R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-16-2004, 02:53 PM   #31
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

isn't the european 4wd offroad champ 13 or 14 or something?
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:18 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Wild Cherry
I`m a master r/c racer ....

The first problem you incounter with age usually is your vision.

The eyes seem to start to go at about 45, no longer can you see every rutt & bump....

To help myself I went to the O eyedoctor & discuss ways to improve my presciption for better vision....

You would be surprise to learn how many doctor`s out there are mostly concern with the way your glass`s look compare to how they perform ..
Many , will prescribe a lens thats thinner for better looks & comfort..

Only this will cause you problems (Fish bowl effects) also other distortsions, like depth perception, ect......

Tell the doctor what your needs are as a racer so he can fit your prescription to serve your racing requirements and not for just your good looks....

If your Doc is good, he can roll back 5 or more years !

You have to try this ....It really helps....

I agree about vision, Cleveland was a real problem for me, dark room and big track. I am older than dirt and wear glasses.

What did your doctor suggest for you?

Ted
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

Well, Top 2 in the biggest indoor swedish cup is 15 year old. i'm in second spot.. First looser :P So i don't really think age is a big factor, lots of "under-18's" in the top 10-20 too.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

The way I see it is, the younger you are the better your reaction time is. The older you are, the better the setup your car has and with most of the experienced racers helping out the new people the combination of a car setup really well and better reaction times the more you see younger guys/gals going faster.

Just my 2 cents.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:33 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JBennett
I'm 13 and I race people nowhere near my age and I beat them.

Age doesn't really matter, just your knowledge and experience on the hobby.
JASON !!! Wait till Ralph see's this post boy! LOL

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #36
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JBennett

Quote:
Originally posted by POOKYT
JASON !!! Wait till Ralph see's this post boy! LOL

Brant

Well... I was mostly talking about the racing at Henderson
JBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:36 PM   #37
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

people keep saying age doesnt matter, and its true. granted im only 16 and been racing for about 3 or so years, but recently ive been running some hardcore stk foam getting ready for novak for my first year of national level stock foam, and my buddy the cleveland stk foam champ that races at the same track as i was doing really fast laps, and im usually not as fast as him as my driving line isnt as dialed in as his is, but for the first time in a while i was able to clock off some fast laps of the night for me. i was happy since i know i can drive fast like the big boys of the hobby i say all u need is a good setup and alot of tracktime and then when u have the driving down you only get faster and thats the best part when u can make the a-main at a club race and win, that right there is the best feeling ever, so its not a national title but for a club racer that its at the national level yet, that win sure feels like one

lazy
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:37 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The good part about getter older as a racer is that you generally have more time to concentrate on setup and the optimum racing line. You get better at researching what works and what doesn't, and lots of us have been around long enough that we have practical 'full scale' racing experience in cars or bikes. We tend to have more patience and let the race come to us when we don't have the power to dominate. So the old adage about age and guile beating youth and enthusiasm can keep you fairly competitive well into your fifties (and I speak from experience there). Last year I medaled in five of the ten TCS classes I entered and finished eighth overall in Mini at the TCS Nats. Not bad for an old guy!

The bad part is that you can't see well enough to hit the apex that you know is out (bang!)...there (bang!)...somewhere (bang!). And you have to pee a lot more. And your joints creak when you climb onto the drivers' stand or jump out to marshall a car. The morning comes far too early when you've been out late 'celebrating' with your friends.

Friends- that's the best part, no matter how old you are.

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Tres
Just look at the Master's from Cleveland

STOCK TOURING - A Main results Provided by NashrCracer.com
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 24 5:10.26 STEPHEN SOBOTTKA

-- MASTERS TOURING - A Main results Provided by NashrCracer.com
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 23 5:04.88 ELI EZROW

-- 1/12 STOCK - A Main results Provided by NashrCracer.com
Pos Car Laps time name
1 3 38 8:09.04 MARK SMYKA

-- 1/12 MASTERS - A Main results Provided by NashrCracer.com
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 38 8:07.55 ELI EZROW

Yes, Eli can lay it down...
But so can A LOT of others in Masters class...
Hey Smyka is like 30 years old
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:48 PM   #40
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smyka

thanks dave for letting everone know i am old haha. but i had to let eli's time beat mine this way he didnt feel bad that he got whooped by a kid but for real i know the masters time in 1/12 has out qulified the stock 1/12 time at the nat the last three or four year
smyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #41
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Flack
I agree about vision, Cleveland was a real problem for me, dark room and big track. I am older than dirt and wear glasses.

What did your doctor suggest for you?

Ted

Basically It all about looks....

Almost every person out there has glass`s that look better than they perform.

Having a big thin len , invisable bi-focals, buff edges on the len, ect.

There`s many ways to make glass`s look good on you ,but with a price in there performance....

Thats why you have to make it very clear to describe to the Doc that you are racing these car on a large open track, ect....

Make clear you need sharp vision for good depth perception....
Make it clear your looking for outstanding vision with no concerns how these glass`s appearance are going to look on you....

For me he made the len slightly smaller in size & increase the thickness quite abit. Sure they weight a bit more & don`t look so sweet , but Dang ! I could see bumps again!!

That fish bowl effect was cut way down, with a big improvement in depth per.
That glare you get on the edges on the lens from the fluorescent lights>>>> gone....

The light is a big deal for someone who is older..
Its like almost impossible for someone in his 50`s to compete on even terms against someone younger....
Only thing thats works for that is improve lighting... Sorry....

Go tell um , you will get a set of glass`s that will enable to pick up your lap times a lot !

Worth more than a pack made of 1.19 V cells...

Hope this helps....

Wild (Geo)
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:24 PM   #42
Tech Adept

I didn't start racing until I was 50!

It has taken a few years to get up to speed. I am now competitive at local club level.

With age comes financial resources. It doesn't hurt to have good gear. It helps to paint your bodies or at least the corners really bright colours, to make it easier to see what the car is doing.

It suddenly clicked for me earlier this year. The light coming on co-incided with some major set up changes so i'm guessing that is pretty important too.

I also go to race at as many tracks as I can, and find I learn something new at each new layout.

Most of all I really enjoy racing and the technology of a top level touring car.

Oh yeah one last thing I've noticed, I get more nervous on the drivers stand than I did 30 years ago, racing motorcycles.

Never forget we do it for the enjoyment.

Cheers
Peter
Pedro 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:15 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to AdR|aN

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedro 51

Oh yeah one last thing I've noticed, I get more nervous on the drivers stand than I did 30 years ago, racing motorcycles.
Its called Parkinson desease.
Just joking.
Almost everyone i know really get nervous when its time for the final.
Heats usually is taken a bit less serious but when the final comes ... every part of the body would start shaking ....
So other then that, please ... age makes no difference. End of the day, enjoying RC is more important then how old the fast guy is.
AdR|aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:04 AM   #44
Tech Master

Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

I've just read through these interesting 2 pages and thought that perhaps my views as a young 58 year old may be of interest.

To all these youngsters who say age doesn't matter I say one thing. How do they know ?

The only thing age doesn't matter in is attitude.

I started racing RC after doctor's orders to stop racing real cars, following multiple heart problems and surgery. I enjoy every bit of it, and I admit that where building, preparing, and setting up are concerned, I am at an advantage thanks to my previous racing experience.

But believe me, age does indeed make a difference. The difference is mainly in the eyesight, reflexes and eye to hand co-ordination. I prepare my own car, that of my 21 year old son, and some other racers cars. My car and that of my son should be identical in performance. If anything mine should be better since I spend more time at the track than he does. Yet despite his lack of practice, he is always at least a second a lap quicker than I am, and makes far less unforced errors than I do.

It amuses me when some "kid" comes up to me after a race, really pleased with himself because he beat me. My normal reply is to ask him how old his Dad is and how well he thinks he would fare if he were on the rostrum trying to race RC.

Perhaps some of these kids, when they get to my age, if they get there, will think back to themselves and say, "WOW, John Bull used to race RC cars at my age, and look at me, sitting here in front of the telly doing nothing all day because I am incapable of doing anything.

I get my pension in 3 years time and will celebrate that by buying myself a new RC car.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:08 AM   #45
Tech Addict

As newbies, they have instant access to knowledge that we could only have dreamed about when I started back in the 80's. They are able to use the internet to find the best product for the job and then able to ask people all over the world for their opinions/tips etc.

Someone can buy a kit, set it up with top quality stuff and have the car dialed using info off the net. Then it's just getting used to whats happening when you drive it and you'll start getting faster from there...

I just wonder if the young guys starting off now are not having to "unlearn" old habits that some of us might have and that speeds up the process.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote