R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-17-2002, 05:10 PM   #31
Mal

Sorry, for that comment EMA. I read the rules and tried to apply some logic to it. Apperently ROAR doesn't do things in a logical manner.

Well ... I'm still waiting on a ruling from Rex. I'll be very disappointed if he goes with the "You can use your own inserts" rule. What's the point of giving us a hand out insert if it doesn't have to be used? Hell, the track could just give us 10 year old foam inserts to satisfy the current ROAR rulling. Hell .... I'm tempted to withdraw from the Nationals now. I'm not about to spend $100s of dollars to test out tire and insert combos.

Again ROAR makes rules and only goes half way, just like they did with the foam and rubber rule. ROAR keeps trying to satify everyone but doesn't realize that it's impossible.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:25 PM   #32
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

No problem Mal...Sorry for being so harsh...kinda struck me the wrong way after a bad day at work!! LOL.

I agree. I even head a rumor that Billy (Sorex USA) offered to premount all the tires they need for the nats but the guys hosting the race didnt want to.

eric a
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:31 PM   #33
Mal

EMA, yeah we all have those days at work I got a little fired up as I slowly realized ROAR messed up yet again ....

Well ... I can see why the track didn't want the tires prebuilt. It obviously gives the locals an added advantage. They have months to test out tire and insert combos while we only have 2 days.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:54 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Billy told them that HE would set up and run a tech area so the inserts mounted were the ones included in the entry, the track told him no. So good luck trying to tech inserts.
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 11:20 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just wondering, what is the entry fee(mod/stock sedan)? How much is it to buy additional sets of tires?
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 01:38 PM   #36
Tech Adept

The entry fees are $80 for Stock and $65 for Mod. You get one full set of tires and inserts with your enrty, you can buy one more full set for $24 per class entered. A full set is 4 tires and 4 inserts. With your Stock entry you also get a P2K handout motor. You can also buy more tires sets depending on what main you are in. For the "A" main you can buy 2 more full sets, for the "B" and below you can buy one full set.

If you have any other questions feel free to post them.

Later, Lee
LeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 02:24 PM   #37
Tech Rookie

Does anyone know what the track will be sprayed with for the nats?? soda?? etc

Thanks
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 03:21 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Yes the track will be sprayed. I don't know what it is but it provides good traction.

Later, Lee
Old 06-19-2002, 05:43 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Ouch 80 bucks to race stock dont you guys think thats just a little outa hand for the stock racers? Any of you guys know what the entry fee was for stock TC at the carpet nats this year? I know its hand out tires in the entry fee but still......and when the race is over what do you get maybe a 15 dollar bowling trophy.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 10:28 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Well....I can give a little insight on which insert to use with the Sorex tires.

No....I have not ran on the track in Denver.....but have run on SEVERAL different tracks with the Sorex tires.

Honestly.....if you are running stock, you will probably only need the set of tires that you get with the entry....unless you tear up the tire trying to do something weird.

HPI Blues work great in the heat - high track temps 95 - 140+. At less than 90 range, use tire warmers for a couple minutes before your heat or main. Yep...never thought I would bring tire warmers to a track in the summer....but it works. JUST a couple minutes....then you can go for it from the bell!!!!

If you happen to be qualifying early, run Yokomo 24mm firms. These give a little more grip with track temps that are in the 80-110 range. Be careful at the upper range, you can get the tire hot because of the softer insert.

Rims....run a rim that is firm to hard....no soft or flexy stuff here. The tire is belted and will put down the power. I usually run the non plastic Yokomo rim or the Proline. Try to run rims that actually measure 25mm...these produce the best tire contact patch and that "just right" small air gap with either of the above inserts. .....and buy your inserts now.

I am STILL running tires from the Norrca & ROAR Nats.....and they STILL have many, many runs to go on them.

...and yes....I agree.....they should be running a premounted rim/insert/tire.
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 10:35 PM   #41
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Alcolo- I agree with you. I too have run at many different asphalt tracks, but at normal track temps (80-125) I like the HPI green instead of the Yok firm. Also, to use the HPI blue, there better be plenty of traction otherwise the blue won't get the side bite because it's so hard.

For those of you who don't have or can't afford tire warmers- setting your tires in the sun will wotk too. Rotate them every 10 minutes or so...
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:28 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Kevin - Lets see what you get for your $80.

Nats costs (prices from the entry form)
1 full set of tires and inserts $24
1 P2K motor $20
1 T shirt $15

Total $59

Plus 4 days of racing.
The street price for all of the stuff listed above is about $95-100. $80 is pretty cheap compared to the days of no handouts when you would end up buying a couple hundred bucks worth of tires just make sure you had the right tire.

Acloco and Big Dog
You guys are right on the money. The most common inserts are HPI greens and Blues. I have not tried the Yok firms yet. I have a set of tires to mount up for this weekend, I will try the yoks to see how they compare. Are either of you coming to Nats?

Later, Lee

Last edited by LeeS; 06-20-2002 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:40 AM   #43
Tech Elite

We've been using the Sorex inserts as well very successfully @ Speedworld Raceway(the Sorex importer).
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 10:11 AM   #44
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

I wish I was coming to the Nats...

Oh yea, I forgot that I too have used the Sorex inserts successfully. In fact, I can't feel much difference between the Sorex thich medium and the HPI green (on the track).
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 11:16 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Default SOREX 36R's

Good tire choice!!!!

But not to good if track temperatures are too high.

Sorex firm inserts are a bit hard and prone to sliding on tight corners, medium is a lot better

but YOKOMO medium insert with SOREX 36R's are like a match made in heaven!!!!

Lem
Manila, Philippines

Peace
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote