R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-11-2005, 02:08 AM   #91
Tech Master

I'm 59 and I still get a kick out of RC racing.

I don't have the eye sight of a 21 year old, or the reflexes of a 16 year old. I take an age to climb the steps to the rostrum, and I have such bad arthritis that I can't bend down to pick up the car, but I still get lots of fun out of it, and ocasionally I even beat some of the youngsters.

Any more pensioners racing RC ?
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:39 AM   #92
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

If I had to race today I couldn't.... Due to age and injuries we don't work as well as we did.... I have no feeling in my right arm and can't turn my head... Be careful out there in the real world, it can come back to bite you....
Old 08-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #93
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

[Be careful out there in the real world, it can come back to bite you....[/QUOTE]
True so very true..howard are you sure..as they say It's not the YEAR of the "car" but the miles on the "car"..
Old 08-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #94
Tech Master

That can be interpreted wrongly on several levels
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:31 PM   #95
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko
I think there are many factors involved with age vs competitiveness.

Partly its a mind game, being able to figuritively "stare down" or say you can beat the competition, that might be 1/2 of your age. Also if you can keep your hand in something to keep your reflexes up, mine is video games. I also think the longer you do it the easier it gets, especially if you are serious on the Tech side of racing.

My prime example for age and success in RC racing is Ed Hughey. Ed is 70 years old. He started in control line planes, moved to nitro boats and currently runs Fast Electric boats. He builds his own boats, hardware and uses a old Citizen stick radio (circa 1969). Using 05 motors he can beat about anybody. The current trend is brushless motors and he is everybit as fast as those guys. He can still hit his marks like a pro if he needs too.

I would imagine if he ever raced cars, he would be incredible and still be racing at big races. Here is a picture of him http://www.bataviarc.com/03pastwinners.html.

So if you are thinking your old, been in the hobby too long, thinking you should retire. Look at Ed 70, still going strong and even participated 2 years ago in the Senor Olympics.

When ever I compete with him I have to play the mental game to try and beat someone twice my age. Which is kind of funny, usually its the other way around.

Jeff
That link doesn't work... very interesting thread nontheless -JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 08-11-2005 at 04:42 PM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #96
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This Jan. will mark my 3rd year in R/C racing. I will turn 53 in March. Yes I wear glass's (old age creeping in FAST)!!!!! My daughter is 17 and started rc racing first. She was having so much fun my wife and I started too. I will race my first nats (and probably my only) this year in Oct. In Feb. I will race my first snowbirds. Last year both my wife and kid ran the birds, and I worked. This year my vacatation time will go to racing. Can I beat any of the fast kids at our track NO!!!! But I sure do have fun!!!!
tmunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #97
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkat
[Be careful out there in the real world, it can come back to bite you....
True so very true..howard are you sure..as they say It's not the YEAR of the "car" but the miles on the "car".. [/QUOTE]

Years of racing dirtbikes, real cars and then a bad car accident at work can make you seem like an edsel after a demolition derby.... I have the arthritis of an 80 year old and I'm not even half way there yet...
Old 08-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #98
Tech Lord

I do know that as you get older it hurts more and more..just to get out of bed.. I was a pro skater(in the 80's..yes i'm old)played hockey for 15+ years..take care,you might make it..
Old 08-11-2005, 09:21 PM   #99
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I have been ponderng for quite some time what my level of commitment in this sport should be. And how seriousely do i really need to be anymore. There was a time when I thought with enough diligence and practice I could be an A-main big race contender.

Now-I am not saying that I still cannot be, but my life has changed drastically from only 3-years ago. The commitments to my time outside of work are no longer so simple. I am now a dad and a very commited and happy dad with an awesome child!!

So it seems pretty easy-devote to child til shes a little older-then back to RC cars in a few years. Well-of course its not so simple. Theres my desire to race. I have been involved in motorsports or some form of racing my whole life. Its something I cannot live without so I cannot quit cold turkey.

But as long as I stay in-I have the desire of any 20 year old (maybe more-yes way more) to succed-be the best, but I dont have the time. What a dilemma.

Well-I dont have the innate talent either. Its been crystal clear to me for some time that I will never be a Cyrul or a Hara.

So-where does this leave me? Too old and too late to be the next Jeff Cuffs, but (sorry if this sounds arrogant) too good to just quit.

My options are of course Masters competition at the big races that offer it-or use what level of talent I have and always make sure Fun is #1 on every race days list.

NOw-what does fun equate to? Trying to beat all the fast guys in stock? Run full modified and have a blast? Or is fun nt part of the equation-per se and I keep trying to widdle away at the Mains till E-mains become C's and B's someday become A's.

Tis is my take on age vs competitiveness. I admit to being a bit confused these days.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #100
Tech Master

It's nice to see that I'm not the only old geezer that plays with toy cars !

It's also consoling to see that all the other oldies have the same problems - eye sight, or should i say the lack of it, reflexes, arthritis, and I've had a few heart bypasses along the way too. But I still get alot of fun out of it.

And yes, I raced the real ones for many years, until my doctor warned me that with my heart condition I would not only be endangering myself, but others too.

So thank goodness for RC. It's been a great substitute.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #101
Tech Lord

I'm sorta in the same boat as Ray is,My take on it now days is more for the "fun" of it than win at all costs..
Old 03-20-2006, 06:35 PM   #102
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

bringing this up from the basement.

I have a new theory as spoken to me by maybe Chicky or someone!!

A big part of how competitive you are as an "older racer" is how fast you were when you were a younger racer!!

if your like me and started racing at 34 and werent that good to boot, its way tougher when your 40 with loads of other commitments. But if you were fast when you were 25 or 30 and are still racing when your 50-well your probably not as fast as you were-but your still darn fast!!!

I hope this thread hasnot gone past its buy date as well, but I thought this was an interesting perspective.

I never thought I would be sayng this about myself since I really just got started in RC cars, but the older I get-the faster I was!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:39 PM   #103
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm 47 and have been racing for about 12 years.

Age and vision - I am much more sensitive to marginal indoor lighting. Just can't see as well as I used to.

Even so, a bad day racing is better than a good day of work!
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:02 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic

I've been in and out of this hobby since '76. I'm got back into it again and enjoy more now mainly because it's more fun now and not a win at all cost attitude. I am a better racer now probably because I react slower but I do kiss the wall less now. As some of us find out, rc racing becomes a hobby and not a sport. And hobbies are things that you enjoy doing.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:40 AM   #105
Tech Champion

A very interesting read!

I would say that there isnt a set age to where things go downhill in your racing,we are individuals who have their own age/time where the eyesight and co-ordination/enthusiasm drops off.

I started racing when I was about 15/16 and when I was about 20 I took about 2 years out when I was more interested in other things (clubs,pubs and women mostly )

But when I came back into racing I realised what I had missed. I never forgot most of what I learnt but it took me a while to remember it.

At 26 now I feel that i'm doing well as I can with the time and equipment I have.

Being married and having a 9 month old son meens I cant just go out and spend a lot on equipment,so I use what I have to its best,but focus on the weak links- I know I need a new stock motor,cells and charger (at least) as my current stuff is years old,but when I do well with what I have it makes me think about what I could have done with better,so I use these thoughts as a positive "push" to my desire to do even better next time

Sure,it feels great to own new equipment and get the gains out of it when they are there,but sometimes its cheaper and just as effective to improve what you already have.

When im able to,I use the money I have without being ott and I usually see benefits after reseaching what I need and what suits me best. (I use 4/5 year old 2000s in qualifying sometimes,im sure they are well abused by now,constantly getting a 5.5amp charge,it wont be long before they vent!)

Desire is a very strong thing and my wife taught me something very important.

" If you want something so much in life you'll go out and get it-strong desire will oversee all difficulties in life".

I feel that i'm a very focused person,and look at every aspect to make my racing faster and better in general. Dont let the bad times cloud your vision.

Sounds simple enough I know,but if youre lacking the interest in something YOU are the person that needs change your attitude,and only YOU can do that.

I have already got my son a toy radio controlled car to watch move around,it's very premature I know and Im not expecting him to like rc in any form when he's older,but if he sees something he likes at a young age then who knows- he might be able to take up the hobby much earlier in life and benefit from experience and watching them a younger age.

I'll keep racing all the time my desire and health are good,until I loose either or both i'm going nowhere. My talents have been realised by others and im looking forward to getting some assistance from them. Its a real positive buzz for me,things can only get better from here

Enjoy what you do but dont let it overtake your vision,stay focused and consistant on the track.

Im a bit of a "chance" racer,it'll sometimes look for overtaking where I can't. Sometimes it pays off,sometimes it doesnt. When it doenst it teaches me to be a bit more patient next time. Ive raced the same car for at least 3 years so I know its limits.

If I change to a new car i'll have to learn its setups and limits from scratch. And im not sure I have the time to do that. more importantly I dont have the money either

One last thing is dont believe in perfection-it doesnt exist. Just focus on getting your good points even better and focus even harder on your weak points
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote