Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is Boosted Racing Fading  ?   ? >

Is Boosted Racing Fading ? ?

Is Boosted Racing Fading ? ?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wtcc
I could never understand why somebody wants to run boosted in stock classes. Why not just use a 10,5t instead of 17,5t boosted? With this said I think the technology is awesome, but for the coming real 1:1 E-Cars. For RC-Stock-Racing it seems pointless...
Absolutely agree with this. It should be mod or stock. For mod, choose your motor boosted or non-boosted it doesn't matter, its mod.

Originally Posted by Highside20

I think the major problem is that newbie’s want to be able to win right off without any real effort. They expect to show up and be on pace right out the box with their RTR car. Where is the challenge in that? The true fun in the sport is making yourself better and improving from race to race.
Everyone who's been around know that isn't possible boosted or non-boosted. Newbies can barely keep their cars on the track with the crappy kit motor let alone brushless and even boosted.

In fact newbies like to have boosted so they can have more speed to make up for their lack of handling skills. However, we all know that slower speeds are better for them to master their skills in racing.

Blinky places more emphasis on handling to achieve better lap times

Boosted places more emphasis on speed.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

In Belgium, we race TC 17.5T boosted, 10.5T boosted and mod. In holland it's 13.5T blinky, 13.5T boosted and mod.
17.5T boosted is the most popular class in the onroad so that's why I drive it (and because I just started driving onroad).
Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Let's make sure we aren't confusing "stock" and "spec".... Stock racing does not mean every car or piece of equipment needs to be equal. It simply refers to a slower form of racing than the "Open" classes.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
My local track runs boosted ESC's with 21.5 motors in VTA and they are getting like 25 cars a week on average. It doesn't make sense to me but it seems to be bringing folks to the track. WGT is boosted 13.5 and thats the 2nd biggest class then our new F1 class is blinky mode and growing fast. We are getting almost 50 entries now on sundays. So I guess the boosted ESC has not killed racing in Toledo so far.
what track is this?? i might have to come 1 weekend
Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Absolutely agree with this. It should be mod or stock. For mod, choose your motor boosted or non-boosted it doesn't matter, its mod.

Everyone who's been around know that isn't possible boosted or non-boosted. Newbies can barely keep their cars on the track with the crappy kit motor let alone brushless and even boosted.

In fact newbies like to have boosted so they can have more speed to make up for their lack of handling skills. However, we all know that slower speeds are better for them to master their skills in racing.

Blinky places more emphasis on handling to achieve better lap times

Boosted places more emphasis on speed.
+1
Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Let's make sure we aren't confusing "stock" and "spec".... Stock racing does not mean every car or piece of equipment needs to be equal. It simply refers to a slower form of racing than the "Open" classes.
Good Point
Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LMRacing
I dont think it has anything to do with lazyness in working on the car. I have to work on the car more running non boosted than I did with boosted because the car cant make up for lost speed in a corner as easily. Same as with VTA, the cars are so much slower you have to be dead on your lines and keep as much corner speed as possible because you cant make up for a mistake on the straight so its more important to work on the car and make sure it can take the corners as fast as possible.
I watched one of our fastest boosted drivers struggle with non-boosted, you have to work on your set-up.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The problem is that mod is more dead than boosted racing. How many mod cars were at Champs? People seem to shy away from mod.

Why can't there be something in the middle? Is this not why they have a sportsman class (spec motors with boost). Something faster than blinky super slow and not as light speed as mod.

Saying there should be mod and spec only makes it go from one extreem to another. We need something in the middle.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Saying there should be mod and spec only makes it go from one extreme to another. We need something in the middle.
I agree. Boosted makes for a nice middle ground.

Mod is a lot of fun, but it's so much harder on the car than 13.5 boosted or slower.

I just hate the way blinky throttle feels. Like driving an automatic suzuki swift or similar gutless POS.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Modified is all but dead in the UK as only the top few drivers can handle the speed. On a small track blinky gives close competetive racing but lets face it, even a 10.5 is slow.

I run 13.5 and 10.5 boosted, where I race they are by far the most popular and most competetive classes, fast enough to be a challenge slow enough to be drivable. Don't get me wrong, I hate having to faff around with speedo settings to get 1/100sec off a lap time but is it any differant to putting a 0.25mm shim under a ballstud to alter a roll centre to achieve the same thing?

The fastest drivers will still be the fastest drivers regardless of what motor class they are in, might be a coincidence but the fastest driver are the ones who spend the most time setting up their cars and by doing the most testing.

Bb
Old 11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

The problem is that mod is more dead than boosted racing. How many mod cars were at Champs? People seem to shy away from mod.

Why can't there be something in the middle? Is this not why they have a sportsman class (spec motors with boost). Something faster than blinky super slow and not as light speed as mod.

Saying there should be mod and spec only makes it go from one extreem to another. We need something in the middle.
Okay, 13.5 blinky or 10.5 blinky. Thats faster and still not boosted.

The problem with boosted is that there are too many variables involved that can make one motor of the same wind outrun another also of the same wind by a very large margin. A mod class will ignore all those inequalities because its an "anything goes" class. However, if you want to have a faster "spec" class, blinky is the only way to go to keep it fair.

Honestly the benefit of is boost is only on the straight. If that is the only way you can win a race, then its no longer "onroad" racing its just drag racing. BTW, newbies like that because thats an easy way for them to win.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wtcc
In Germany the boosted classes are nearly dead. Very few are still interested in downloading new software on their esc just to have some Teamdrivers around at a race that have a "newer" software. In blinky this stupidity is over.
I am attending the LRP-HPI-Challenge and just bought one X12 17,5t and can race with the best in this class without thinking about motortemperature or having to fear some of them has a better X12. We have all the same speed on the straights.

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I was going to post but you made it easy. I agree 100%.
Yes much better than have those team guys show up with a motor you can't have or a special rotor you also can't have. Maybe special packs and or overcharging at unsafe levels like we've seen at recent ROAR events....

edit: I have a feeling a lot of the people complaining about "unfair advantages" do not remember the days of having to tune your own brushed motors or fight for the best matched packs.

Anyone remember showing up at an electric nationals and see the stacks of motors and batteries that the "factory" guys were using?

I am all for a balanced field and its all about skill to win races, but R/C has never been anything about fair and mostly about who was able to bring the biggest gun to the fight.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Honestly the benefit of is boost is only on the straight. If that is the only way you can win a race, then its no longer "onroad" racing its just drag racing. BTW, newbies like that because thats an easy way for them to win.
Really? At the track where I race, a 10.5 blinky would be eaten alive by a 13.5 boosted and not just down the straight either, infact a 17.5 boosted would likely do the same.

As for being a newbie, I have been racing for 25years and I still have loads to learn but one thing I do know is that speed without contol won't win races

Bb
Old 11-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Buckyaga
I am all for a balanced field and its all about skill to win races, but R/C has never been anything about fair and mostly about who was able to bring the biggest gun to the fight.
Yeah right! let Moore, Rhienhart, Volker, Jeffies, Harper ect have a drive of your car, see if they can beat your lap times?

Bb
Old 11-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

...I think the major problem is that newbie’s want to be able to win right off without any real effort. They expect to show up and be on pace right out the box with their RTR car. Where is the challenge in that? The true fun in the sport is making yourself better and improving from race to race....
...Honestly the benefit of is boost is only on the straight. If that is the only way you can win a race, then its no longer "onroad" racing its just drag racing. BTW, newbies like that because thats an easy way for them to win.
It's so nice to FINALLY see someone blaming newbies for the problems in on-road!

We're running blinky in TC here. It's going great so far.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.