R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-21-2004, 06:30 PM   #76
Tech Adept

i believe that most of us over 30 don't want to admit that some kids can take up racing (within a 2-5 year period and be able to compete with us) but it does happen.

for my years of experiance (15yrs / off and on) , i think of my self as fast, but kids with 3-5 years experiance are competitive with me, so age does play a differance. they learn quickly and get fast within a short period of time, and all we have hold them back is a little experiance, with is overcome in a few years... so know i see myself as semi-retired, enjoying the race more than the victory...

masters class is great, but in factory class - its another story (being competive in the masters ie wild cherry, doesn't measure up to factory drivers...
sorry george, miss ya / good ol days.. rovic
rovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:44 AM   #77
Tech Master

Rovic. Greetings from Malta.

If you're feeling it already, and you're only in your 30s, just imagine how we guys nearing our pension feel. We're installing a zimmer frame lift up to the drivers stand!

That's probably what's so good about this hobby.

A 15 year old kid a couple of weeks ago was pleased as punch because he beat me. I patiently explained to him that whilst I get alot of fun playing RC, my age, eye sight, reflexes, and a whole load more excuses I gave, prevent me from being as competitive as I would like to be.

He told me I was making excuses - which of course I was.

I asked him how old his dad was, and the answer was 50 - to my 58. I then suggested that if age didn't matter, why didn't he bring his dad along to race too, and see if his dad would beat him - or for that matter if he would beat me.

Actually, I'm pleased to say that we have a couple of kids at our club, with real potential, and it's really nice to be able to help them.........even when they end up thrashing me.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:16 AM   #78
tornado

I remember the days when I was a teenager practicising really hard everyday to beat those "big" boys.....well...... beat them I did and now...20 years down the line.........looks like I'm the target of a few new kid on the block !! ........... "one day I'm gonna beat you Uncle Bryan......".......well I'm sure they'll beat me in no time but ....hey!! I've been having soooo much fun for over 20 years now and still improving and so what the kids thrashed me....... I had my days before and now its the younger generation's turn.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:34 AM   #79
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by TimXLB
Cole Trickle:

Hi,

get you son out there and get him running something even if it's just around your driveway. I wish I would of started my son earlier.
Actually, we're working on this. But the most important to me, is that he sholdn't be forced into it - it sholud be when HE feels he want to, not when I want him to... This will probably happen at some point. But if it dont happen, well... it simply dont happen.

Also, it doens matter if he starts when he's 6 or he's 10 or....

Anyway, he had been with me at the track. He have my pensioned HPI Sport2 ready for run. A year ago, it simply was too hard for him. This autum, he raced on our driveway - big succes. I was thinking of getting a off road car for him, to play around with (like the Tamiya Gravel Dog), but I dont want to put too many money into it, if he give up a month later.

We do have a practical problem - my TX is the KO Presto, and it's too big for his hands, he cant brake or reverse... I'm considering the Hitec Agressor, wich have a smaller grip... but again, if he give up a month later...

So we'll take our time. I'm definately not aiming for making a new world champion, it's just for fun. So if he improves with our current stuff, and he show up to be interested for a longer period, I'll put some more money into it. I just dont believe that a 6 year old kid, is ready for long time hobbies - they are more chopping around, to try a lot of stuff. Maybe a Tyco something is the solution...
Old 12-22-2004, 04:59 AM   #80
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Rovic. Greetings from Malta.

If you're feeling it already, and you're only in your 30s, just imagine how we guys nearing our pension feel. We're installing a zimmer frame lift up to the drivers stand!

That's probably what's so good about this hobby.

A 15 year old kid a couple of weeks ago was pleased as punch because he beat me. I patiently explained to him that whilst I get alot of fun playing RC, my age, eye sight, reflexes, and a whole load more excuses I gave, prevent me from being as competitive as I would like to be.

He told me I was making excuses - which of course I was.

I asked him how old his dad was, and the answer was 50 - to my 58. I then suggested that if age didn't matter, why didn't he bring his dad along to race too, and see if his dad would beat him - or for that matter if he would beat me.

Actually, I'm pleased to say that we have a couple of kids at our club, with real potential, and it's really nice to be able to help them.........even when they end up thrashing me.
good on you john !!! at 58 and still playing means super good...... don't know if i can do that

btw..... in my circuit, one of the champ is 50+ yrs old guy !!!
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:15 AM   #81
Tech Adept

I'm 53 and have raced on and off since 1985. Besides the usual vision problems, especially depth perception at long range, I know my reactions are a tad slower. I've almost given up racing off-road (my first love) because I can't adjust to the changing track conditions as well, if I hit the rut that I couldn't see in the first place I have trouble adjusting. I'm just not as competitive in off-road anymore ... but onroad, where the track and traction are fairly consistent, I can find my groove and stay with it (well, mostly, lol!).

One other problem with getting older is the inevitable reliance on drugs to keep the old body going. Blood pressure meds, cholesteral meds, over the counter pain meds ... stuff that you need just to feel quasi-normal. Then there's other health stuff, I have problems with the vertabral disks in my neck going south on me, had to have one replaced about 10 years ago and that really impacted my driving - the nerve bundle that comes out of my neck and goes down my left arm and controls my throttle finger never has been as good as before the injury/surgery. Maturity and set up are better as far as racing, but vision and brain/hand/eye coordination is worse. Does that stop me racing? No! This sport is just too much fun ... the hardest part has been accepting that I'm not as likely to be #1 as I used to be.

-John
Luckyman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:33 AM   #82
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Interesting to see all the vision comments. I've always worn glasses, so I guess that doesn't both me. What I've notice is I have a hard time in traffic any more. Not neccessarily racing close with another car, but looking ahead for a slower car or maybe a wreck. Seem like a couple times each race day I'll dive into a corner and there will be a car spun out and it's too late to react. Is that just me or has someone noticed that too?
take care
john
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:32 AM   #83
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnB
Seem like a couple times each race day I'll dive into a corner and there will be a car spun out and it's too late to react. Is that just me or has someone noticed that too?
take care
john
No John. It's not just you. It's our reactions. I bumped a poor fellow up the back last Sunday and only actually realised it after I'd hit him. Just slow reflexes.

LUCKYMAN. Console yourself. You're not the only one. I have the same tablets each day, plus a few - for the same reasons. I've had heart problems for the last 12 years. That's what made me give up racing real cars and start playing RC. Four heart intervensions, including a 5 way bypass later, I'm still just as daft, and thoroughly enjoying it.

And when we get a successful Sunday like last Sunday was, then there's no stopping me.

Just think. In 3 years time I get my pension. Then I will be able to play all day.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:25 PM   #84
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm 48 and I dont yet( )suffer from slow reactions,but I do play alot of video games(2 to 3 hrs. a day)all racing games.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:00 PM   #85
Tech Regular

Age isn't anything anymore to me now, i eventually got into my first competitive 'a' final on sunday , beat lots of people who were older than me (i'm 13) and finished 7th overall out of 60/70 stockracers some of them were team drivers , i feel like i can take on the world

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #86
Tech Rookie

I am now 21 going on 22 soon and i have been into rc on and off for 15 years. 13 of those racing at track level competition placing A and B mains in stock and modified on and off road buggy truck sedan pan car you name it....

I've noticed that the 13-20 year olds would place high, the 20-30 year olds would place lower in the mains and the older 40+ really fat guys with time and money would always smoke everyone.... fun stuff

cant wait to start really racing again
phillipguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:41 AM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkat
I'm 48 and I dont yet( )suffer from slow reactions,but I do play alot of video games(2 to 3 hrs. a day)all racing games.
DAMN bro! your a older BUZZARD then me !!!!!

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:21 PM   #88
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard hudson
DAMN bro! your a older BUZZARD then me !!!!!
howie.. i thought there's only two things older than you... god and dirt?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:34 PM   #89
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ThePrfctGetaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
howie.. i thought there's only two things older than you... god and dirt?
hahahhahahhah

I'm only 16 years old and I must say, I'm a HELL of a lot better than when I first started. And that was just after one season. But I think the reason I got better was because I met a great group of local racers who helped/help me out when I'm stuck on something or am missing on something. Without their assistance/advice, I wouldn't be as decent on a track as I am now. I'd be wall-riding every corner still. I don't think age means anything with RC. I've seen an older man (in his late 40's, early 50's) hang with the best of the younger crowd. Just goes to show you, you're never too young to do anything... Happy racing everyone!

Rich
ThePrfctGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #90
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im still a young'un, coming up to 20, but when i was younger i used to get fustrated when i made a mistake and push harder and then make more errors and tried passes which were a little well.... tricky... Now i hang back a bit before i make my pass and think about the next few corners and where im going to make my move and keep a cool head under pressure. Driving around with some friends is good as you can practice putting each other under pressure and driving defense/offensivly and if someone takes someone else out just wait for them and then drive a few more laps.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote