R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-22-2004, 11:20 AM   #91
Tech Master

We shouldn't dumb down the cars cause yeh suck!

Were gonna have the same issues in 4 cell as we do in 6-cell

If anything, matched cells and tuned motors are gonna mean more. Batterys might be cheaper....Thats about the only thing I can see improved

If we go 4 cell were all gonna have to get new cars because the manufactuers are gonna design 4-cell specific chassis that'll be faster. If I wanted low matinence and 4 cells I'd do 12th scale!

If you want a slow, low matienence TC class...Theres Mabuchi 540

Just my point of view

-Dan
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:49 PM   #92
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

I think it is easier.
Go get the Yok, Xray or Corally Mini TC's and have all the fun. If you have never driven one you are missing out. The Corally has the option of adding a 6cell pack insted of the standard 4 cell packs. I will tell you with a good Hot Mod motor these mini's are quite competative. I just spanked the guys in 19t class and they all want one now. Just come to SoCal tomorrow I will have mine there. I will even let you drive it. You will all change your minds about dumbing down when you drive one of these. I radar checked mine with a well used 9 turn and it still moved at 28mph. With a well tuned D5 11x1 it moves @ 32mph so is this dumbing down. I think if you want the fun and don't want the expence try a mini I think even HPI had a mini a while back.
Give them a look.
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 06:11 PM   #93
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cr250
daniz24 - Contact SPC . For my 1/12th scale I purchased 4-cell, GP 3300 packs from them that were 1.168 volt, and 455 sec. They were graded at a 30 amp discharge.
hmmm 455 sec on 30A discharge from a 3300 battery is sounds like almost impossible
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 06:13 PM   #94
Regional Moderator

Yes, 4 cell car has less voltage but the car is lighter and more balanced. That's why I think lap times are not far behind 6 cells with better consistency.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:02 PM   #95
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
hmmm 455 sec on 30A discharge from a 3300 battery is sounds like almost impossible
I have seen those. They're rare but they are out there.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #96
Tech Fanatic

Why not just keep our 3300's, let the mod guys run 7 cells for 8 min, crazy fast!!!
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #97
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A 7th cell won't give any more run time. If anything it'll shorten it because of the extra amp draw the motor would be pulling.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 12:12 AM   #98
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Kerr
I have seen those. They're rare but they are out there.
Yes perhaps, but I still don't sure that the labels really telling the truth.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:45 AM   #99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

here is my complaint.. reces are perfect lenghth as it is..

everyone wants more runtime, but complains about buying new packs..

now in a norml year lets say you run once a week 5 runs per day... thats 260 runs per year .. ok you get lets say 20 runs out of your tires... thats roughly 13 sets per year .. at 40 a set...

so we have a tire bill of 520.00

now lets say we go to 10 minutes races... thats now 1040.00 per year on tires...

people complain about buying batteries, but never complain about tires, brushes ect.. when you break it down, batteries are a cheap part of racing..

not to mention double the motor maintinance.. more broken or worn parts... face it the more track time you have the more it costs..

race fees alone are baed on time spent at the track.. so if your racing longer, you can expect a rise in race fees....

imagine if the snowbirds added one more mintue to racing.. we would need a whole extra day ...

dont change what isnt broke.. if you want more runtime, practice more.. not only do i not want to stand on the drivers stand for more then 8 minutes, but then have to corner marshal for another 8... thats almost 20 mintues of my life gone... just because a new battery came out...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:01 AM   #100
Tech Apprentice

PW: Interesting.... we miss 2 cells (1/3rd of the energy) and we will be as fast with motor tricks? Please explain....

Its a interesting discussion though, with plenty of good arguments. I like esspecially the one from the marshalling (burbs)!

4 cell might be interesting if we can handle the issue with the receiver cells, but I think personally its too much hassle. If just somebody wants to try 5 cells: Take a 8x1, gear it on 8.5 and try.
Oscar Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:15 AM   #101
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

Currently my main focus is pan cars.. or oval cars... We made thw switch to 4 cell a long time ago... this helped out a ton in many ways...

in stock class..

no more battery wars... you have to focus on setup now... tires and setup, are 90% of the game.. efficiancy will make up for the loss in speed...

motor issue is also not as big...

and we get almost a full season out of a set of rubber cap tires.. instead of a set a month.. foams we go through a bit more but still half as much as 6 cell...

our 4 cell mod record now is currently 2 laps faster then 6 cell mod was..WHY?? because the car is still fast, but the setup is alot better, and your not pushing the car to its absolute limits..

I use to run 6 cell stock.. i took a 4 year brean and went to sedans... when i cam e back, i was stuck at 44 laps for 3 weeks... i thought the car was good on the track but it wasnt.. i worked on the setup one night with a buddy.. by the next wek i was at 46 laps.. 2 lap gain just in some minor setup changes.. our track record in stock on our paved track was set with a average pack, and a motor that pulled under 60 on the dyno..

Heck the gy who won the paved nats this year is an average guy in his 50's.. he drives a peanut line, (he will agree) but his car was so efficient it was fast...this is also the key to 12th scale. the better and more efficient the car, the longer it will run and the faster it will be..

all more runtime will do is let us drop a few more winds.. look what happened when the gp's came out.. every went to 6 and 7 turns.. i think most people want more speed, and be able to run the same amount of time.. maybe next year we will see 4 and 5 turn motors in the mod cars he he...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:30 AM   #102
Regional Moderator

I don't think modified motor can last over 8 mins without having the arms and the brushes change color or burned. And what about the tyres? I think the best idea for optimizing the extra runtime is only for 10 mins brushless racing

I think marshalling others for 8 mins does not have big problem, or you never consider how sad (for some people) that they have to marshalling for over 45 minutes on any GP races? If no one wants to be a marshal, then what happens?

I've heard some crazy idea regardless the war between team driver spec with common spec motors and batteries. The worlds already apply controlled tyres for its brand and quantity. Why not controlled/handout motors or batteries?

Last edited by daniz24; 12-23-2004 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:32 AM   #103
Tech Champion

........ 7 minutes modified is good enough. Is it possible with GP 3600 ?

Btw..... when in this world, the regulation body would lift off the rubber tires requirements ? I'm bored to glue... and glue... and glue... the rubber tires.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:22 AM   #104
Suspended

Last edited by cr250; 10-19-2013 at 02:38 PM.
cr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:33 AM   #105
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
thats not rare how many can I show you!
it all depends who is the matcher. Problem is you need to be quick at the store or know someone in the matching buiss to get them but trust me there are a lot of them 440+'s out there.