R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2004, 05:51 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Jayjp

I have one of the cheap ones too, in fact I have had that one for 2 years now without a single problem. I even ran 4-cell 19t with it and not a single problem.

Did you contact Mtroniks and let them know of this problem? I would bet they would have taken care of you very nicely, in fact I gurantee it

Quote:
but if the low end one couldn't handle 4 cells I'd be leary of any Mtroniks product.
I just don't see how this makes any sense? Thats like saying that if a cavalier isn't fast niether is the corvette
Jayjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayjp
I have one of the cheap ones too, in fact I have had that one for 2 years now without a single problem. I even ran 4-cell 19t with it and not a single problem.

Did you contact Mtroniks and let them know of this problem? I would bet they would have taken care of you very nicely, in fact I gurantee it

I just don't see how this makes any sense? Thats like saying that if a cavalier isn't fast niether is the corvette
Sure it does. It's not like I was trying to run 8 cells through the thing. My point was that if a manufacturer's ESC couldn't reliably take the baby treatment of 4 cells and a stock motor then I wouldn't spend big bucks on an ESC from the same manufacturer.

Granted I may have recieved a defective ESC but based on my experience I am not going to gamble my money again on another ESC from the same no-name manufacturer (atleast here in the USA).

As for sending it in for repair, it really wasn't worth my time. It was only $30. I moved on and got a used Cyclone.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:07 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by kcobra
Sure it does. It's not like I was trying to run 8 cells through the thing. My point was that if a manufacturer's ESC couldn't reliably take the baby treatment of 4 cells and a stock motor then I wouldn't spend big bucks on an ESC from the same manufacturer.

Granted I may have recieved a defective ESC but based on my experience I am not going to gamble my money again on another ESC from the same no-name manufacturer (atleast here in the USA).

As for sending it in for repair, it really wasn't worth my time. It was only $30. I moved on and got a used Cyclone.
How do you like the Cyclone? I've had mine for about 4.5 years and wouldn't use anything else. I could care less what's on the market now. There's nothing that will outperform a Cyclone.
2BAD4ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:15 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Thats fine if you didnt want to resolve the situation, but this is a thread for the CIRRUS not the low end ESCs, they are worlds apart as far as performance and reliability, as with any cheaper product. Not to say that the cheap ones aren't capable, they definatly are. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Mtroniks, and I guess there is no way to help you, so good luck and happy racing!
Old 12-15-2004, 08:01 AM   #20
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Personally, I've never quite understood that kind of thing. Something breaks, the person doesn't want to give the company the chance to correct it(especially when its still under warranty), but then is mad at the company because things didn't go right

EVERY company has a defective unit now and then. Just ask the early converts to Novak's GT7. But those people gave Novak a chance to correct it instead of just tossing the thing and moving on. Thats how its supposed to work...
Old 12-15-2004, 11:34 AM   #21
Tech Addict

From what I hear, there is a new pro version of the cirrus coming out. I believe they have fixed a couple of issues. Still a very good speed control. Service is top notch when there is something wrong. If you send them general questions or feedback, they take a while to respond though.

Because of where I live and shipping rates, I would still choose the gtx. I feel more comfortable sending something across the country than across the pond.

Both are very good speedo's though.

Tim
Old 12-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #22
Tech Adept

The pro is still in testing phase...I am still waiting for mine

And YES any issue that you might have had will be addressed with this one
Old 12-15-2004, 01:45 PM   #23
Tech Master

Last post on this topic. If I remember right, I did do a few google searches and others had similar complaints with the low end Mtroniks ESC. I figured it wasn't worth my trouble to send a $30 ESC in when the ESC had a history of being bad. If you look at it rationally, you just cut your losses at a certain point instead of spending your time, gas money, shipping expense, etc on trying to get a replacement product.

I always find it funny how it's ok to come into a thread and praise a product, be it the same product or a different product by the same company, but some people get all defensive when someone post a negative review of the product. It's a two way street. If you accept the good reviews then you have to accept the bad reviews.

As for the Cyclone, they have been great. I am running the original yellow label version in both my 1/12th scale and 1/10th scale pan car. Paid about $50 a piece for them. Ofcourse, Novak ain't immuned to bad products. Look at their brushless system. Many problems with those.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:01 PM   #24
Tech Adept

I understand your point, but as a sponsored driver it is my job to defend the name of the product, so that's why I was on the definsive. That and, the fact that this thread is about the Mtroniks Cirrus, not about Mtroniks and all of its products. In your case it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Quote:
If I remember right, I did do a few google searches and others had similar complaints with the low end Mtroniks ESC.
That is a vast generalization, considering Mtroniks has a variety of ESC's at a variety of prices.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you resolve your problem, I probably could have helped, but your right it probably wasn't worth your time.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:06 PM   #25
Tech Master

No problem. Happy racing.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #26
Regional Moderator

I just picked up a Mtroniks Cirrus and I'm going to be taking it out for a run this weekend.

Anybody got a good set up for it. I'll be running it on a fairly tight indoor carpet track running in 19turn foam class.

Since I'm new to it, I kept things pretty conservative with my set up.

freq.- Level 3 (2.5kHz.)

Throttle Curve- Level 4 (mid-way between aggressive and smooth)

Punch- Level 3

Min. Brake- Level 1 (0% min.)

Like I said, pretty conservative. If anybody has anything better for the conditions I listed, please share.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:28 AM   #27
MSB
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to MSB

More than a year after buying this esc, itīs working fine & reliable.
I never tried a 19 turn, as we race only with 12's but your set up is probably good for start. I would only change the punch to 5 or 6, but need to test .
Old 04-08-2005, 07:24 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default Re: Mtroniks Cirrus Esc

Quote:
Originally posted by JCB
Hey Guys,

Need your input/feedback....I was looking at maybe purchasing this speedo. However, I don't know of anyone that uses it. Would like to know how it ranks against the GTX and Q2. Or should I just buy the GTX??

How does it perform on the track? All input would be appreciated.

thanks!
Juan, shoot me an email...I was running it Sunday at the last ORL race

Loads of configuration options and lots of punch
Old 04-08-2005, 11:37 AM   #29
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MSB
More than a year after buying this esc, itīs working fine & reliable.
I never tried a 19 turn, as we race only with 12's but your set up is probably good for start. I would only change the punch to 5 or 6, but need to test .
Cool...

Thanks.

-Darkseid
Old 04-08-2005, 12:03 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Stickboy

We did a Review of the Cirrus last year. It is a nice ESC.

I have three of them now. One for my 12L3, TC3, and B4.

Shan