R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2004, 10:39 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I did it so I wouldn't have to buy $80 battery packs.If you think stock is some kind of great equalizer your DREAMING.It's just the opposite.

Stock is a battery war-high voltage packs make more horsepower than anything you can do to tune a stock motor.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:32 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to microrcdude

I put a P2K Arm in a GM3 can, and got a little too much torque

MayorRC.com
microrcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:13 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

dr olds.. try working on chasis s setup.. if you get it right you would think differently... ive raced oval for 14 years.. and trust me in oval, battery motr are more critical...but unless the chassis is good, you dont feel the extra voltage...

anyone can build a good stock motor.. generally you will never see one over 75 on a fantom.. and if you do a halfway decent job on building, they will average 60+

now check a mod motor... depending on the builder and wind, power will greatly differ... you do not need 80 dollar packs to run a mod class.. the gp 3300's have changed that.. i run ded shorted packs in 19 every week... i dont dump....

in mod i wouldnt recomend dead shorting, but you can still compete.. just dont run a 6 turn..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:48 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, anyone can make a stock motor read high on fantom....its not the best dyno out there...

And while anyone could build a stock motor, building one correctly is a whole different matter. 9 out of 10 racers can't align brush hoods worth a crap......sorry folks, its rarely straight across from each other....

And high voltage packs help, but the GP3300 packs we are seeing for the last year have pretty much made them accesible to anyone for reasonable prices...and believe it or not, you reach a point of diminishing returns, as too much voltage just grenades the comm, even on a stock motor....

And chassis setup is critical in stock, if yer scrubbing speed, even the BEST motor and BEST battery will be negated.....you have to have the complete package in stock....top to bottom.

And before anyone says "EddieO, yer just saying this so you can sell more stock motors"....forget it, I would rather sell mods....and to ANYONE who wants to learn to build a stock motor, I can point in the direction for great info or even tell you in PM or email all the same tips and tricks I use...

Later EddieO
Old 12-19-2004, 11:59 PM   #20
Tech Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by burbs
dr olds.. try working on chasis s setup.. if you get it right you would think differently... ive raced oval for 14 years.. and trust me in oval, battery motr are more critical...but unless the chassis is good, you dont feel the extra voltage...

]I currently hold the track record in stock truck oval with a motor that made 52 watts on the Fantom so I know a thing or two about chassis setup(and gearing).I run the same car in mod with no chassis changes because it handles the same no matter how much more power I stick in it.I have perfectly legal motors that make 63 watts on the Fantom but they aren't any faster(or slower) in the car.The legal ones are very high maintenence-my "cheater" ones aren't.

anyone can build a good stock motor.. generally you will never see one over 75 on a fantom.. and if you do a halfway decent job on building, they will average 60+

If anyone could build a competitve stock motor than there wouldn't be a market for tuners,but it's huge.Stock is an expert class-just the opposite of what it is supposed to be.

now check a mod motor... depending on the builder and wind, power will greatly differ... you do not need 80 dollar packs to run a mod class.. the gp 3300's have changed that.. i run ded shorted packs in 19 every week... i dont dump....

[/QUOTE Excactly! You don't have to be an expert motor tuner to run good in mod at the club level.Need more power? Drop a wind,or crank the timing-dumping isn't an issue.And you don't need expensive high voltage packs.It is perfectly legal to spend money hand over fist to be fast in stock but use a little free ingenuity and swap arms and your a dirty filthy CHEATER.It's a stupid and counterproductive rule so I disregard it.

Last edited by DrOlds; 12-20-2004 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:47 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to wildman

EDDIEO,
PLEASE SEND ME YOUR TIPS ON STOCK MOTORS.
I CAN SAY WITH OUT ANY QUESTION ON TODAYS LARGER AND WIDE OPEN ON ROAD TRACKS THAT IN STOCK YOU CAN ALMOST BUY A WIN. I SEEN A RACE THIS PAST WEEKEND WERE A VERY GOOD DRIVER B OR C MAIN AT MOD NATS TYPE OF DRIVER GOT SMOKED BY AN AVERAGE DRIVER DUE TO LARGE STAIGHT AND EXTREMLY LARGE TRACK! THATS WHY I LOVE MOD! IT'S AN EQUAL PLAYING FIELD AT ANY CLUB RACE THANKS TO THE NEW BATT'S.
JUST MY 2 CENTS
BB
Old 12-20-2004, 02:22 PM   #22
Tech Master

sorry i meant oval pan car,.. not gear box... i started in gear box class... it was pretty easy to be top dawg with just about any equipment...

ps your argument is kinda off pace.. you say you need super packs, and such to be fast in stock.. yet u say u dont and you are fast.. kinda what i was saying..

Quote:
my "cheater" ones aren't.
at least you admit you run cheater motors...a record isnt a true record if it was done with a cheater motor.. but if it is an outlaw motor class then that is different... every motor needs maintinance.. it just how it works... things wear out..
Old 12-20-2004, 02:35 PM   #23
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

i doubt you;d get many top racers doing this as it is a hybrid motor (i mean you can't even put a different coloured V2 endbell on a V2 motor!!!)

well atleast its this way in the BRCA...
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:31 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by burbs

Burbs-you aren't doing the forum or anyone any good by talking down to people and going out of your way to be a dick right off the bat.There are several significant points in my post that you completely missed.But you obviously know everything,can't be told anything,and your accomplishments are the only ones of any sigificance.Just because you have been racing for 14 years doesn't mean you know everything-you might be a slow learner.Flame wars are pointless so I will leave it to you to talk trash.Blueisbetter posted the question and I shared what I have found-wasn't expecting get told I was a moron about a completely different subject.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:51 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Hello Again Guys

didnt mean to cause aruments on here

just wanted to know if anyone was mixing and matching to get a better stock

and hi eddieO

I to would love a pm on the stock tricks
BlueisBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:23 AM   #26
Tech Master

DR there is no flame war... I picked you because your post was the one i thought i should comment on... if you dont want an opinion on your comments, dont post on a public forum...

i never bashed you , called you names ect... i comented on exactly what you said.. and stated some truthefull fact, you said.. My cheater motors... to me anyone who cheats , and says it openly deserves a coment... Im not the only one who posted the same type of comment...

Im sorry you feel that a little critisism is bashing... ITs just a part of life...OPEN public forums , are open to anyone who wants to comment...

i never said i know everything.. or cant be told anything.. You said that, because you need something to bash me on... i was never a dick... also something you said...;

you called me a slow learner,,, also a bash... ive never called you names.... i simply pointed out your comment in your second post was exactly what i stated in my first post.. and you said i dont know what im talking about.... but as soon as i defend the reason i posted it... then oh my god Burbs is bashing me.. Oh no.... who really is being a dick... take a little critisism, and enjoy a general discusion..

i simply pointed out you admitted to using cheater motors...comments like (It's a stupid and counterproductive rule so I disregard it.)... aparantly rules mean nothing to you... its not inganuity.. its cheating... swaping arms has been around for a long long time.. this is not somethign new.. that is why the rule has been around for a long long time... THAT IS MY OPINION ON YOUR COMMENT.. IF YOU dont like it thats fine... but I dont like people who cheat.... Especially people who openly cheat... i dont care what class it is..Rules are made for reasons...

Last edited by burbs; 12-21-2004 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:57 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
you called me a slow learner,,, also a bash... ive never called you names....
Geez...it looks like you read about as carefully as you write. The word is "SARCASM".

What he said was actually pretty funny. He said that just because you'd been doing it for a long time, it doesn't mean you're an expert...maybe you're just a slow learner...

(Larry the Cable Guy voice *on*)

Now I don' care who ya'are...at's funny...

(Larry the Cable Guy voice *off*)

Please take a deep breath...

Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:06 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Turbo Joe,

(Larry the Cable Guy voice *on*)

Now I don' care who ya'are...at's funny...

(Larry the Cable Guy voice *off*)

Please take a deep breath...

LOL
Jamie Corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:13 PM   #29
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

Hi EddieO,

Don't suppose you'd mind dropping me a PM/email ([email protected]) with some stock moto tips could you please?
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:25 PM   #30
Tech Initiate

to get your stock motor fast try these tips.

1. polish your bushings using a dremel tool with a cotton bud in the end with metal polish.

2.shim you armature properly so that it sits nicelely within the magnetic filed of the magnets.

3.have a fan on the motor before the actual race to slow the warming process.

4.try and use thick 12 awg wires which help with the punch.

hope this helps
soto is offline   Reply With Quote