think it all depends on the level you want to be at in RC. If you are just messing around and trying to get a taste for it, by all means, go with the RPM stuff.
There is really nothing wrong with the Integy sestem either. I had one. but after seeing the old Hudy system (with the clear plexiglass) I soon switched over to the Hudy. In my opinion, it was much better than the Integy.
I used the old Hudy for years until their new set-up system was intorduced and I bought that. It is an incredible piece of equipment. I really love it. Was it expensive? YES. Will it last forever? YES. Will I ever need anither set-up system? NO (at least not until Hudy comes out with something new ).

Bottom line is that, while Hudy stuff is more expensive, nothing can compare to their quality and accuracy. Their stuff will last forever and assuming you take good care of it, it will hold it's value if you ever decide to sell it!

Definately worth the investment in my opinion!
Have you used the Tweek portion of the Hudy all in one system and if so what were your findings?

Mike
ProMatch
Parma
Michal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:48 AM   #26
B&O
Tech Apprentice

I have the system but I think it is just over priced. I used it once and basically go back to what I used before...

Yokomo Setup wheel. (aluminium)
RPM camber gauge
Scale
Searching for MIP used Tweak Station
Any Height gauge (Jet Racing)
Down Stop Gauge (Jet Racing)
Take off Setup board...

for me this is good enough
B&O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:03 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by B&O
I have the system but I think it is just over priced. I used it once and basically go back to what I used before...

Yokomo Setup wheel. (aluminium)
RPM camber gauge
Scale
Searching for MIP used Tweak Station
Any Height gauge (Jet Racing)
Down Stop Gauge (Jet Racing)
Take off Setup board...

for me this is good enough
Well spoken.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

You DO NOT need an expensive setup station to be competitive. I've been using a few setup tools for the past few years. Most of which companies now include in their kits...

-AE ride height gauge
-AE droop gauge
-RPM camber gauge
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:50 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Used the Integy system last night and it took all of ten minutes to put everything in it's place and put everything back in the case.
I say if you have a few extra bucks it is worth having in your inventory. I have only one thing I rarely use in mine and that is the Battery Zapper. I tend to not use it since I have a great charger and discharge system. I wouldn;t say you need the setup system it is just another nice tool to have in your kit. I look at it like, Do I have five hundred L shaped allen wrenches in my garage and I realy don't need the nice aluminum Hudy, Integy, AE, Losi hand wrenches, But hey I went and got them (integy and AE) and I will never use those L shaped ones again.
Ask yourself these questions.
Do you have the $$$?
Will it make it easier to do the job?
Will it last?
Is it something your wife won't kill you for buying????? THIS ONE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. LOL
Really it i sup to you on what you want.
Yes the setup system work,
People who say the Integy Or Hudy ones don't work I have to disagree, I have the Integy one and have used the Hudy both work great. I find that if it didn't work for you it might be that you didn't use it right.
Just food for thought.
Thanks for listening to my rant..
Take Care All & GOD Bless
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

Adding my 2 cents in...

I have the Hudy system and also the RPM gauges, I will use the Hudy at home the night before to get everything where I want it and then re-check MY ACCURACY with the RPM, I usually find the mistakes are mine not the guages....Then once I am at the track I use the RPM gauges for changes and re-checking after the run, the Hudy is a bit much to pull out...

I will also second the use of the Yokomo setup wheels, I think they are one of the best investments for setup I have made...