R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2004, 03:28 PM   #46
Tech Adept
 
Leini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Frankfurt/ Germany
Posts: 105
Default

sounds good, but in the tc section we will never have a new body that more grip front AND rear. you got more steering OR more rear traction...
Leini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #47
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank McKinney
It'll be interesting to see if ROAR and IFMAR approve this one - it looks nothing like the real Stratus apart from the grille/headlights (look at the roofline and trunklid) and there's also the minor detail that the late-model Stratus has never been road raced (meaning the 2.0 version should never have been approved at all).

I like what Dale and Protoform can do, they always make quality stuff but this NASCAR-like tendency to massage bodies into things that don't resemble road-going cars is just getting out of hand. The Alfa, the Mazda, etc....
I couldn't agree more. This practice has to stop or we will eventually be racing Can-Am bodies on touring cars.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:52 PM   #48
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default Re: Dodge Stratus 3.0 THE BEST OF EVERYTHING

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Desrosiers
Changing nothing else but the body on the car setup, I went just as fast if not faster than with ANY other body I've tested.
So what is the end result? Drivers will buy the body and EVERYONE will go faster and we will end up with vehicles that in no way resemble real cars.

Some of you forget or were not around when touring cars were first becoming popular, but one of the main reasons cited for its popularity was the fact that the cars resembled actual vehicles that participants and spectators could relate to.

Sure the current 4-door formula is a bit out of date, but "handling" bodes should not be legal IMO.

As far as off road goes, there are no production based buggies so it is impossible to determine what is realistic and what is not.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #49
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 396
Default

I hear you guys talking about real looking bodies but the trouble is once you let one guy get away with it (funny cars) the others have to follow or get left behind! Then they have to go to the next level and so on.

So now what, make them all illegal (and start over) or let the trend continue?

Two years ago NASCAR bit the bullet and made all of the teams go to a "Common" template. Now at least there is a little control.
But that cost a lot of money that I don't think the companies want to spend for more new molds, which will eventually cost us more money too.

Do we really want to race stock cars, I don't think so. So the associations need to come up with some kind of standards, common templates in critical areas if you will. Or leave it alone and let us have some really cool looking bodies!!!!
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:07 PM   #50
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Flack
Do we really want to race stock cars, I don't think so. So the associations need to come up with some kind of standards, common templates in critical areas if you will. Or leave it alone and let us have some really cool looking bodies!!!!
The have rules that have been overlooked recently. Imagine if ROAR does not allow the 3.0 (which it shouldn't) all the racers are going to scream "ROAR sucks, blah blah blah" instead of complaining to companies about making illegal bodies.

Tracks and clubs should also exhibit some balls and not allow questionable bodies.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #51
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,833
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
Tracks and clubs should also exhibit some balls and not allow questionable bodies.
Nice.........

I see hand out bodies at races.....
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....15th year running 2017/18!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:20 PM   #52
Tech Elite
 
JDXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,802
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray
Default

Speedtechrc has the 3.0 already up
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #53
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 396
Default

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
[B]The have rules that have been overlooked recently. Imagine if ROAR does not allow the 3.0 (which it shouldn't) all the racers are going to scream "ROAR sucks, blah blah blah" instead of complaining to companies about making illegal bodies.


Rick

What about the bodies that were made legal before Protoform, I think if you look back over the last year or two you will see that Dale held out as long as he could before he had to make a car like the 3.0.

You can't pick on the last guy in, the first few are what started the current trend in bodies.

Ted
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #54
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Flack
Rick

What about the bodies that were made legal before Protoform, I think if you look back over the last year or two you will see that Dale held out as long as he could before he had to make a car like the 3.0.

You can't pick on the last guy in, the first few are what started the current trend in bodies.

Ted [/B]
I agree. But the line has to be drawn somewhere or like I said, we will be running can-am bodies on touring car chassis - especially if all a racer cares about is handling.

Hopefully when new body types are classified, ROAR, the racers, and race organizers will take a stand and through rules force manufacturers to make realistic bodies. Realistic bodies can only help the future of R/C racing.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #55
Moderator
 
Speedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,431
Default

I think the rule that bodies must resemble a car actually raced in the touring car series is dated, and needs to be re-written.

Not only do the bodies we use now not look like full scale tournig cars, they look better. Either we loose the TC resemblance rule altogether, or stick more firmly to it, and at this point the latter will be tough.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:48 PM   #56
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lake Elsinore, ca
Posts: 873
Default

I agree with Speddo.

We have the oppurtunity to design and run cars that full scale guys can only dream of but becuase of Roar we are stuck with rental cars. I really think this sport needs to rethink somethings to continue to grow. When somone who knows nothing about the sport asks me what kind of car i race i would like to say something other than Strutus. Do you think they are going to run out and buy one? The only thing cool about these cards is the paint.
__________________
FT B44 - FT J82
LRP TC SPHERE - Futaba Fasst
Orion Lipo & Vortex motors
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:03 PM   #57
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

I agree as well. There does not need to be specific rules about what brand or make of body should be used, I think we just need to preserve the class as a touring car class. There should be general design guidelines such as:

- 2-4 doors
- general sedan shape, no full bodied aero shapes
- only a fixed wing on the rear of the body allowed
- Minimum and maximum height, width and lengths and wing sizes

Body companies wishing an approved body should submit a concept drawing with dimensions to the approval bodies (ROAR< EFRA etc) and they can approve or say that the body is departing too far from the class spirit.

This way you can have fantasy bodies, no need for approaching full sized companies for the rights to their body shapes and styles, but still preserve the spirit of the class.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #58
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
I agree as well. There does not need to be specific rules about what brand or make of body should be used, I think we just need to preserve the class as a touring car class. There should be general design guidelines such as:

- 2-4 doors
- general sedan shape, no full bodied aero shapes
- only a fixed wing on the rear of the body allowed
- Minimum and maximum height, width and lengths and wing sizes

Body companies wishing an approved body should submit a concept drawing with dimensions to the approval bodies (ROAR< EFRA etc) and they can approve or say that the body is departing too far from the class spirit.

This way you can have fantasy bodies, no need for approaching full sized companies for the rights to their body shapes and styles, but still preserve the spirit of the class.
Well said.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:37 PM   #59
Tech Master
 
stormperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 1,185
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson
Default

Also, the body should probably have a fixed area, since the trend has been for smaller and smaller cabin's. So a fixed amount of space that the body has to have would prevent the cabin's from shrinking and turning into speed 12 one's, lol. And possibly some rules about the body having to be somewhat in porportion the real car that it is based off of. Althogh IMO at least, the splitters and that stuff that are used in real racing cars (although i dont think we will see stuff as much as in DTM) should be allowed....
__________________
R/C Excitement Special Projects Coordinator
Kwik | Speedmerchant | Parma PSE | KO Propo
Team Pickles
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:42 PM   #60
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by stormperson
Also, the body should probably have a fixed area, since the trend has been for smaller and smaller cabin's. So a fixed amount of space that the body has to have would prevent the cabin's from shrinking and turning into speed 12 one's, lol. And possibly some rules about the body having to be somewhat in porportion the real car that it is based off of. Althogh IMO at least, the splitters and that stuff that are used in real racing cars (although i dont think we will see stuff as much as in DTM) should be allowed....
Yeah thats possibly a good idea. In my proposal I did not want to stymie creativity by making them have to conform to certain dimensions, but allowing the governing body to dictate that in their approval process. I am never a fan of lots of rules, but in this case we need to trust the governing body, so I can see your point.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Stratus-Hpi, protoform(orig, 2.0, 3.0) i_got_m8_4_$85 Electric On-Road 5 05-07-2005 02:55 PM
Protoform Stratus 2.0 190mm NEW seamus0g R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 01-15-2005 11:54 AM
Protoform Stratus Discontinued??? Hugo Electric On-Road 21 03-22-2004 12:20 PM
protoform stratus 2.0 wing ongbenghui Electric On-Road 6 08-08-2002 04:01 PM
Protoform Stratus 2.0 coolrcdad Electric On-Road 12 07-08-2002 03:19 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:49 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net