R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2004, 10:25 PM   #211
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

I am a Lump in with you too Rob...lol

I want a body that looks good on the car. Something that is realistic looking but does not have to be a direct copy of a car that is raced. I know what ROAR rules state...I am a member and I vote. But I also only race maybe one ROAR race a year and last time I looked the two most important US carpet races are not ROAR events.

I have been in RC since the sedans started to hit the market. HPI use to have some very realistic bodies....but looking back boy they stunk on the track....lol My Diablo or Viper just did not handle like the Stratus did...and you know what my enjoyment of the driving improved as the car's handling improved...may not look like a real race car but sure drove like one...lol

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:57 PM   #212
Tech Rookie

I just joined this forum for this discussion. I work in this industry and have been responsible for several of the bodies you guys like from HPI from the past 2+ years. For racing I designed the Stratus 2 Aero and wings and back with Maxtec I designed the Alfa that was copied, I wont name names but they know who they are.

Anyway, while I'm a fan of scale bodies I know there is a time and place for those and racing isnt, unless its a spec class of some sort. Yes I think the race bodies stretch the rules a bit and the people in charge of enforcing the rules have been soft on this. I dont agree with allowing the pro's or anyone in a high profile race to run plain bodies because these people should represent the best of the best and be more professional.

Copywrite law in the US is pretty straight forward but the offshore companies in Japan, Australia and especially in China could care less about it. I have no respect for them and there is no real way to guard against them. The industry has to police itself and ban togther to fight it but that means nothing if the consumer still buys.

This is the first time I have posted because this issue concerning race bodies and back pouring is serious to me. It sux to see your hard work just stripped away by some hack just in it to make a buck, but thats capitalism.

Dale, I have raced your designs and I know how much work goes into making bodies and developing a product and while I dont know you personally I can see we share the same opinions on certain things.

Thats it for now,
Chris
Chris N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:05 AM   #213
Tech Champion

don't get mad......... I still prefer realism bodies with their liveries and sponsors. I don't mind paying premium for that. I know tamiya makes those realism bodies, but they don't fit perfectly to yokomo or xray cars.

asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:12 AM   #214
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When was the last time you saw an Audi with a wide body kit, air vents on the fenders, and additional elements on the front end for additional downforce? They're doing the same thing in full scale racing that we're doing. Messaging the shape of the "real thing" to make it handle better.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 11:32 AM   #215
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Jon, yeah but for full size motor sport - that is what they do, take the road car and make it into a racing car.

Our rules say that our shells should be a representation of the racing car, not our own modification of the origional road car.

Having said that, maybe that is the answer, maybe our bodyshell manufactures should be able to take a road car shape and mod it into a rc race car shell.....................................

Generally i have no problem with the shells that we have had. That said, some of the ride "truck" shells.........................
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:02 PM   #216
Tech Champion

What they're doing is changing the body to work better for their application. That's exactly what our body makers do. The "realistic" body shapes don't work well at the speeds we race and the scale we race in. So the body guys do what they can to make them work better. It's no different as far as I'm concearned. That's why I think the rules need to be changed and let the designers have at it. Just keep it within reason.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #217
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I saw that the FIA European Touring Car Championship (ETCC) was on SPEED today and I have to say that the most realistic body going has to be Dale's BMW 3 series too bad it just doesn't work that well. I also went to their website www.fiatouringcars.com and see that in the headlines they have info about the new Chevrolet Lacetti that well be run in the FIA World Touring Car Championship (new name for the ETCC). They have pics on sections titled headlines as well as in the Gallery section titled "special events." I will let someone that knows how to post the pics do that.

Also looking at he other pics of the real cars you get to see just how far fetch some of them have become.
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #218
Tech Addict

Default More Body Stuff

Jon Kerr - I hope you get a sunburn. lol

Chris N - if you did the HPI Stratus Aero 2, I have to tell you that you do very nice work. Big thumbs up.

Brian Anthony - thanks for the info on that WTCC web site. I've been trying to find it for a while now without success. Got it bookmarked now. EFRA body officials are really high on this series.

Dale
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 03:50 PM   #219
Tech Champion

Default Re: More Body Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by daleepp
Jon Kerr - I hope you get a sunburn. lol

Dale

Happy Holidays
Old 12-24-2004, 11:19 PM   #220
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

wow... having read all 8 pages on X-mas eve(!), i thought id weigh in... not that i matter much!

i agree with both sides... i am after the handling aspect of a body... most of the time. i also think its fun to use alternative bodies (see TCS) from time to time. i am usually the guy at the track with those...i really want to run an Audi A4 Avant! (wagon) pushes like a school bus in the snow, tho....

when i first started running TC, my first "race" bodies were a 911 Turbo, and the Chevy Silverado street truck. got a little poked fun at, but they always knew which car they were lapping! lol!!

as i work for a VW/Audi dealership, i would be stoked to see a morphed Audi S4, or Jetta... the proline Jetta replicates the real car well, just isnt a very good handler.

in fact, after the Novak race, i am gonna suggest a Beetle Cup series, all cars with a VW Beetle body! in fact, ill volunteer the painting...
i hate going to the track and seeing every car look the same, anyway, and i say, thumbs up to the new 3.0, legal or not!

Dale can ya get to work on that Audi S4, please? lol...

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 03:42 PM   #221
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Also they just changed the webpage as they updated it to say Merry Christmas. It is now http://www.fiawtcc.com/.

Merry Christmas to all!!!
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:30 PM   #222
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by tamiyadriver
wow... having read all 8 pages on X-mas eve(!), i thought id weigh in... not that i matter much!
all 8 pages huh? Then you please tell me which if any page it says when the new 3.0 is being released? My track doesnt really care about roar rules, just as long as you have a sedan-looking body. thank you and Happy Holidays
S15Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:30 PM   #223
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

actually, i didnt see when its due out. you might check with www.speedtechrc.com. he has a preorder going, i think, and may have a better idea when it will be there.

i know that at the last Novak race, the brand "P" alfa had just showed up 2 days before the race. lots of 1-color wonders there then!

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:02 AM   #224
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by S15Racer
all 8 pages huh? Then you please tell me which if any page it says when the new 3.0 is being released? My track doesnt really care about roar rules, just as long as you have a sedan-looking body. thank you and Happy Holidays
was released on the 15th.. when it will be in stores... uhh... soooooon
Old 12-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #225
Tech Rookie

Thanks Dale,
Yeah that was a fun and tough body to do for HPI's first serious attempt at a racing body. Its a good mid to high speed track body and in Europe it does well I hear.

Chris N.
Chris N. is offline   Reply With Quote