Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Basics

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Driving Basics

Hey all, for anyone who's new to on-road or new to RC, is there a page out there that has tips on how to take certain corners? I know back when I was playing Gran Turismo on PS2 there was a training mode where it would show you the ideal line through a corner, etc... I think it would be about the same in scale racing.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

as a rough guide to be fast you should be using the smallest amount of steering and the largest amount of throtle possible to get through the corner
Old 12-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Pick up a book about Race Car/ Performance driving at Barnes and Noble or some other bookstore. Almost all major racing schools put out such a book. They all have sections about proper cornering and line choices. Some of them go into great depths with Race Driving mentality and concentration techniques. While you are there, pick up Tune to Win by Carroll Smith. Great insight into vehicle dynamics and suspension geometry, might be getting a little dated now but still very useful.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For a basic corner you want to run, out, in, out. So you go from the outside of the track, accross to the inside onto the apex of the corner and back to the outside of the track. As said about, this way you can carry the most speed and use the least steering.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Just get a copy of Drive to win by Carroll Smith. Its a very good book. Also look at Tune to win by the same guy.

John
Old 12-14-2004, 08:19 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This page will give you something to read until you find a good book or two ..

http://users.pandora.be/elvo/c10/index.htm
Old 12-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Full Scale driving techniques don't fully transfer into RC racing because of the speeds involved.

An RC car can accelerate in scale far quicker than any road car, even more than F1 cars etc.. For this reason the cornering has to be appraiched slightly differently.

The general premise of slow in fast out still holds true as does wide-apex-wide. However the optimum exit line for an RC car is normally approximately the middle of the track rather than right at the far side.

Of course track layout plays a part and can cause exceptions. If you have a right hand hairpin followed by an right hand hairpin or right hand sweeper it makes sense to drop wide anyway on the exit as it gets you into line for the next corner quicker.

The best advice is to watch the top heat guys at your local club, most of them will be hitting the same line and you can then try to trace it in your run.

Andy
Old 12-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Playing video games help in the eye-hand coordination you need for RC racing...
Old 12-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by SG_Racer
Playing video games help in the eye-hand coordination you need for RC racing...
i agree. gran turismo is a nice game to play. because you can tune your car .

wouldnt it be nice if sony or microsoft came out with an adaptor for our transmitter's. that wouled be cool
Old 12-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by adamkerrnz
i agree. gran turismo is a nice game to play. because you can tune your car .

wouldnt it be nice if sony or microsoft came out with an adaptor for our transmitter's. that wouled be cool
Check out http://www.virtualrc.com/products/pr...prid=22&pcid=2

They actually have a usb adaptor that plugs into your reciever and you can use your real transmitter.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

^ that game is wicked for practicing on. very realistic. i just wish i owned the adaptor, i play it nearly everyday when im bored
Old 12-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Adept

I've got the adaptor, works very well and makes the game all the more realistic.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

im racer who does not get the chance to run because of heavy work load. what i do to improve on my driving is to visualize the track...this way, i get to master the racing line. good driving is really knowing the basics of racing and practicing.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Or check out this thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...orner+speed%2A

It's 14 pages and sometimes off topic, but there are some real good info inside it...
Old 12-15-2004, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

adamkerrnz & Andy M,

Would you say this game has helped your R/C driving? Has it helped you stay sharp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.