R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Questions?? Questions about lipo charger.

I am looking for a lipo charger, but I need to be cost smart about it. I found a venom Pro charger on Ebay, sold by venomgroupusa, I assume that is the actual venom company. The reason its a great deal, is becuase its refurbished.If it is refurbished, should I still get it? It says it has a Full factory warranty, but with my lack of Ebay knowledge, I dont know if they can say whatever they want, and if this is even the real venom rc selling this and not some guy in his house. Help me out guys pleasee! thanks
Zotter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Tech Adept

To be honest if your on a budget you wont go far wrong with the Imax B6 charger on ebay. I have a very expensive GM charger and have also had a few others and the B6 works just as well, and also after checking the balance voltage independently there pretty much bang on after 2 years of use. You can spend more if you want but you wont feel any difference in my opinion. Obviously you will get more features and maybe higher output with a beter charger but I only charge a 1c so 5amp is fine for me.
Monkeys punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeys punk View Post
To be honest if your on a budget you wont go far wrong with the Imax B6 charger on ebay. I have a very expensive GM charger and have also had a few others and the B6 works just as well, and also after checking the balance voltage independently there pretty much bang on after 2 years of use. You can spend more if you want but you wont feel any difference in my opinion. Obviously you will get more features and maybe higher output with a beter charger but I only charge a 1c so 5amp is fine for me.
sorry, I dont support hobbyking products
Zotter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Vemon chargers at least most of them are from the same manufacture as the Trunigy, Imax ect. They just are green or red in colour and venom brand name on it.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter7 View Post
sorry, I dont support hobbyking products
There's ya problem. Imax are good chargers, i have a 4 port and 2 singles and they have run flawlessly since i have had them. I know a lot of plank guys who use hobbyking branded chargers and they love them, when you are charging 20+ packs at a time, you need a lot of chargers, and if the 70 buck one does the same job as the 300 buck one, what you going to use when you need 3 of them?
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
Vemon chargers at least most of them are from the same manufacture as the Trunigy, Imax ect. They just are green or red in colour and venom brand name on it.
They are all coming out of the same bunch of factories in China. If they work, use them, if they are crap, don't and if one has the same internals and programming as another and is cheaper, then use it. Its just common sense.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Tech Elite

I just bought a Pro-Tek 610 on a Black Friday sale from A-Main and it is virtually identical to a Chinese made one I bought three years ago (it still works but it's only 50W). Same functions, same color backlight, same programming but a different case and buttons.

You can buy the more expensive chargers but they essentially work the same. The FMA chargers are made in the states but they are a bit pricey and work very well. I have one of their 4Amp Multi-Chemistry models, very good charger but a bit too complicated to use and only goes to 4amps.

The best charger I have is the iCharge 106B. It does everything and does it well. It isn't too expensive at $90.

Now all the chargers I mentioned require a power supply. I just picked up and tried out one from Hobbypartz. It's a 25Amp one that cost $30. I like it so far and it's smaller than the ones I was using.

Funny thing is that the worst charger I have was also the most expensive.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Tech Adept

That I charger 106b is my fav charger. 10amp charger rate and still cheap to buy.
Monkeys punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My bro has the Icharger 106b,.. one thing I like about it is that the balance board is build into the side of the charger, not something dangling off of the side of the charger like most chargers....

i cheaped out and just ordered a Thunder AC6 should do the trick
Mattpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
They are all coming out of the same bunch of factories in China. If they work, use them, if they are crap, don't and if one has the same internals and programming as another and is cheaper, then use it. Its just common sense.

Yes I know and that was my point.

Further to this the Imax is the crapest of them using poor tollerance components and the tend to have balancing errors.

The Trunigy at least the two which I have (also one of the cheapest through hobbyking) uses 0.1% tollerance resistors and has perfect cell balancing (confirmed with calibrated meter).
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote