R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Wet weather tyres (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/576201-wet-weather-tyres.html)

1101 12-09-2011 03:49 PM

Wet weather tyres

Hi there.
what are good options for wet weather tyres ??
damp, wet low grip ashfelt.

Just use 20R Sorex, or do treaded tyres make any difference??
Cheers

Skiddins 12-09-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1101 (Post 10017436)
Hi there.
what are good options for wet weather tyres ??
damp, wet low grip ashfelt.

Just use 20R Sorex, or do treaded tyres make any difference??
Cheers

A MASSIVE difference;

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Produc...ts/XG-WET.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/images/XG-WET_w.jpg

InspGadgt 12-09-2011 06:04 PM

In all the rain racing I have done...having a tread pattern seemed to make no difference or even be worse depending on compound...the key issue is having the right compound. Once the track has enough water on it you will have more grip than you did in the drive...even with the same compound.

frozenpod 12-09-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by InspGadgt (Post 10017893)
In all the rain racing I have done...having a tread pattern seemed to make no difference or even be worse depending on compound...the key issue is having the right compound. Once the track has enough water on it you will have more grip than you did in the drive...even with the same compound.

That doesn't make any logical sense.

The shimizu groved tyres are from my experience the best wet weather tyre but if the track drys up they will be stuffed so if a dry line appears start to stay on the damp sections.

InspGadgt 12-09-2011 10:33 PM

I know it doesn't sound like it makes logical sense...but that is what we noticed in my local F1 club for over 13 years along with our multi class endurance race we used to run. It is really interesting but when the track gets very wet and you bring your car in the tires feel much stickier than they did in the dry. The problem is in that damp in-between time when the track is only lightly wet...at that point pretty much nothing grips. I think it has to do with the fact that while the cars are scaled down from real ones...the fluid dynamics are not...the size of the air molecules and water molecules are still full sized.

frozenpod 12-09-2011 11:11 PM

Well with groved tyres my touring car always had noticeably more grip and produced faster lap times.

olly986 12-10-2011 02:56 AM

PIT Shimizu in 21mm are better than 24mm (less contact and better water escape from the grooves)

The top in wet tyres are Kisslings, you can run these in heavy rain (not recommended in electric class thought) in IC with everything in balloons, it was near as good as dry tyres. But very expensive.

Then you have the VTEC radial D 20, I have some but never got to try them yet.

In foam, the AQUA tyres are good but very very soft, so wet only or you will see them "melt" on front of your eyes :)

MatsNorway 12-10-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by InspGadgt (Post 10018614)
I know it doesn't sound like it makes logical sense...but that is what we noticed in my local F1 club for over 13 years along with our multi class endurance race we used to run. It is really interesting but when the track gets very wet and you bring your car in the tires feel much stickier than they did in the dry. The problem is in that damp in-between time when the track is only lightly wet...at that point pretty much nothing grips. I think it has to do with the fact that while the cars are scaled down from real ones...the fluid dynamics are not...the size of the air molecules and water molecules are still full sized.

Sounds like someone needs to make rain tires to F1. with ultra soft rubber like the touring wheels mentioned above.

Skiddins 12-10-2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by InspGadgt (Post 10018614)

Originally Posted by frozenpod (Post 10018673)
Well with groved tyres my touring car always had noticeably more grip and produced faster lap times.

Frozenpod is correct. You will get faster lap times with wets, when it's wet.
There is some truth to the fact that slicks can work quite well once there is a lot of water and that the 'damp' stages are the worst. But I would still get a set of those Schumacher wets. The Vtec versions that Nosram/LRP made had a crap insert.

If you look at some of the races in the follwoing two BRCA rounds, you'll see all the conditions discribed;

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

1101 12-10-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by olly986 (Post 10018921)
PIT Shimizu in 21mm are better than 24mm

are 21mm or 22mm rims still available?? . Ive been looking for some 22mm rims for a while.
Are the HPI traded tyres OK?? I have a set of those, and a set of the Shimizu D01J (slightly worn) so I have a few tyres to try next time.

Whats the prep needed to keep water out of the electrics & more importantly how do I keep water out of the lipo ??

After race , whats the best way to get the water out of everything. Will it need a strip down, or just leave the car in a warm room to dry out.
How do you keep the transmitter dry ??

cheers

Pedro 51 12-10-2011 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1101 (Post 10020568)
Are the HPI traded tyres OK??

Probably not, it is not only the tread pattern but the compound as well.

Whats the prep needed to keep water out of the electrics
I always used either a sealed box, or a rain tray which encloses the chassis

more importantly how do I keep water out of the lipo ??
unless you have damaged you case and your lipo is rubbish it is already sealed.

After race , whats the best way to get the water out of everything.
I took the car home and stored it in a dry place

How do you keep the transmitter dry ??
use a transmitter muff. - like a padded sack, easier now without that aerial poking out the top.

Peter

olly986 12-11-2011 03:39 AM

I have seen some 21mm rims (with offset) lately on some UK based shop online, but I cannot remember if it is Apex, Demon or other.

Usually the guys selling 21mm tyres carry some wheels, pick the right insert too, not too hard but not too soft like a foam for exemple.

I cannot remember what I have inside mine thought, I have those tyres for a good while now and since moving to the south of France I do not use them as much:D

I have a set of 24mm I can sale if someone is interested.

Radio Active 08-05-2012 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by olly986 (Post 10018921)
In foam, the AQUA tyres are good but very very soft, so wet only or you will see them "melt" on front of your eyes :)

Does anyone know where I can find this tyre for the rear of a 12th scale?