R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three View Post
Question about legal bodies for VTA.
None are on the approved body list from ROAR (http://www.roarracing.org/?page_id=97) . This is ROAR rule 6.1.2 : Only ROAR- approved bodies may be used in sanctioned events (page 30 of rule book). Will this be a problem?
This is also true for F1 bodies.
Hey Three, here's a response from rocketron on the US Vintage Trans-Am Racing thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
Just a note to let the VTA class racers know that these rules are NOT the final version for the 2012 Carpet Nationals.

I am currently working with several different people who race this class and will have updated rules very soon - very soon. ROBK is one of those key people.

At the moment I see no reason why ROAR's rule should vary from a successful and established class.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #167
Tech Master

Thanks. Just curious.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #168
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three View Post
Thanks. Just curious.
Curiosity is good. Are you thinking about making the trip to Dallas in March for the Carpet Nationals?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #169
Tech Master

As with everything in life, it depends on the work schedule.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #170
Tech Elite

So does anybody know what carpet {g}nats really look like? And do they have a big roar?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #171
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
So does anybody know what carpet {g}nats really look like? And do they have a big roar?
Someones been using Paragon.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #172
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

carpet gnats.... lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #173
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does ROAR know we are having the Nats in March? Haven't seen or heard much of anything from them except the offroad stuff. Maybe they forgot?
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #174
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
Does ROAR know we are having the Nats in March? Haven't seen or heard much of anything from them except the offroad stuff. Maybe they forgot?
Jason, that's a good question. I clicked on the National Races Schedule and all I get is a blank page like this one...
Old 01-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #175
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

ROAR decided to adopt a 1550 weight limit for VTA so I adjusted the rules to reflect this change. In addition, FOR CARPET NATS ONLY, they have made an exception to allow independent suspensions in F1. However the car must still meet the 190 mm max width criteria. After Carpet Nats, all ROAR races will require a solid rear axle.

The warmup is about a month away. If anyone is on the fence, or just mildly interested in attending please PM me. I know lots of y'all and we might be able to find you a place to crash if costs are holding you back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
As you may already know, the upcoming R.O.A.R. Carpet Nationals will be hosted by Mike's Hobby Shop and Raceway this coming March. We are proud to have the distinct privilege of providing racers in North America with a world class facility and race experience. Below you will find current information about the race, and more will be added as soon as the information is finalized. If you find the information you're looking for is not here please feel free to contact me.

1201 N. I-35 East
Carrollton, TX
214-242-4930

www.mikeshobbyshop.com
[email protected]

Andrew Doherty
214-245-6651
[email protected]

DATES:
March 16th-18th

SCHEDULE:
Thursday
Doors open at 10 am for pit set-up.
Pre-Tech open from 6-9 pm.
Track will be closed all day.

Friday
Doors open at 7. Racing begins at 8.
2 Practice rounds. Fastest 3 consecutive laps determine your seed/heat for qualifying.
1st Qualifier

Saturday
Doors open at 7 Racing begins at 8.
2 minute/10 driver practice from 7:15 to 7:45
2nd Qualifier
Resort
3rd Qualifier
4th Qualifier

Sunday
Doors open at 7 Racing begins at 8.
2 minute/10 driver practice from 7:15 to 7:45
Mains

CLASSES:
Modified 12th
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 17.5 12th
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 13.5 WGT
Standard ROAR Rules
Jaco Spec WGT Tire

Modified Sedan
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 17.5 Sedan
Standard ROAR rules

25.5 VTA
ROAR Approved 25.5
ROAR Approved Non-Timing ESC
ROAR Legal 2s Lipo
1550 weight limit
Single 8 minute main

21.5 F1
ROAR Approved 21.5
ROAR Legal 2s Lipo
190 mm max width
Independent suspension or Solid rear axle
F1 rubber tires
Single 8 minute main

SPEC SEDAN TIRE:
We are proud to announce that Jaco will be supplying the necessary Jaco Blue pre-mounts for the sedan classes and WGT Spec tires for WGT at this race. When Paul Lemieux and Drew Ellis came to race at our Fall Classic last November the tires were found to work well in Mod Sedan. We have thoroughly tested these in practice as well as club races. We were impressed with the quality control and consistency with the tires Jaco supplied to the IIC. With Jaco supplying tires for the upcoming Snowbirds and Carpet Nationals as well, it was an easy decision.

TIRE SAUCE:
The one, the only, Black Can Paragon will be the only tire sauce permitted.

ROAR will be handling registration and race entry fees at www.roarracing.com. When the registration date, fees, etc are announced I will post them here. I expect registration will open sometime at the beginning of 2012.

HOTEL INFO:
We have an agreement with the "Courtyard by Marriot" in Leswisville. Racers can ask for the "Mike's Hobby Shop Rate" when calling 972-316-3100 or use code MH9 in the Corporate/Promotional code box online at http://www.marriot.com/dalll

TRANSPORTATION:
There are two airports nearby and both are within 20 minutes of our track. Southwest flies in to Love Field. You can also fly in to DFW airport via other carriers. Our track address is:

Mike's Hobby Shop and Raceway
1201 N. I-35 East
Carrollton, TX

FOOD:
We are fortunate to have our on-site deli, Pickles and Peppers available for service during this race. They cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner fare, and offer very reasonable prices without having to be out of sight of your pits! Best of all your food is prepared as quickly as possible by Mike Dumas and his "crew". Eat like a Champ!
Quote:
For those interested, here's what Paul Lemieux had to say about racing at our facility after our recent Fall Classic.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...6ca457078208e3

Is it Warm-Up race info you want? Here's the scoop...

In order to allow racers, local and otherwise, to prepare for the upcoming ROAR 2012 Carpet Nationals we are preparing our facility to host our warm-up race as well. This is your chance to make all the final adjustments before putting your best foot forward against North America's best drivers! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

DATES:
February 17th-19th 2012

CLASSES:
Modified 12th
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 17.5 12th
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 13.5 WGT
Standard ROAR Rules
Jaco Spec WGT Tire

Modified Sedan
Standard ROAR Rules

Blinky 17.5 Sedan
Standard ROAR rules

25.5 VTA
ROAR Approved 25.5
ROAR Legal 2s Lipo
1550 weight limit
Single 8 minute main

21.5 F1
ROAR Approved 21.5
ROAR Legal 2s Lipo
190 mm max width
Independent suspension or Solid rear axle
F1 rubber tires
Single 8 minute main

SCHEDULE:
Because this race is intended to help racers prepare for the Nationals, we decided to follow R.O.A.R.'s lead with the schedule.
Friday
Track doors open at 10 am. The track will be open for practice until 10 pm to allow out of towners to get in some laps. We may elect to provide controlled practice.

Saturday
Track doors open at 9 am. We will have a drivers meeting at 10:30 am and the first race will kick off at 11 am. We will resort after rounds 2 and 3. The track will remain open for practice after racing until 10 pm.

Sunday
The track doors will open at 9 am. The first main event will begin at 10 am. We will run the program as quickly as possible to allow those who flew in to make their flights.

Race registrations must be received by February 12th. We will have a race flyer for registration available once classes have been finalized. Please continue to check this thread for updates.

ENTRY FEES:
To encourage as many racers as possible Mike decided to hold entry fees to our club race prices.
1st Class $15
2nd+ Class $10

SPEC TIRE:
We are proud to announce that Jaco will be supplying the necessary Jaco Blue pre-mounts for the sedan classes and WGT Spec tires for WGT at this race. When Paul Lemieux and Drew Ellis came to race at our Fall Classic last November the tires were found to work well in Mod Sedan. We have thoroughly tested these in practice as well as club races. We were impressed with the quality control and consistency with the tires Jaco supplied to the IIC. With Jaco supplying tires for the upcoming Snowbirds and Carpet Nationals as well, it was an easy decision. The tires will be $28 a set and must be bought in the shop as they will be marked/tech'd for racing.

TIRE SAUCE:
The one, the only, Black Can Paragon will be the only tire sauce permitted.

HOTEL INFO:
We have an agreement with the "Courtyard by Marriot" in Leswisville. Racers can ask for the "Mike's Hobby Shop Rate" when calling 972-316-3100 or use code MH9 in the Corporate/Promotional code box online at http://www.marriot.com/dalll

TRANSPORTATION:
There are two airports nearby and both are within 20 minutes of our track. Southwest flies in to Love Field. You can also fly in to DFW airport via other carriers. Our track address is:

Mike's Hobby Shop and Raceway
1201 N. I-35 East
Carrollton, TX

FOOD:
We are fortunate to have our on-site deli, Pickles and Peppers available for service during this race. They cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner fare, and offer very reasonable prices without having to be out of sight of your pits! Best of all your food is prepared as quickly as possible by Mike Dumas and his "crew". Eat like a Champ!
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #176
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
ROAR decided to adopt a 1550 weight limit for VTA so I adjusted the rules to reflect this change. In addition, FOR CARPET NATS ONLY, they have made an exception to allow independent suspensions in F1. However the car must still meet the 190 mm max width criteria. After Carpet Nats, all ROAR races will require a solid rear axle.
They can make an exception for IRS (which will make the solid rear axle cars uncompetitive) but we can't make an exception for width so the people with F103s can run. Doesn't make sense. There's alot more F103s out there than IRS cars. Looks like I'm out of F1.

Hmmm....I think I can graft a F104 front end on to my TRF415. 190mm width...it could work!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #177
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

You can do it Scotty lol
steve eaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #178
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkpony View Post
They can make an exception for IRS (which will make the solid rear axle cars uncompetitive) but we can't make an exception for width so the people with F103s can run. Doesn't make sense. There's alot more F103s out there than IRS cars. Looks like I'm out of F1.

Hmmm....I think I can graft a F104 front end on to my TRF415. 190mm width...it could work!!!
Totally wrong. IRS will not make solid axle cars uncompetitive on high bite carpet. Maybe in a dirty parking lot but not on carpet.

As for your 103, please read this:
http://rcf1blog.blogspot.com/2011/12/f1035.html

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #179
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:

You can run an F-103 with a 104 front end, and 104 wheels.
IRS cars have no advantage on carpet, outdoors on pavement is another story.

I don't have a dog in this fight, as I don't race F1 on rubber.
But I see the UF1 drivers every week, and so far, setup, and driver skill are still the key to success.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #180
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:

I have been running an FGX at Mikes ever since October. Was a little upset that originally IRS cars would not be allowed at carpet nats. No big deal I converted my F103 to 180mm and this narrow car averages lap times that are .2 faster than the FGX. Now that the FGX is allowed I will still be racing my narrow F103. So solid axle cars are more than competitive.

Maybe if we where racing on a bumpy un-prepared parking lot the IRS car would have an advantage but we are not. We are racing on the high traction carpet of Mikes Hobby Shop!
racer robert is offline   Reply With Quote