R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #16
tornado

I believe age is not a factor in ones ability to improve in RC......the only difference is the pace.....but then......it all depends on individual ability....some have it and some don't.

I've just revived my RC hobby early this year after a 10 years break and I must say it was very difficult......but after 'bout 6 mths down the line...... I'm back I was 10 years ago and better too !!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:20 PM   #17
Tech Addict

i guess age does matter. if you start out really young, you will have better chances of retaining what you learn....just like language, there are certain advantages when you learn at a very young age since it becomes part of you. this however, can still be overcome with a lot of patience and discipline on people who start out on racing later. just look at the top athletes in the wolrd and you will see that most of them started really young.
cooliomojo-CEBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:22 PM   #18
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth Tan
If I am not mistaken, the kid is Nicholas Lee from Singapore. He should be around 13-14. He won B Main 1st in Reedy Race Thailand.
Hi Kenneth !!

Yeah ! that Nicholas. He is tearing up the tracks here in Kuala Lumpur too. Great skills !!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:34 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That picture posted was taken by me in Bangkok. I know that's Nicholas. But I am just not sure if the young kid in SoCal that Randy referred to was him.
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:41 PM   #20
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth Tan
That picture posted was taken by me in Bangkok. I know that's Nicholas. But I am just not sure if the young kid in SoCal that Randy referred to was him.
Did Nicholas dyed his hair blonde lately ??
Old 12-15-2004, 09:47 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

I think there are many factors involved with age vs competitiveness.

Partly its a mind game, being able to figuritively "stare down" or say you can beat the competition, that might be 1/2 of your age. Also if you can keep your hand in something to keep your reflexes up, mine is video games. I also think the longer you do it the easier it gets, especially if you are serious on the Tech side of racing.

My prime example for age and success in RC racing is Ed Hughey. Ed is 70 years old. He started in control line planes, moved to nitro boats and currently runs Fast Electric boats. He builds his own boats, hardware and uses a old Citizen stick radio (circa 1969). Using 05 motors he can beat about anybody. The current trend is brushless motors and he is everybit as fast as those guys. He can still hit his marks like a pro if he needs too.

I would imagine if he ever raced cars, he would be incredible and still be racing at big races. Here is a picture of him http://www.bataviarc.com/03pastwinners.html.

So if you are thinking your old, been in the hobby too long, thinking you should retire. Look at Ed 70, still going strong and even participated 2 years ago in the Senor Olympics.

When ever I compete with him I have to play the mental game to try and beat someone twice my age. Which is kind of funny, usually its the other way around.

Jeff
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

I am 14 and my brother is 12. He is a weee bit better than me, and we race on/offroad. We both have TC3's, and Savages. He is #4 In points at our local track, Drives good, Knows when to pull over for the faster guys and Is Mature for his age. I do good too, but started later in the season.

I dont think age has ANYTHING to do with it. I think its all about practice, and what you have in your noodle. Just because your 100 yrs old, it donst meen that you can know nothing about rc, and us young guys are often taken for retards, and prove people wrong.

Also, We make friends with everyone at our track, and helo out setting up and everything.

I mean, its usually the people who raced the longest that are the best. They have the most experience and knowledge.
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:54 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Like a few guy's have already said...it's all in how you feel. The only thing I ever feel I have to be careful about is getting too excited after a win ..... my dentures keep flying out !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
Like a few guy's have already said...it's all in how you feel. The only thing I ever feel I have to be careful about is getting too excited after a win ..... my dentures keep flying out !!
You really need to secure those dentures with o-rings or glasstape.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:19 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Nah....I'm a bonified rc racer....I use Shoo-Goo !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:53 AM   #26
Tech Legend

I`m a master r/c racer ....

The first problem you incounter with age usually is your vision.

The eyes seem to start to go at about 45, no longer can you see every rutt & bump....

To help myself I went to the O eyedoctor & discuss ways to improve my presciption for better vision....

You would be surprise to learn how many doctor`s out there are mostly concern with the way your glass`s look compare to how they perform ..
Many , will prescribe a lens thats thinner for better looks & comfort..

Only this will cause you problems (Fish bowl effects) also other distortsions, like depth perception, ect......

Tell the doctor what your needs are as a racer so he can fit your prescription to serve your racing requirements and not for just your good looks....

If your Doc is good, he can roll back 5 or more years !

You have to try this ....It really helps....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:58 AM   #27
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3stocker
Randy did the kid have blonde hair? And was he wearing an Associated shirt?
No, he was asian.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:00 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

See, George is hundred and 3. He needs some help to line up that perfect hack move!

Ah just horsen' with ya. I needed to go get glasses when I took a jump and landed into oncoming traffic. That was nearly 15 years ago. I still can't put the transmitter down.

bb
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:36 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to AdR|aN

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Caster
No, he was asian.
Then its confirm.
Nicholas Lee from Singapore.
AdR|aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to JBennett

I'm 13 and I race people nowhere near my age and I beat them.

Age doesn't really matter, just your knowledge and experience on the hobby.
JBennett is offline   Reply With Quote