R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #136
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
All none MOD class motors will be tech-ed as well. I'm fairly certain every motor out there today follows ROAR rules but it may be a good idea to download the Rule book from ROAR's webpage and check your motors before going to the race.
Does this mean we have to have our motors out of the car and apart for ROAR to take rotor measurements and measure the resistance of the stator/etc?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #137
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Does this mean we have to have our motors out of the car and apart for ROAR to take rotor measurements and measure the resistance of the stator/etc?
Yes, at some point on Friday it will have to be done.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com

Last edited by bkspeedo; 01-09-2012 at 10:34 PM.
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #138
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
This will be my first ROAR Race. I am planning to enter at least 2 classes, WGT and VTA, and maybe possibly squeeze in a 3rd, Formula 1.

I have a couple questions...
1. How many sets of tires can I get tech'ed for each class I enter?
2. How many Lipo batteries can I get tech'ed for each class?
3. How many bodies can I get tech'ed for each class?
4. Will the tech inspectors be more stringent on the WGT class, and less stringent on the Expo classes (ie. VTA and F1)?
When I was at the paved nats at Jackson there was no limit on batteries or bodies from what I remember. You were limited to 3 sets of tires and if you made the A you could get a 4th set. I assume they will tech all the classes equaly but I cant answer your last question for sure.

Quote:
Dont worry about the motors, if they have the same guy doing it you will be done in no time. Its the body/battery/tire inspection that takes the longest.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #139
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
yes ,you take them apart in front of the inspector and reasemble. they sticker and put a drop of loctite on a motor screw. also your only allowed 3 motors thru tech for the race in that class

suport your local hobby shop because ebays track is hard to find !!!!!!!!
Russ Jacobson
bigdadracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #140
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

what airport is everyone flying into?

l MOMO USA l OZ Racing l Willwood Brakes | Dunlop Tires |

The Raceway at Beaver: Forever In Blue Jeans
Mark506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #141
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark506 View Post
Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) or Dallas Love Field (DAL) are both only 20 minutes from the track.
racer robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #142
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer robert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark506 View Post
Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) or Dallas Love Field (DAL) are both only 20 minutes from the track.
If you are flying with Southwest Airlines, then they land at Love Field Airport which is South-East of Mike's Hobby Shop.
In the picture below A is Love Field Airport and B is Mike's Hobby Shop.

All other airlines land at DFW International Airport which is West of Mike's Hobby Shop.
In the picture below A is DFW International Airport and B is Mike's Hobby Shop.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I have always wondered if people that want to race more than one class want to do so because they want to compete twice or they want the extra track time? Would racing one class be acceptable if you got twice as much track time in your one class?

Just a quick look at the '11 LRP Master's schedule shows that their quick schedule (practice starts 1PM Friday, last main runs 4:15 Sunday) gives each driver 4 rounds of practice, 5 quali rounds, and 2 leg lower mains and 3 leg A mains.

That is quite a bit of track time in a pretty tight time frame. ROAR should look into increasing track time if they are going to run fewer classes.
More track time would be ideal. At IIC - it almost seemed like you had to run the additional class just for more track time. With Snowbirds coming, it seems like there is an equal trend to load the class entry list to have more track time.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #144
Tech Master

[QUOTE=MDawson;10144994]More track time would be ideal. At IIC - it almost seemed like you had to run the additional class just for more track time. With Snowbirds coming, it seems like there is an equal trend to load the class entry list to have more track time.

I hate sitting around for hours between rounds. That's why I run more than 1 class at big events. If we ran more and got thru the rounds quicker, I would prefer to focus on 1 class.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #145
Tech Adept

I live in Jacksonville, Florida, and I'm thinking about making a trip to Dallas, Texas in March to participate in the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals. I plan to participate in the F1 Class and the Vintage Trans Am Class. I have one question about the F1 Class. I know that ROAR is requiring rubber tires for the carpet nationals, so is there a spec tire for F1? If there is one, does Mikes Hobby Shop have some of them in stock? I need to order a set because my Tamiya F103RX only has foam tires right now.
rcsuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #146
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsuicide View Post
I live in Jacksonville, Florida, and I'm thinking about making a trip to Dallas, Texas in March to participate in the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals. I plan to participate in the F1 Class and the Vintage Trans Am Class. I have one question about the F1 Class. I know that ROAR is requiring rubber tires for the carpet nationals, so is there a spec tire for F1? If there is one, does Mikes Hobby Shop have some of them in stock? I need to order a set because my Tamiya F103RX only has foam tires right now.
The only rules related to the F1 class is max width 190mm, direct drive, straight axle, rubber tires, 21.5 motor, non-boosted or blinky esc.

The rest of the specs are probably in the ROAR rule book. As far as I know it is not a spec tire class, just needs to be F1 type rubber tires.

Looks like the F103rx is a 200mm car. I just converted my F103 15th annaversary to a 180mm car using F104 front end, wheels and body plus some misc hardware. Total cost to convert: about 60 bucks.

There is plenty of good info about rubber tires for carpet racing in the F104 pro thread on this forum.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #147
Tech Elite

In the currently posted ROAR Rule Book (2010 ed.) the only page that talks about F1 is posted below. It mentions width limit to be 8.4 inches (which = 213.36 millimeters). It also mentions foam tires only but I believe, however, that ROAR is currently making changes to these rules. By the time the Carpet Nationals get here in March, the new rules would be in effect. Hopefully we will see the new rules with enough time in advance so we can make the appropriate changes to our cars.

Last edited by wwddww34; 01-09-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #148
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsuicide View Post
Pit Shimizu Rear R1 Hards #ps572 and Fronts F3 med #ps577 are working very well. Mikes doesn't stock them at the moment, TQrcRacing.com is the only place I know of. We keep him pretty busy shipping to Texas every week.
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #149
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTC
Pit Shimizu Rear R1 Hards #ps572 and Fronts F3 med #ps577 are working very well. Mikes doesn't stock them at the moment, TQrcRacing.com is the only place I know of. We keep him pretty busy shipping to Texas every week.
What do the "R1" and "F3" numbers mean in the tire descriptions?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #150
Tech Regular

R=rear, F=front. The number is the type of compound then within each compound you may have soft medium or hard. Supposedly "1" series tires are for pavement and "3's" are for carpet.

3's all around works well at Mikes but I have found that running a "1" in the rear works much better. I tried a 1 in the front but they glaze really fast, in the rear rhey stay clean.

Right now on my F104 I am using R1hard (PS572) and F3medium (PS577) with great results.