R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-22-2004, 11:28 PM   #196
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Whats the first rule about Protoform Stratus 3.0 club?

Don't talk about Protoform Stratus 3.0 club.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:44 AM   #197
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Quote:
Originally posted by David Alberico
what's up PW?
Notta....Good to see ya on the rctech

Body looks great Dale!!! Still waiting on mine

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:59 AM   #198
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ATLAS COPCO
Can someone tell me if this body shell has been released yet or if not when will it be released?
Thanks
ATLAS COPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 10:06 AM   #199
Tech Addict

Default RC Body Stuff

bhambrent - the 200mm version of the 3.0 will not be till probably feb or mar/05. I want to get some good feedback from racers using the 190 mm version on rubber/outdoors to find out its personality there. Once I have a good sense as to what its doing, I'll be able have some "data" (poor use of the word) to know how to adjust certain parts of the 3.0's shape to make it more effective for 200mm gas racing.

Greg Sharpe - you rock! I hope there are many more out there in "rc land" that understand this race-body biz as well as you do. Your post was excellent. I am hoping that guys like you will put your thoughts in writing and send it to ROAR pres Rick Wilson & Bob Ingersoll. I have probably sounded like "a voice in the wilderness" when talking to Bob about this stuff, so I know that if he recieved a few letters calling for some reforms in body legalization, it would probably carry a lot of weight. (toward change) If you need address' just let me know, or look on ROAR web site.

I've got a few questions for you racers.
1 - With this negative outcry from (a small percentage of) you about the Stratus 3.0, just wondering, has there been any similar protests anywhere about the very strange looking, long-trunk series of Accord bodies from Ride? (2nd place at the 2004 Worlds) What about the completely unrealistic Yokomo Stratus E (version #5)? What about the Skoda body that's ROAR & IFMAR legal. And hey, have ya seen a lot of (non rally) Skoda's racing on Speed tv lately? lol The official Skoda web site refers to this model as a "prestige, luxury sedan". Strange. And what about the Tamiya Subaru body? Did you ever notice just how familiar that thing looks? When an industry icon like Tamiya puts Subaru lights & grill on a mold that is 90% Stratus 2.0, it has me scratching my head. (3rd place at the 2004 Worlds) I have nothing but respect, awe and admiration for the hobby giant Tamiya, but for a brief moment, when I saw this body at the Shizuoka Hobby Show, I was very disappointed in them.

2 - for all you racers who share my concern for "realizm" what say ye about these poorly prepared bodies that often make the A-mains at the most prestigious races in our sport. You know exactly what I'm talking about. One color of white or yellow, no headlights, grill, tailight stickers - only a couple of sponsor logos. Even a dead-nuts perfectly realistic Tamiya or HPI body would look like Casper the Ghost if prepared so carelessly. But they show up at every major event (in america) and sadly have even won a few. If the manufacturer has gone to the trouble and expense of including all the appropriate stickers and engraving, why not take 2 minutes to put them on?
2b - for all you realism fans - what about this trend started in the far east, of painted on "anime" style headlights, grills etc. I personally have no problem with this, but what do you think of it? Is it allowed in the UK? Just curious.

3 - What are your opinions about companies like Titan Blitz that blatantly rip off - back pour - copy to a T - whatever, PROTOform race bodies. In some cases, they even used our decal sheets on the painted web-site bodies. To add even further insult to injury, they have "arrows" pointing to the "unique features" only seen on Titan Blitz bodies. (sound of puking) Hey, I didn't find these molds in the garden, each one took a month or more to finish. Should a company like this be supported by racers & dealers? For me its very frustrating - and they've done an extensive list of PROTOform clones. I guess they just have no class (or conscience) whatsoever.

After, reading and considering the views and opinions expressed on this thread and the other RC Tech Pf thread, I've been able to kinda summarize the feeling of many. I "hear" that many of you want me to be the "body - cop" for the industry because ROAR and IFMAR have been so ineffective. BUT, it seems like you want me to keep my own self-imposed "rules" while at the same time you think its ok for everyone to completely ignore this new-generation of "funny" sedan bodies coming in from overseas. I hope I'm wrong.

On a positive note - we will figure this thing out - and it will be better!

Well, I gotta go shovel snow now, eh. aarrrgh!

Have a great Christmas season! - Dale - PROTOform
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:12 AM   #200
Tech Regular

Dale,

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

There has to be some kind of regulation other than saying there has to be a production car that "looks" like the body submitted. Even Funny Cars and Pro Stock have rules! I know NASCAR has the common templates that people think are stupid but believe me they aren't that common. The rules gives all the companies a guideline to submit bodies to the associations.

When one company has a car with a deck lid twice as long as the others you have to wonder how that was approved. Same with green house size.

Personally I don't have a big concern about realism, I have a bigger concern that one company can tie up a body style due to an agreement about licensing fees. Who cares if we race a Protoform S3.0 if it goes fast and looks cool. If they look like cars that are out there racing that would be even better, but shouldn't be a requirement.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Flack; 12-23-2004 at 04:40 PM.
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #201
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you guys think the Stratus 3 will be EFRA legal?
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:45 PM   #202
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Dale,
I'm one who could care less about realism. I want a body to handle. I agree they need to not go the route of 1/12 cars and stay looking similar to what we have. The thing I have a problem with is ROAR's rule stating they must replicate the real thing and then letting cars like the Ride bodies get by. Either make a rule or don't. Those bodies you listed are a perfect example of this. I agree we need a set of measurements to keep the general shape within reason and let you guys go from there.

As far as the one color wonders, I don't like them either. I know some guys don't have a creative bone in their body and that's fine. If you're at that level of racing, have bodies painted for you. I'm not at that level and I still have them painted professionally because I didn't feel my paint jobs looked good enough for my sponsors. I know a lot of times the one color schemes happen as a last minute paint job in a hotel and that's always going to happen. But I've seen guys show up to the track with a stack of white bodies.

And the last point with the copy cat companies, what's to stop you from collecting licensing rights from them? Obviously it sucks they're doing that crap and getting away with it, but is there anything you can do about it?

Thought I'd throw my opinion in there. And BTW, I did also share my opinion and a link to this thread with Steve Wang, our ROAR Regional director, as I think all members should. That's the only way this whole body thing is going to get solved.

Instead of shoveling snow, I'll go enjoy the rest of this nice 75 degree day in December
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #203
Tech Elite

Default Re: RC Body Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by daleepp
3 - What are your opinions about companies like Titan Blitz that blatantly rip off - back pour - copy to a T - whatever, PROTOform race bodies. In some cases, they even used our decal sheets on the painted web-site bodies. To add even further insult to injury, they have "arrows" pointing to the "unique features" only seen on Titan Blitz bodies. (sound of puking) Hey, I didn't find these molds in the garden, each one took a month or more to finish. Should a company like this be supported by racers & dealers? For me its very frustrating - and they've done an extensive list of PROTOform clones. I guess they just have no class (or conscience) whatsoever.
Hi Dale. I have the greatest respect for you and your great company and I have used your bodies pretty much exclusively for 4 years. I have a few comments here.

I purchased a blitz mazda 6 body and I found that it is a little different to yours especially in the rear. Of course your would know if it was a back pour, I have no idea, but there are some differences espcially in the rear end "fender" length, wing position, front wheel position and the front overhang.

This is what I see as the trouble with "over realistic" bodies. If all companies do a scale copy of a mazda 6 they WILL be the same, or at least very very close. I like the options of having some variations to the body because when you think about 1:1 touring car racing they very rarely race the stock body shape. They almost always have some form of aero kit on their cars, so I consider your version of the Mazda6 and Blitzs version (assuming they have not just back poured your body) as just different "tuner" versions of the car with a different aero package.

I do find blantant copying of moulds to be wrong.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:49 PM   #204
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jon Kerr
[B]
I'm one who could care less about realism. I want a body to handle.

bhambrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:29 PM   #205
Tech Fanatic

Lump me in with Jon Kerr.

I want a body that handles well, and looks like a sedan/coupe and looks good. I couldn't care less whether it was a Stratus, Mazda 6, or Billy Bob's Back Room Creation.

Props to you for continuing to turn out great looking and great handling bodies.

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:42 PM   #206
Tech Champion

What if I don't want to be lumped in with you!
Old 12-23-2004, 05:51 PM   #207
Tech Fanatic

Ouch. Does the fact that I'm really looking hard at a Schumacher change your mind?

Rob
Old 12-23-2004, 06:30 PM   #208
Tech Adept

Hi Dale,

1. I don't have a problem with the 3.0 shape and will be running one as soon as they touch this side of the shore to give it a go on the track.

2a. I think 1 colour paint jobs are fine with good colours. Many full scale cars are based on a single colour, however at a high level racing its better to see some inventive and expressive shells. However on a quest for realism people could argue that you don't often see flourescent pink flames on a real tourer. As far as I know you HAVE to run light/grill decals or have them painted on here in the UK. Similarly in 12th circuit, if there is a visible driver on the shell (LMP style) they have to be detailed in some way, and any windows have to be in the same place as the actual cars with no tint (unless the original used tint). However I would also say that if I trashed my shell before an A final, I would be very annoyed if I got moaned at for 1 colour spraying up a shell in 5 mins to get onto the grid. After all the racing is the primary factor in the hobby in my opinion, realism is an aim we should all try and achieve.

2b. Not see too many of the anime lights. As far as I am aware as long as they represent lights or grills in the correct places they are legal in the UK, its doesn't matter if the "style" is correct. I may be wrong however.

3. Blatent industrial copying should be frowned at by all! I have never even heard of Blitz shells till now so I can't comment.... is there no way a shell designer can copyright his moulds, much like a musician can protect the melody of a song? Just an idea.

Take it easy and Merry Christmas

Andy
Andy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:07 PM   #209
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Mincey
Ouch. Does the fact that I'm really looking hard at a Schumacher change your mind?

Rob
Yes, very much so. Lump in all you want

YGPM
Old 12-23-2004, 09:59 PM   #210
Tech Fanatic

Back at ya, Jon.

Rob