Wiki Posts
Search

2012 R.O.A.R Carpet Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default 2012 R.O.A.R. Carpet Nationals

As you may already know, the upcoming R.O.A.R. Carpet Nationals will be hosted by Mike's Hobby Shop and Raceway this coming March. We are proud to have the distinct privilege of providing racers in North America with a world class facility and race experience. Below you will find current information about the race, and more will be added as soon as the information is finalized. If you find the information you're looking for is not here please feel free to contact me.

1201 N. I-35 East
Carrollton, TX
214-242-4930

www.mikeshobbyshop.com
[email protected]

Andrew Doherty
214-245-6651
[email protected]

DATES:
March 16th-18th

SPONSORS:
TITLE SPONSOR-RCAmerica/Xray/Hudy
MODIFIED SEDAN-Tekin
Losi
Avid
Spektrum
ThunderPower

SCHEDULE:
Thursday
Doors open at 10 am for pit set-up.
Pre-Tech open from 6-9 pm.
Track will be closed all day.

Friday
Doors open at 7. Racing begins at 8.
2 Practice rounds. Fastest 3 consecutive laps determine your seed/heat for qualifying.
1st Qualifier

Saturday
Doors open at 7 Racing begins at 8.
2 minute/10 driver practice from 7:15 to 7:45
2nd Qualifier
Resort
3rd Qualifier
4th Qualifier

Sunday
Doors open at 7 Racing begins at 8.
2 minute/10 driver practice from 7:15 to 7:45
Mains

CLASSES:
Modified 12th
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 17.5 12th
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 13.5 WGT
Standard ROAR Rules
Jaco Spec WGT Tire

Modified Sedan
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 17.5 Sedan
Standard ROAR rules

25.5 VTA
ROAR Approved 25.5
ROAR Approved Non-Timing ESC
ROAR Legal 2s Lipo
1550 weight limit
Single 8 minute main

21.5 F1
ROAR Approved 21.5
ROAR Legal 2s Lipo
190 mm max width
Independent suspension or Solid rear axle
F1 rubber tires
Single 8 minute main

SPEC SEDAN TIRE:
We are proud to announce that Jaco will be supplying the necessary Jaco Blue pre-mounts for the sedan classes and WGT Spec tires for WGT at this race. When Paul Lemieux and Drew Ellis came to race at our Fall Classic last November the tires were found to work well in Mod Sedan. We have thoroughly tested these in practice as well as club races. We were impressed with the quality control and consistency with the tires Jaco supplied to the IIC. With Jaco supplying tires for the upcoming Snowbirds and Carpet Nationals as well, it was an easy decision.

TIRE SAUCE:
The one, the only, Black Can Paragon will be the only tire sauce permitted.

ROAR will be handling registration and race entry fees at www.roarracing.com. When the registration date, fees, etc are announced I will post them here. I expect registration will open sometime at the beginning of 2012.

HOTEL INFO:
We have an agreement with the "Courtyard by Marriot" in Leswisville. Racers can ask for the "Mike's Hobby Shop Rate" when calling 972-316-3100 or use code MH9 in the Corporate/Promotional code box online at http://www.marriot.com/dalll

TRANSPORTATION:
There are two airports nearby and both are within 20 minutes of our track. Southwest flies in to Love Field. You can also fly in to DFW airport via other carriers. Our track address is:

Mike's Hobby Shop and Raceway
1201 N. I-35 East
Carrollton, TX

FOOD:
We are fortunate to have our on-site deli, Pickles and Peppers available for service during this race. They cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner fare, and offer very reasonable prices without having to be out of sight of your pits! Best of all your food is prepared as quickly as possible by Mike Dumas and his "crew". Eat like a Champ!

Last edited by andrewdoherty; 02-28-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

For those interested, here's what Paul Lemieux had to say about racing at our facility after our recent Fall Classic.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...6ca457078208e3

Is it Warm-Up race info you want? Here's the scoop...

In order to allow racers, local and otherwise, to prepare for the upcoming ROAR 2012 Carpet Nationals we are preparing our facility to host our warm-up race as well. This is your chance to make all the final adjustments before putting your best foot forward against North America's best drivers! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

DATES:
February 17th-19th 2012

CLASSES:
Modified 12th
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 17.5 12th
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 13.5 WGT
Standard ROAR Rules
Jaco Spec WGT Tire

Modified Sedan
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 17.5 Sedan
Standard ROAR rules

25.5 VTA
ROAR Approved 25.5
ROAR Legal 2s Lipo
1550 weight limit
Single 8 minute main

21.5 F1
ROAR Approved 21.5
ROAR Legal 2s Lipo
190 mm max width
Independent suspension or Solid rear axle
F1 rubber tires
Single 8 minute main

SCHEDULE:
Because this race is intended to help racers prepare for the Nationals, we decided to follow R.O.A.R.'s lead with the schedule.
Friday
Track doors open at 10 am. The track will be open for practice until 10 pm to allow out of towners to get in some laps. We may elect to provide controlled practice.

Saturday
Track doors open at 9 am. We will have a drivers meeting at 10:30 am and the first race will kick off at 11 am. We will resort after rounds 2 and 3. The track will remain open for practice after racing until 10 pm.

Sunday
The track doors will open at 9 am. The first main event will begin at 10 am. We will run the program as quickly as possible to allow those who flew in to make their flights.

Race registrations must be received by February 12th. We will have a race flyer for registration available once classes have been finalized. Please continue to check this thread for updates.

ENTRY FEES:
To encourage as many racers as possible Mike decided to hold entry fees to our club race prices.
1st Class $15
2nd+ Class $10

SPEC TIRE:
We are proud to announce that Jaco will be supplying the necessary Jaco Blue pre-mounts for the sedan classes and WGT Spec tires for WGT at this race. When Paul Lemieux and Drew Ellis came to race at our Fall Classic last November the tires were found to work well in Mod Sedan. We have thoroughly tested these in practice as well as club races. We were impressed with the quality control and consistency with the tires Jaco supplied to the IIC. With Jaco supplying tires for the upcoming Snowbirds and Carpet Nationals as well, it was an easy decision. The tires will be $28 a set and must be bought in the shop as they will be marked/tech'd for racing.

TIRE SAUCE:

HOTEL INFO:
We have an agreement with the "Courtyard by Marriot" in Leswisville. Racers can ask for the "Mike's Hobby Shop Rate" when calling 972-316-3100 or use code MH9 in the Corporate/Promotional code box online at http://www.marriot.com/dalll

TRANSPORTATION:
There are two airports nearby and both are within 20 minutes of our track. Southwest flies in to Love Field. You can also fly in to DFW airport via other carriers. Our track address is:

Mike's Hobby Shop and Raceway
1201 N. I-35 East
Carrollton, TX

FOOD:
We are fortunate to have our on-site deli, Pickles and Peppers available for service during this race. They cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner fare, and offer very reasonable prices without having to be out of sight of your pits! Best of all your food is prepared as quickly as possible by Mike Dumas and his "crew". Eat like a Champ!

Last edited by andrewdoherty; 01-18-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Any videos from the XRay challenge?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Mod Sedan A-Main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSCl...layer_embedded

Last edited by andrewdoherty; 12-11-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Will tire sauce be allowed? If so which ones?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Awesome question. I will update the info above.

Cue Dirla....
Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
There is a Mod Sedan A-Main linked in Paul's write up above.
Hmm, I can't seem to find it.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

My bad

It was in the www.rcinsider.com version, not Paul's.

This should do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSCl...layer_embedded
Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

all awesome.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Talking

All I want for Christmas this year is a VTA Exhibition class offered at the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals. Pleeeease
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's really to bad ROAR made the decision to run this race in three days. They must be planning on a low attendance or no one getting much sleep.

Some have expressed there joy in this shortened schedule but I don't see how it can be done if there's a good attendance. Which being centrally located and the apparent rise in on-road racing this should be a good year.

Ex. 25 heats for qualifying that's a little over 4 hours a around. 4 rounds in one day would be approximately 17 hours. If they decided to do 3 quals on Sat and 1 on Sunday plus the mains with triple A's your looking at ~59 rounds in one day. This would be 10 to 11 hours with time for resort and A main announcements. So much for traveling home on Sunday unless your driving.

I much rather have the extra day for qualifying and a short day on Sunday to travel home. I know ROAR can't please everyone but everyone was already expecting 4 days not 3. We're already losing 1 day of practice which really blows. Only getting to run 3 times before qualifying for some may be doable but for the most of use going to a foreign track its not enough time to make setup changes especially with Paragon being the traction compound. With most tracks and ALL national races in the US running Jack not sure why the norm was not the clear choice.

If ROAR has a better explanation for the shortened schedule please share.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
It's really to bad ROAR made the decision to run this race in three days. They must be planning on a low attendance or no one getting much sleep.

Some have expressed there joy in this shortened schedule but I don't see how it can be done if there's a good attendance. Which being centrally located and the apparent rise in on-road racing this should be a good year.

Ex. 25 heats for qualifying that's a little over 4 hours a around. 4 rounds in one day would be approximately 17 hours. If they decided to do 3 quals on Sat and 1 on Sunday plus the mains with triple A's your looking at ~59 rounds in one day. This would be 10 to 11 hours with time for resort and A main announcements. So much for traveling home on Sunday unless your driving.

I much rather have the extra day for qualifying and a short day on Sunday to travel home. I know ROAR can't please everyone but everyone was already expecting 4 days not 3.

Im not thrilled about the schedule either. But it appears most people really like the 3 day format.

With this schedule, Im not going to run more than one class, though.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

3 days?....hummm
Old 12-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo

I much rather have the extra day for qualifying and a short day on Sunday to travel home. I know ROAR can't please everyone but everyone was already expecting 4 days not 3. We're already losing 1 day of practice which really blows. Only getting to run 3 times before qualifying for some may be doable but for the most of use going to a foreign track its not enough time to make setup changes especially with Paragon being the traction compound. With most tracks and ALL national races in the US running Jack not sure why the norm was not the clear choice.

The schedule seems tight, but will probably work out ok. For the past 2-3 years most nats have not had over 120-150 entries. Even as much as people like to post on here, and say they are coming over and participating in the Nationals, most likely it won't be over 150 entries tops. At approximately 8 cars/heat that is about 20 heats total. At 10 minutes per heat (being generous), that is roughly 3 hours and 20 minutes of racing, even if it was 4 hours that would put you at 12 hours for 3 rounds of qualifying. 1 extra round of quals and the mains, would be about 10 hours for Sunday. If you can't leave Sunday, it's ok, since you are showing up a day later. It is just a matter of moving the trip over 1 day.

I am not trying to stick up for ROAR, but I will stick up for the event. Don't be so negative. If you don't like the format you are not forced to participate in the event. If you have issues, take it up with ROAR instead, might fall on better ears and will keep this thread with a more positive attitude.

I am sure that if leading up to the event, the entry count is up to 200+, they would have to re-visit this, but honestly, it is highly unlikely to get that many entries.

Jack might be the standard at other places. Paragon is the standard here. It just works better on their carpet. They've tried other stuff before and it does not work well, it would suck to be racing on crappy traction at a National.

--------------------------->

James, c'mon. The rounds are still going to be 4 hours in length. You will have plenty of time between heats to prep your other cars. If you need to find a set-up for a different class, you can always do it on the weeks/ months leading up to the Nats. The length of the event should not deter you as you will still have the same length rounds.

At the SC showdown in Sept, we had 3x ~16 hour days, but there was 250+ entries, it was not bad at all. There was more than plenty time to run 2+ classes.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

I love the three day format. With a full field of 250 ROAR might have to go to 2 minutes between heats (which should be easy) and eliminate the painfully long A-main driver introductions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.