R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2004, 12:31 PM   #136
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Yeah, Oval. When was the last time you saw a Cup Car with an offroad wing sticking out the back window?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #137
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Sounds like in the case of R/C (except Tamiya), the only reason companies like Protoform have to get licensing is for use of the name??? As someone mentioned earlier, without the headlights, tail lights and emblem decal, who could identify an R/C body as a replica of a real car???

Maybe the r/c body manufacturers should consider developing its own naming scheme for car bodies.

Stratus=Stratosphere
Alpha = Al-fal-fa 2.0
M3 = Eminem 3

Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #138
Tech Fanatic

Except, then they'd get sued by The Little Rascals and Eminem. lol.

Personally, I think we're making a big deal out of nothing. Companies are massaging acceptable body styles to make them worth running.

I don't buy into the argument that realistic looking bodies will make things more diverse. Look at TCS Nationals - it's a sea of NSX's and Ferrari 360's - how many realistic bodies does Tamiya make again? Racers are going to use what works, simple as that.

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #139
Tech Master

ROAR rules...thats why

Theres a discussion about bodies in the ROAR section

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.p...threadid=57686

Last edited by BlackKat; 12-20-2004 at 01:06 PM.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 PM   #140
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackKat
ROAR rules...thats why
That was kinda my point!
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #141
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
What REALLY goes wrong is what happening to 1/12th bodies. Dale made sort of realistic bodies like the P35 and their Speed 8. Then Parma relase their Speed 8 optimized to be a pure R/C race car (Door stop shape). Protoform replies with the Ascari and Speed 12. They look cool in a Japanese anime sort of way but not like a real car.

It would be bad for sedans to go that way.
That's almost a comical statement. The LAST realistic 12th scale bodies were the McAllister Chevy Intrepid GTP and AE Nissan NPT-ZX circa '93. Dale's P35 was a great body, but IN NO WAY was it realistic, his Speed 8 was a massaged P-35 the only real resemblance it had to to the actual Bentley was the shape of the headlights, much like the Parma. The original Stratus, apart from Grille and Headlights was proportionally not scale, the Mazda, not scale, the Stratus 2.0 is ridiculously unrealistic.

I suggest we all remove the rear diffs from our cars if we're gonna run Stratus and Mazda bodies, because those cars are FRONT WHEEL DRIVE !!! If you wanna run RWD you gotta run a CTS-V body, AWD gotta be an AUDI. Please guys. I seek only a passing resemblance to the bodies namesake, and beyond that ALL HAIL THE BEST HANDLING BODY!!!

We race R/C cars, not static models. If you want realism run a Tamiya F201. They're pretty scale if you look past the four-wheel drive.

Do you guys complain about the augmented dancers in your local gentlemen's clubs?

And as far as attracting new blood through realism, GET REAL. Off-road is still more popular than anyform of On-Road racing and they don't run a single class that even remotely resembles a full scale off-road racer.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....

Last edited by CypressMidWest; 12-20-2004 at 01:14 PM.
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #142
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

According to my recent issue of Autoweek, Mazda is set to release a 4WD version of the Mazda 6. Mazda Speed 6.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:45 PM   #143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
The Alfa and Mazda are some of the most popular cars in the SCCA Touring class.
Not really. No Alphas this past year. Only a handful of Mazdas and no 6's till the end of the season. (assuming that you are refering to the Speed Challenge series)
Old 12-20-2004, 01:51 PM   #144
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TRF415boy
Over here you just CAN'T run a new set every run because they are LIMITED in number, so that costs is much cheaper. Foam tyres are more expensive for a set than rubber.
Over where? I've never seen a set of 4 rubber tires, the stupid inserts, and the wheels be ANY less expensive than a set of good old foams. Foams forever, Rubber tires are for Monster Trucks.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:56 PM   #145
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
Really? Thought it was just us...

I'm just quetsioning why we have what we do... ROAR is the american sactioning body, you'd think we'd follow SCCA TC's....

How about TC's run stock, GT's run 19 turn and GTP's run Mod... Just like the real world..... All on the same track too....
SCCA is NOT the only TC series in the US.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:09 PM   #146
Tech Elite

They aren't?
Old 12-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #147
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
The problem with running different bodies for different classes is that they handle so much differently. So if some guy is doing well in stock and wants to move up to 19 turn, he not only needs to buy a differnt body, he has to learn how to set his car up for that body. Also, lets say you want to run two classes such as stock and 19 turn or 19turn and mod, not only do you have to switch motors, you need to change your car to adjust for the aerodynamic differences and reset body posts between heats.

And????? If you want to run 2 classes you should really have 2 cars set up for each class anyway....

I myself would like to see more variety on the track....

The truth is... If we are following the real TC's out there we should be permitted to run 2WD pan cars with a TC body on them.... Since RWD, FWD and AWD are all permitted in full scale racing.... I personally hate FWD cars so you'd never catch me trying to make and RC FWD....

drx, who'd have thought???
Old 12-20-2004, 02:23 PM   #148
Tech Elite

So now we need to buy a car for each class? Sorry, can't get onboard with that logic.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:23 PM   #149
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by CypressMidWest
Do you guys complain about the augmented dancers in your local gentlemen's clubs?
Not the ones that 'handle' well! lol
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #150
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Smash
So now we need to buy a car for each class? Sorry, can't get onboard with that logic.
I've loved waiting for people over the years who run stock and mod with the same car to switch motors and get the car turned around and ready to go....

Just trying to give more options and more variety...

I raced off road in the 80's and early 90's... My return to RC racing was to TC's for the speed and realism factor.... I can pull out my old RC10's for some unrealistic looks....