U.S. Vintage Stock Cars - You asked....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Vintage Stock Cars - You asked....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Default U.S. Vintage Stock Cars - You asked....

OK, kids...you asked for it...

I put it together...

Now, let's see some tracks put these two classes on their schedules.

The U.S. Vintage Stock Car Series (or classes) are based off of the very popular U.S. Vintage Trans-Am road-racing division.

There's way too many "serious" classes of paved/carpet oval racing. Pan-car racing can be very intimidating to someone just getting into the hobby. And road-racing takes a different mindset with having to turn right *and* left.

So, in an attempt to put some *fun* back into oval racing, I've created two new classes (like oval needs more classes, right...? LOL).

The first is the Thunder Cars. This class is based directly off of the U.S. Vintage Trans-Am using Touring-car chassis. I used the exact same rules as VTA, but: 1) I changed the tires to the HPI slicks; 2) I changed the wheels to the HPI stock-car wheels; and 3) I opened up the body rules to include a lot more vintage stock cars - Firebirds, Novas, Impalas, Torinos, '55 - '58 Fords and Chevys, the McAllister IROC '78 Camaro, etc., along with the typical Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, and Barracudas (still hoping to see that Cougar ).

The second class - Outlaw Late Models. Asphalt-style outlaw wedge cars. Custom Works Rocket wedge (that was based off of Randy Sweet's record-setting machine at Winchester, IN). Phantom wedge. Pro-mod Lumina and Thunderbird (still available from Custom Works' Web site). Old NDRA-style wedge cars.
Chassis for this class will be the RJSpeed "Sportsman" chassis. No modifications to the chassis will be permitted. Any tie-rods, any front springs. World GT tires. Novak Vulcan 17.5 will be the only legal motor at this time. Side dams up to 4" high permitted, but not required. 1s battery up to 5000mAh. Only a select list of ESC's permitted (same as USVTA and Thunder Cars - no electronic/dynamic-timing ESC's permitted). Just a neat class with some bad-a** lookin' bodies, but reasonable to get into.

Web site? All the rules, some photos, and message boards.

http://usvsc.webs.com - still a work in progress as we get this thing off the ground.

**If these are classes that your track would like to run, we ask that you *please* stick to these rules as close as possible.** We'd like to keep the rules as simple as possible, and as consistent as possible, across the country. That way, when a racer travels, every track doesn't have different rules for the two classes.

Good luck...and have fun with it!

Jimmy
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Ok, racers....we added photo galleries of the "look" of the cars we're looking for

Also added our own message boards.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Good luck!!! Looks like fun
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robk
Good luck!!! Looks like fun
That's the whole idea

Trying to bring the fun and competitiveness of VTA to the oval crowd. With the full-bodied and (somewhat) heavier cars, you can beat and bang a little more than you could with a pan car.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hey Jimmy,

I might have overlooked it, but I didn't see anything in the Thunder Car rules regarding weight offset or chassis mods. Is the intent to stick with something that can be run as USVTA on a road course with no changes (other than tires, springs, etc.), or can these be left-turn-only?