R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TRC/Enetti/Parma/Jaco/CRC/Corally/Xceed 1/12 scale Foamies Questions

I have a bit of a problem, there are WAY too many makers of 1/12 scale foamies, and they all say "White-Yellow-Orange-Pink-Magenta-Doublepink-Lilac-Purple-Black" as their colors compounds. I am always in search of a little more speed as I have to race against good competition and I always want to go break my current track record.... but I will willingly admit that where the rubber meets the rug is really the most important part, and that is the single part of the car I have no clue how to improve. I have no lack of choices here, just at Stormer there are 23 different kinds of 1/12 scale fronts (not counting the Enetti's, which will be there soon, and Xceeds which aren't carried) and 29 different kinds of 1/12 scale rears. I also have a problem with keeping one set consistent with the next. I had run Jaco yellow rears for a long time, but one day I got a new set that I prepped exactly the same that never hooked up and another set that seemed to wear out instantly

So here is my question one: In your experience, is there a single tire manufacturer that outperforms the others, had more traction and was more consistent from set-to-set, or when you open a new box are you always taking a crap shoot?

And Two: Are there any secret weapons that you have? A special additive or prep method beyond standard tire sauce (I have heard some strange shit, including motorcycle filter oil baths and car belt stop-squeak) to get that extra stick? I'm all ears here.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I have a bit of a problem, there are WAY too many makers of 1/12 scale foamies, and they all say "White-Yellow-Orange-Pink-Magenta-Doublepink-Lilac-Purple-Black" as their colors compounds. I am always in search of a little more speed as I have to race against good competition and I always want to go break my current track record.... but I will willingly admit that where the rubber meets the rug is really the most important part, and that is the single part of the car I have no clue how to improve. I have no lack of choices here, just at Stormer there are 23 different kinds of 1/12 scale fronts (not counting the Enetti's, which will be there soon, and Xceeds which aren't carried) and 29 different kinds of 1/12 scale rears. I also have a problem with keeping one set consistent with the next. I had run Jaco yellow rears for a long time, but one day I got a new set that I prepped exactly the same that never hooked up and another set that seemed to wear out instantly

So here is my question one: In your experience, is there a single tire manufacturer that outperforms the others, had more traction and was more consistent from set-to-set, or when you open a new box are you always taking a crap shoot?

And Two: Are there any secret weapons that you have? A special additive or prep method beyond standard tire sauce (I have heard some strange shit, including motorcycle filter oil baths and car belt stop-squeak) to get that extra stick? I'm all ears here.
Hey Rat.

Here's my take on the tire dealio.

There may be many options, but only a few actually work for your track.
I don't believe there is a magic brand of foam, or tire sauce.

Magenta is Magenta, Yellow is Yellow etc, however... old stock will not have the same grip as fresh new foam.
That's why it's best to buy from a place that sells a lot of tires, and keeps a good fresh rotating stock. I.E local track, or a quality online reseller like Stormer.

The best grip will come when everyone at your track uses the same traction compound, experimenting here will cause issues, with your grip, and possibly with the rug.
Stay away from the weird chemicals for carpet., if the track runs black paragon, you run that. If it's Jack the Gripper, run that, period.

Stick with one brand, as they all have different wheels/offsets.
Set your car up with those, and stick to a program.

Every track I have run with the R5 has worked with Jaco/Parma Magenta/Magenta, Black/Yellow, Pinkx2/Yellow.
You can fine tune from there, but once you find a setup that is consistent for 8 mins, stick with that type of tire, and tune the rest with your chassis.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Tech Master

I have always liked GRP tyres (the smaller sized yellow wheels). Hard to get hold of after the factory burnt down but lasted ages, did n't chunk and gave great performance. Not a fan of Jaco's but next up would be CRC for me. Always used to use purple fronts with grey rears but nowadays use magenta fronts with pink rears. CRC yellow rears were n't too bad but I like how pinks really lock in the rear end. Cheers.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Hey Rat.
Magenta is Magenta, Yellow is Yellow etc, however... old stock will not have the same grip as fresh new foam.
That's why it's best to buy from a place that sells a lot of tires, and keeps a good fresh rotating stock. I.E local track, or a quality online reseller like Stormer.

The best grip will come when everyone at your track uses the same traction compound, experimenting here will cause issues, with your grip, and possibly with the rug.
Stay away from the weird chemicals for carpet., if the track runs black paragon, you run that. If it's Jack the Gripper, run that, period.
I think RB is dead on but have to add one thing.

Tire size and prep on the truer is very important. The diameter of the tire, front and rear, and the shape of the sidewall make a big difference. I have a preference of smaller tires because of the consistent handling and less chucking and peeling of the sidewall. Also consistent tire sizes across your tire inventory makes comparing compounds in your set up more accurate.

Messed up quite a few sets of tires in the last year trying to find the set up that works for me.

1/12th scale, just 1/12th scale.
I love to go like hell for 8 minutes.
RacinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rat,

Mr. Berger is spot on. If the track runs a particular sauce, use it. If they don't spec the sauce, then run what the MAJORITY runs, and push the track owner to spec one sauce.

Fresh foam is better than older stock. I know that there are guys who swear by the older GRP stuff, or old Jaco stuff, but unless you have a bunch of New old stock tires, vacuum sealed for freshness, nip stuff from the same manufacturer will always offer more consistency.

I've run CRC's exclusively since Parma switched over to Jaco rims and foam. I have seen awesome consistency from order to order, and been more than happy with my results. Just pick one brand and stay there and you should be fine......

The most important thing is consistency, both in sauce application, and in tire selection. Tracks that allow different sauces will vary from week to week based on who uses what. If the track's owner specs the sauce, then life will be easier, and your optimal tire will remain consistent. If you have guys running different sauces every week, things can get hairy.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Another thing that has not been pointed out is that color/shore ratings from brand to brand are not always the same (parma black 35 shore, jaco black 40 shore). I use primarily parma but sometime use jaco (same wheel different color) cause with the offset of the wheels they offer more width tunning.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Another thing that has not been pointed out is that color/shore ratings from brand to brand are not always the same (parma black 35 shore, jaco black 40 shore). I use primarily parma but sometime use jaco (same wheel different color) cause with the offset of the wheels they offer more width tunning.
Are you sure about that ?

I think Parma and Jaco are the same now, only wheel color is different.
(edit, I just checked the ones I have here, my bad, you're right)

It wasn't always like this, but for the last few years it has been.

CRC/BSR compounds & Parma/Jaco all work more or less the same in my experience.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 12-06-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Parma Black 35, Jaco Black 40
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have seen some strange things noted for front tires, the 35 shore black vs 40 shore black is one thing but I have never run either so it doesn't matter for me, but I think I will have to make a more concerted effort to buy fresh tires from an online store that moves a lot of product. The last set of Magenta fronts I ran had sat on the shelf at my local hobby shop for who knows how long (I try to buy from my local shop, keeps the doors open and lights on), that might be why the car never seemed to work right with them.

I do have a question about Parma and Jaco Lilac fronts though, as they seem the hardest to predict. I understand they are a natural rubber but they seem to be hard to predict and work best when they are nearly a bare rim with a rubber bands thickness of foam on it. They also seemed to come off almost rubber-tire smooth after runs instead of the nice textured surface of other compounds, did I just get a bad set that wouldn't stick or are they all like that?
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can try to revive old tires with suntan lotion. It worked pretty well on my old tires prior to getting a fresh set.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
I agree 100%. That is one of my favorite things about the TRC tires, they come in a foil package and are as fresh as can be. Every time I open a package of tires it smells like a tire factory, I love it!

I have also not broken a single wheel since I started running these tires in September. The wheels are a bit softer plastic than others that are available and seem to take board meetings very well. I run about 2-3 times a week and usually run about 6 packs each time I go out. Tire wear is good too and very consistant.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Tech Adept

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...article&sid=27
minilantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #12
Tech Champion

I race 1/10th touring car with Enetti and I am impressed with the wear rate/grip on the harder compounds if that is any help to you.

I use CS grip additive and get both my tyres and additive from rc-direct in the UK

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote