R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Still having heat issues? On 2 cars now (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/57254-still-having-heat-issues-2-cars-now.html)

MDL 12-11-2004 02:10 PM

Still having heat issues? On 2 cars now

Guys,

This is starting to really get to me, I have 2 TB02's one with the Tamiya RS540 and one with an epic ROAR stock Pro with aluminm heat sink.

I was out having some fun last night cool's weather and both motor's are over heating. I didn't think that I have either of them geared to high. The RS540 I am using the middle Spur 58T and a 22 pinion. On the Epic I am using a 55t spur and a 23 pinion. This motor I have had issues with always. I have never had it geared on the 58T spur. All we where doin was some lap's up and down the street. The only way that I can tell there too hot is by touch and no you can't keep your finger on them longer than a sec.

All the drive shaft is clear and other drive issues. I thought with the RS540 being a 23 turn it should have handle it better.

Just wondering weather you guys have any ideas?

MDL

J-P 12-11-2004 02:30 PM

probably geared to high, but if your just running up and down the street flat out it will get very hot!! try running around a parking lot with a basic track laid out and for 5 minutes then see how hot its getting.

J-P:sneaky:

Rick Hohwart 12-11-2004 02:31 PM

So why do you think they are too hot? Actual motor temperature means means nothing if that is all you are evaluating.

The only way to tell if it is too hot is by looking at the condition of the brushes and commutator. if they are discolored the motor is probably overgeared or there is a bind in the drivetrain.

In fact I would say that if you can touch your motor for more than a second after your run, you are not working it hard enough. They are supposed to run hot.

Korey Harbke 12-11-2004 02:54 PM

:nod:

NismoSkyline17 12-11-2004 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
So why do you think they are too hot? Actual motor temperature means means nothing if that is all you are evaluating.

The only way to tell if it is too hot is by looking at the condition of the brushes and commutator. if they are discolored the motor is probably overgeared or there is a bind in the drivetrain.

In fact I would say that if you can touch your motor for more than a second after your run, you are not working it hard enough. They are supposed to run hot.

Actually motor temperature has alot to do with it. Heat is the enemy of the magnets. You want the motor to run around 150*F. Any more than that and the heat will cause the magnetized particles to miss align and therefore cause your magnets to get weak. And if they are heated enough the magnets will break loose from the can and end your race in a hurry. The discoloration of the brushes are a telltale sign but they will discolor even if the motor is just a little bit over or undergeared.

Joe B 12-11-2004 07:31 PM

Exactly Like Rick Hohwart said....... ;)

redheat8 12-11-2004 07:54 PM

I would check the gear mesh and make sure that you dont have any binding , does the ESC get hot too? RED

MrRolla 12-11-2004 08:04 PM

MDL,

Since your in Australia i can relate to this very well, the last 2 race meets i have had ambient temp was about 31-35C track temp had to be over 50C.

Everyones motor was comming off the track hot last week, even the chassis of the car was red hot.. Its getting to the point where a fan might be a good idea. I have also been running a rollout 2-4mm less than i would normally use..

mafiaracers 12-11-2004 11:04 PM

Its soo cold here, I really don't have a problem at all with my motor temperature. I'd be lucky to run 145 degrees after a race...stock off road 2w buggy. The air temp during a friday night race has been as low as 45 degrees....usually 50 on a regular basis.

MDL 12-12-2004 01:38 AM

yeah, but I think that the comm is getting to hot, I mean a couple of meet's ago there was a temp gun there and it was 85 degree's and this is hotter again. I just thought with the gearing that i have it should be this hot. would a tight diff make it work more?

MDl

Korey Harbke 12-12-2004 01:51 AM

Motor heat doesn't matter to a certain point. If they are fading then something is wrong with gearing or motor setup. Trinity stock motors fade easy, because the magnets tend to demagnitize easier. The magents they use in modified motors are proabbly the best, because they do demagnitize as easy. I agree with Rick Howart fully though. If your motor is cold, your not pushing at hard enough.

-Korey