R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2004, 05:29 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I saw a post saying to soak a belt in wd40..simply put the belt in a ziplock bag, spray a generous amount of wd40 in it, seal it up nd liet it soak for about two weeks...then take it out, wipe it down and away you go...but two weeks seems like an awful long time
hogdaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Aside from the belt mods (removing teeth, making narrower, etc), dont' forget that simply making sure that every moving component/bearing along that drive line is clean, free spinning and well lubricated is just as important.

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:25 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The current crop of belt cars (Mi2, Xray, 415, etc) are so free out of the box its sick...unless you put something together wrong...lol!

There is no need to clip teeth off of belts. If you were to run back to back tests on the clock I seriously doubt anyone would see a difference. A better line in one corner or a set of new brushes will make a bigger difference to lap times.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:44 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Mi2 i just got and built is free like a motha...and I have a little tension on the belt from the tighteners.....cant wait to feel it after a few runs and a bearing cleaning...my TC3 is fairly free, but the mi2 is crazy free right outta the box
hogdaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:15 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
The current crop of belt cars (Mi2, Xray, 415, etc) are so free out of the box its sick...unless you put something together wrong...lol!

There is no need to clip teeth off of belts. If you were to run back to back tests on the clock I seriously doubt anyone would see a difference. A better line in one corner or a set of new brushes will make a bigger difference to lap times.

Finally some sense on this thread

The trimming of teeth off the belt was only done for the XXXS because it uses a faily large tooth size and there is a lot of "belt-wrap" in the drivetrain. (belt-wrap is how many teeth are in contact with the pulleys at any given time) - it was found that you could cut a few teeth on the belt and still have enough left without excessive slipping. You would certainly NOT do it for any belt drive cars with smaller tooth belts! You also don't need to narrow the belts on most modern tourers as most are only about 5mm wide anyway.

The best way to maximise the efficiency of a belt drive car is to make sure the diffs run smoothly in the bulkhead/tranny case etc - that's basically all you need to do.

If you want to soak the belt in something - DON'T soak it in an oil based product that will attract dirt - You don't want to use a standard style lubricant here - you want to use something that makes the surface of the pulley and belt slippery and something that will keep the belt cooler - so try soaking them in silicone spray - it works magic on all the cars I've used it on.

But unless you are racing on a very clean surface (or have a sealed belt drive) then I wouldn't recommend it.
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:56 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Good points guys. The Xray FK comes super free. Josh Cyrul and some guys at my track cut every other tooth on the pulleys. It's easy on the Xray since the pulley's side covers come off. For mod, Josh suggests not to do it to the rear diff pulley.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:08 PM   #22
Tech Adept

what what bearing lube you guys use that dosent attract dirt?
tuil21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:25 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Justin Zorc

fuel injector cleaner
Justin Zorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:27 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

thanks for all the tips guys. i will try them all!!
soto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:44 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

I have a xray evo 2.5 that is super free. i soaked the bearings in lighter fluid for a couple of days to clean out all of the old grease, clean them with motor spray, and use the sin lube from acer. I would take the advice of the posts that concentrate on the diffs and bearings and leave the belts alone.
jlrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:55 PM   #26
Tech Champion

The lighter the bearing lube the better. I also use as little oil as possible. I use needle type applicators and put less than one drop of oil per clean, oil free bearing. If you fill up a bearing it will have hydraulic drag from the bearings pushing through all the oil. That and the oil will slink all over the place and attract dirt.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:23 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I worked for hours on my drive train when I drove a Losi, doing all the tricks I could find. My Mi2 was more free built stock than the XXXS ever was. Besides, there is also such thing as too free.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 12:35 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

i sanded down my xray belts until i could just see the fibres and it made a huge difference to how fast the car was. the car was more punchy and reached its top end quicker. i also wetted the belt fibres with thinner whilst it was still in the car.

what do you mean too free?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:06 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Sloppy. Someone posted a little while back about getting better lap times with tighter belts. If your belts are too loose you can loose some snap.

I think Mr. Filipow out it perfectly, making sire the bearing are clean and all the rotating parts are aligned right and clean and free is more important than anything.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:26 PM   #30
Tech Initiate

you might get a more snappy response but loose belts give a higher top speed than not so loose belts and also make the car more efficient. it also depens on the track you are on.

i loosened the belts because my car was slower down the straight and i knew this would help. i think tighter would be better for indoor though.