R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-16-2002, 10:34 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I personally think the idea of pre-mounted/glued tires was an excellent idea (like the carpet nats, and the reedy race). This way everyone runs the same tire and insert. I think I spent right about $100 for tires the whole weekend at the Reedy Race

Harshguy, STLNLST,

You guys going to the ROAR Nats?

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:30 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Type B equivalent?

Hi!

My preferred LHS happens to be the NOT exlusive distributor of Tamiya products. I was wondering what Sorex tires are the equivalent of the Tamiya type B tire/hard inserts?

Thanks,
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:48 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

I personally think the idea of pre-mounted/glued tires was an excellent idea (like the carpet nats, and the reedy race). This way everyone runs the same tire and insert. I think I spent right about $100 for tires the whole weekend at the Reedy Race

Harshguy, STLNLST,

You guys going to the ROAR Nats?

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
No Roar nats for me. I'm saving a little cash this time around.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:52 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Me neither, had to take it ea$y on the big event$ thi$ year. I'm hoping I can hit $ome of the big event$ next year.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 12:30 PM   #20
Mal

Where'd you hear you don't have to use the hand out inserts? Who ever told you that probably wants you to get disqualified. That's just like saying, "They're handing out the sorex 36 tires but you really don't have to use them". What you can do is grind the inserts down to different shapes.

In my opinion, it totally sucks that they're not using a prebuild tire. When you run a nationals event you don't have to use the tire that works best. You use the tire that evens the playing ground for all. The prebuilt take off 32s (Or take off 37s) would have worked just fine. They just made the cost to race at this event much more expensive by selling the tires, inserts, and rims seperate. Was so nice at carpet nationals, Scott ran a great race and didn't try to make money off the racers. He sold a package of 4 prebuilt tires for $20.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 01:00 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
Where'd you hear you don't have to use the hand out inserts?
Right here in this thread. The third post. By EAMotorsports, who I assumed knew what he was posting...

I agree with you, the pre-builds are the best way to make handouts fair for everyone.

Trips
Old 06-17-2002, 01:51 PM   #22
Mal

EAM is wrong, not sure where he got his information from. The main point of hand out equipment is to standardize what everyone runs. If you're unsure of this rule, e-mail Rex Baldwin (ROAR president).

Last edited by Mal; 06-17-2002 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:25 PM   #23
Tech Adept

This is from the ROAR Nationals Guidelines it is from the section called Handout Tire Procedure:

It is section I

I. Technical inspectors will check each vehicle for proper driver ID/Tire number(s). Inserts do not need to be checked.
Drivers may use their own inserts except when pre-built tires are the handouts. Vehicles without proper tires will not be
allowed to run.

I hope this clears up some off the confusion.

Later, Lee
LeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 03:17 PM   #24
Mal

Actually, that doesn't clear things up. Those rules were written when national events only supplied hand out tires (Not hand out tires and inserts). Notice the rule doesn't mention hand out inserts. Hand out inserts and prebuilt tires are a new thing.

As you can see with the gas nationals. The rules are changing because of a few overlooked rules. ROAR is still fine tuning the current rules.

I'm going to e-mail Rex Baldwin today and find out what his ruling on this issue will be.....
Old 06-17-2002, 03:23 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It clears thing up completely. They have to hand out tires and inserts, but you don't have to use the handout inserts unless the handouts are pre-built. What part isn't clear? The rule clearly mentions handout inserts, and also clearly states they don't have to be checked and that drivers can use their own, unless the handout tires are pre-built.

Read the rules right here:

http://www.roarracing.com/rules/pdfs/2002guidelines.pdf

Page ten, "Handout Tire Procedure".

Trips
Old 06-17-2002, 03:28 PM   #26
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Just my $.02- I'd be willing to bet that since Sorex tires and inserts come packaged seperately and you can't even buy them together (that I know of) they are going to enforce the tire/insert combination to be used together. Like a prebuilt that you have to build... LOL. I can't imagine them giving you seperate tires and inserts only to allow use of a different insert.

Remember, sanctioning bodies are like the government- they only have to use their rules when they want to....
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 03:34 PM   #27
Mal

The part that isn't clear is that no where in that rule does it mention hand out inserts. It mentions hand out prebuilt tires and hand out tires.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:39 PM   #28
Mal

Oh yeah, another thing to think about. Those rules were written last year. The 2002 on-road nations will be the first race ever where hand out inserts will be used.

I just e-mailed Rex Baldwin. I'll post his response soon as I get it.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:51 PM   #29
Tech Adept

This is the rule from the ROAR rule book.

4-12: Handout tires and inserts are required for certain classes using rubber tires at Level 4
events: Any business agreement is between the host and the tire's provider, not ROAR. If
necessary, the host should make sure returns will be taken by the tire provider for unsold tires.

I personally would like to see a "handout tire and insert" but the way that ROAR has written the rules and Nationals guidline acually contradict each other. The rules say that you have to provide both and the guidline say you only have to use the tire.

Later, Lee
LeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:47 PM   #30
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

TmLost
Rookie

Handout Tires must be run but the insert is up to you...

ROAR rules sate that if the tires are pre-glued you must run the inserts that are glued into the tire.

But because our tires are not glued on to rims it would be next to immposiable to tech which insert is in a glued tire.

ROAR rules also make us provide you inserts with the handout tires.

The tire/insert combo that we are providing work very well for our track.

Here is the quote from Chad at MHOR giving the explanation on another web site about the Tires.

So before you tell everyone I am giving out bad info Mal and saying I want people to get disqualified maybe you should do a some RESEARCH.

eric anderson
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote