Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Another AMB Price Increase is it Fair? >

Another AMB Price Increase is it Fair?

Another AMB Price Increase is it Fair?

Old 12-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Exactly Rick.

The nice thing is the resale on these is almost as high as new since they really don't go bad or wear out. Guys that bought theirs at $55 are now getting $75 for it used. Not a bad deal. Only worry is if something comes out and obsoletes them.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
DAMN, this thing cost as much as a Novak Smart Tray, Sheeesh, figure that one out

- jaybee
Old 12-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by copter
Heh, stop whining. AMB personal transponders cost 130 EUR (~ 170 USD) here..
$170 ???

Originally posted by LoSi xXx S
how much would the price now will be?
From AMB site:

$95 (USD)
$146 (AUD)
11,725¥ (JPY)
79€ (EUR)
£69 (UKP)

Handout transponder £84 (UKP)

Old 12-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Another AMB Price Increase is it Fair?

Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
The only fair price is the price you are willing to pay.

Just for reference, and AMB transponder for a full size race car is almost $300.00.
I am not worried about me, but what about thoes who can't afford one? What about the kid that wants to drive RC and be competitive and has to pay extra to race every weekend to race because he does not have a transponder? Yes I know the bottom line but is it wrong for me to question why they keep raising the price, it seem that no one can answer this question.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

So you say the ones for full size cars are $300. Considering the cars we race are usually 1/10 scale that would mean the price should be $30. Since AMB has the monopoly they can chage as much as they can if we will pay for it. I can tell you for a fact that there is no way it costs $30 to build one of those systems, including paying the people to assemble them. Especially since I work in the electronics industry, I have some insight on this.
The one thing I have learned is that we don't need them for racing. Maybe at national events, where the racing is usually closer. But they should be an option of buying and then keeping them for your own use, if they don't already do that. Would it be smarter to up the price of a race and give two choices. If you have a transponder the cost goes down, if not, then the price would be higher just that one time. This would only be for the big races.
Maybe we should start implementing "spotters" like they do for Nascar. It would maybe even get more people interested. It would be a better idea for some of the smaller clubs to gain members. And it might help nullify the AMB thing a bit. Be creative at your track if you really hate the prices that AMB charges. Remember the more stock sitting around they have the more likely it will be for prices to drop.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

has anyone ever torn one of them apart?
could you make your own personal transponder that will work on the amb system?
whats actually inside the things? for 90 bucks it better be something i cant buy and make myself
Old 12-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ive had one apart b4 it might be something you could duplicate in simple circuitry but the tx portion of it would be complicated ? its also packed with epoxy so reading the correct values of all the compoents may be difficult
Old 12-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if i had the money id get one, give it to me dad(hes some sort of wierd mad scientist), and tell him to make me a dozen of them. i wouldnt mind if they werent the same size or anything just as long as they only cost like 20 bucks.

he would get all the parts for nothing, i dunno where he works anymore, motarolla or northrup gruman or tellabs.

anyways im bored and rambling, anyone got a broken one ill buy it off ya
Old 12-21-2004, 01:31 PM
J-P
Tech Regular

i got mine at the begining of the year and it cost £50 ($92) everytime my local club gets them they have to subsidise them to keep them at the same price but im sure they've gone up now lots of guys i know who race want them but cant justify getting one, it does make life simpler (no forgeting to put a handout in)

J-P
Old 12-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Well I feel for the Eruro Racers they are getting raped too.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

I bought mine through my local club last year for £50 which was with a bulk purchase so some sort of discount applies this year people want them and with a bullk order they are going to be £60+ with the discount. I wanted to see if they could do a replica trasnponder so i could have it in my second car with the same number but i think i will give it a miss!
Old 12-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

As mentioned earlier in the thread. The single biggest reason for the price increase is because of the weak value of the U.S. dollar vs. the Euro.

Now, for all of you saying "is it fair for AMB to raise there prices?" Answer this question. If you were the owner of a company, would you sell a product on the international market without making a profit? Of course not, and neither will AMB. Yes, the transponders have gotten pricey. But unlike motors, brushes, batteries, tires, etc. it will never wear out. So, do yourself a favor and by one now before they go up in price again. In the long run, its an investment you;ll be glad you made.

Now, go charge up some batteries and go racing!
Old 12-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Tech Rookie

it going up 14 %
Old 12-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by MADHAT
As mentioned earlier in the thread. The single biggest reason for the price increase is because of the weak value of the U.S. dollar vs. the Euro.
So why are prices goin up in other countries where Euro vs other currencys exch is going other way? & why not all rises by same %?? i never hear good reason why prices keep goin up & up .
Old 12-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.