R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

well i dont think i would be running anything faster than a 13.5 for quite a while and by that stage a new and better esc would be released. in that case i might save myself the extra cash on the rs pro and get the rs and the hotwire interface. im really up for anything, i was looking into the lrps aswell but the tekin seems to have more support with software and ive heard from many sources that it is generally faster than all the other escs. Lrp did have the best speed controll in the last generation with the sphere tc . i live in melbourne so tech support is really just what everyone else is running and has experience with they can help you. i know quite a few people and i think even the president of the club is using the tekin so if i had any issues they could help me out straight away . Which lrp speedy would you use for 13.5 boosted ? or just normal 13.5?
narcotiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcotiks View Post
Which lrp speedy would you use for 13.5 boosted ? or just normal 13.5?
The Stock Spec is the one specifically made for spec motors (17.5, 13.5, 10.5) using blinky or boost. The software is tailored for those wind motors, although some say that in blinky it doesn't matter.

On the Stock Spec for blinky you set 'boost' and 'feel' to 0 to get blinky mode. For the TC and Comp, you only have to set 'boost' to 0 for blinky, allowing you to adjust 'feel'. Can't really get anyone to explain it the same way twice, but I gather that 'feel' is basically like adjusting throttle curve with expo with some 'special current limiting software' from LRP thrown into the mix. I've played with it some in my Stock Spec, and that's what it seems like to me. Some say that because you can adjust 'feel' independant of 'boost' that the TC or Comp are the ones to have for pure blinky. I think that if you can only get one, AND you're in spec wind motors, AND you want the best software for boost as well, your money is best spent on a Stock Spec.

For boosted profiles FOR SPEC WIND MOTORS, the Stock Spec has been demonstrated to have a more agressive boost profile best suited for spec wind racing (easily on par with the Tekin in overall speeds). Many find that using the Comp or TC version with boosted spec winds to be 'soft' in overall boost and speed. Get faster than a 10.5, though, and you'll want a Comp or TC, as the software is tailored to help better manage the power and torque of the lower wind motors.

I just recently changed out a Tekin RS for a LRP Stock Spec in 17.5 blinky touring car. MUCH smoother, speed is about even between the two in blinky. Because of the feel of the LRP suiting my driving style over the Tekin, I was able to pick up 2-3 laps on our indoor carpet track.

Boosted, there is NO DOUBT that the Tekin has the advantage in tunability (being able to use that flexibility to generate speed is up to the user, requires a HotWire/laptop). LRP has the advantage in simplicity (requires only pushing buttons and counting blinks).

With Tekin 212 software and the linear 1/1 throttle curve, the Tekin feels rather soft for the first 2/3rds of throttle throw, and the last 1/3rd is like flicking a light switch. I hear rumors that 214 software is supposed to address this somewhat, as well as change out some functionality with blinky mode (requiring a HotWire/laptop to get into and out of blinky).

Hands down, Tekin has service figured out. 99% of the time for service/repair work you get a new item sent out to you. LRP is know to move at the speed of stop.

Either way, they're both top notch speedos.

At my track, competative = LRP, Tekin, or Viper. I'm pretty sure that 14 of the 17 blinky TC entries this week were Tekin.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox

Last edited by Buckaroo; 12-11-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have had my Tekin RsPro since they came out. It has been in 7 different vehicles. I like the fact that its always up to date using the hotwire. The RsPro has never gotten hot, and has ran with some very aggressive boost profiles to make up for a smaller motor in mod classes (7.5 in a mod oval Sprint car). the only thing is you can get lost with all the adjustments available to use. I havent tried the standard rs, but with the pro, I never have to worry about too much motor for the speedo. For me its Tekin all the way for top of the line esc!
ARGUS A52, RB WS7, <----------FOR SALE
I am selling my RC stuff to raise some money, not to give my rc stuff away!
notproyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Basicaly everyone is going to give you a different answer.

In blinky its all about preferance. They are all checked by Roar to be equal except in the department of throttle feel. At full throttle they all do the same thing, its everything in between that will be different.

In boosted Stock I think the Tekin has a little bit of an edge Speed wise over the LRP

In Mod the LRP I think has a little advantage over the Tekin in the Feel department.

On the straight Runing a Tekin RS boosted I am 99.999% positive my car was just a smidge faster than it is with my LRP stock spec, but my lap times are better with the LRP because for me it has a better more controllable feel in the infield, and races aren't won on the straight, there won on the infield.

I know its asking a lot of people, we've got a lot of money in these "toys" but see if you can get a couple locals to let you take a lap with there car just to get a feel for the ESC, chose the one that you like the throttle feel of best and can drive the smoothest

Oh and for what its Worth Arun is an aquaintance of mine and took 3rd in non ramping and 3rd in ramping at the Reedy Race of Champions Running the LRP. In speeking with him I dont remember if he said it was just the top three or if it was the top 5, but it was one or the other he told me in both classes were running the LRP stock spec. Or it was somthing to that effect anyway. its been a while and my mind tends to remember what I want it to remember I heard
LMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

The team is all testing out new software this weekend that provides improved feel and better braking.

Ask your local team driver what they think of the "new" feel...

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rangerjkb

+1 Overall I would recommend a Tekin, but everyone has thier own preferences.
rangerjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for your help everyone !!
Does the rs work/ preform best with the redine motors?

How do the viper escs compare with the tekin?
narcotiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

"Pass" on the Tekin motor. For the same money spent, just about anything else is prefered.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:

My 2 season old + redline 13.5 is still giving good laptimes where I race.

Has more than enough power to keep up with any other motor...

Like an ESC, everyone has a prefered brand!

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Once i get money im buy orion!
For_the_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

First speedo in 8 years is LRP Stock/Spec. The last I had was an novak GT4 or something which I liked. I run mod (4.5T) right now and it's super smooth and simple to use. I have it set at blinky and I have no complaints. As far as stock is concerned I have not tried it yet but I'm sure it will work fine...

In mod I noticed that Mike B. Actually ran a 3.5 with it so the minimum is obviously lower than 4T at least for 12th

I'm not sure what software it has in it since I don't have a software device for it yet

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 12-13-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
Tech Adept

LRP Flow works team! Or LRP sxx tc spec v2!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Lrp flow works team
Attached Thumbnails
Best Esc on the market?-20131020_132751.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutledge83 View Post
LRP Flow works team! Or LRP sxx tc spec v2!
LRP huh? Do they still catch on fire?
This thread is kind of funny. How times change.
Sean B. is offline   Reply With Quote